Garrett speaking at Princeton Univ

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Actually he’s exactly what college coaches are now. They’re more about self actualizing and growing the person than just X’s And O’s primarily because when you only have guys focus on football that’s how you get the Irvin’s teammates at the U and that doesn’t fly today.

Trust me I’ve worked for FBS coaches who played in New Years Bowl games recently. This is how their taught to reach players today at their coaches conventions.

Players football acumens are much different now. If they can’t understand something in 5 seconds they give up. Coaching is now all about teaching. Belicheck has his success due to his skins on the wall and everyone in the locker room respects Brady. His approach is actually very outdated.

Shouldn't we go for the outdated approach that actually works ? :facepalm:

GenoT

Reaction score
Really? I thought he was DC in Denver, but didn't know he made HC. Buffalo doesn't cross my mind. I can't remember the last game of theirs I've seen.
Don’t have the dates, but it was a while back for both of Wade’s pre-Dallas HC stints.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
He still sucks and needs to be fired.
Well he’s still probably a top 10-12 coach in the league so good luck finding a replacement.

Only ones definitely better:
Belicheck
Reid
McVay
Nagy
Pederson
Carroll

Two who I don’t think as highly of as everyone else:
Tomlin (clearly can’t control his locker room and has wasted talent. His super bowl was with Cowhers players.)

Payton (since his super bowl which was right before Garrett took over they went 7-9 3 straight years and last year ended the season averaging 19 ppg once they played Dallas through the end of the year. The crowd is the biggest home field advantage in the league)

Everyone else has huge flaws.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Shouldn't we go for the outdated approach that actually works ? :facepalm:
Well Monday through Saturday he is easily the best coach in the league at getting a locker room to by in. On Sundays he’s only top 10-12. So while I’d prefer Lincoln Riley, there’s not a whole lot of replacements that will give you everything Garrett does.

It’s a lot harder than you think to keep today’s locker room under control. Look at the Chiefs.

No Garrett hasn’t won a championship yet and he would have deserved to be fired last year had the team not gone 7-2 down the stretch once they got Cooper.

And we all agree that anything less than an NFC Championship berth will have him out (barring a Warriors type injury bug in the middle of the divisional game)

But if you can’t get Lincoln Riley, be careful because you could be Lakers that think you should fire a B coach and then have to hire a C- coach because you can’t get the one you want.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Actually he’s exactly what college coaches are now. They’re more about self actualizing and growing the person than just X’s And O’s primarily because when you only have guys focus on football that’s how you get the Irvin’s teammates at the U and that doesn’t fly today.

Love him or hate him, Garrett is what he is. He’s not the clown that haters like to paint him as, but he’s no Bill Parcells either.

Garrett is a delegator and a motivator. Players like playing for him. But people who say, for example, that he won’t let Kellen Moore bring creativity to the offense have no idea what they’re talking about. Quite the opposite, he’s a big picture guy who leaves the details to his assistants, for better or worse.

Wizarus

Reaction score
Well Monday through Saturday he is easily the best coach in the league at getting a locker room to by in. On Sundays he’s only top 10-12. So while I’d prefer Lincoln Riley, there’s not a whole lot of replacements that will give you everything Garrett does.

It’s a lot harder than you think to keep today’s locker room under control. Look at the Chiefs.

No Garrett hasn’t won a championship yet and he would have deserved to be fired last year had the team not gone 7-2 down the stretch once they got Cooper.

And we all agree that anything less than an NFC Championship berth will have him out (barring a Warriors type injury bug in the middle of the divisional game)

But if you can’t get Lincoln Riley, be careful because you could be Lakers that think you should fire a B coach and then have to hire a C- coach because you can’t get the one you want.
I'll concede to Garrett being top 10 Monday-Saturday, but Garrett no where near top 10 on Sundays, not with his record.

Fire407

Reaction score
Love him or hate him, Garrett is what he is. He’s not the clown that haters like to paint him as, but he’s no Bill Parcells either.

Garrett is a delegator and a motivator. Players like playing for him. But people who say, for example, that he won’t let Kellen Moore bring creativity to the offense have no idea what they’re talking about. Quite the opposite, he’s a big picture guy who leaves the details to his assistants, for better or worse.
I would agree on motivator, Jerry is the delegator.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
One more year...

Don’t say that @Sarge - because if you’re right that means a 9-7 bounced-in-the-wildcard round kind of season and this team is way too talented for that.

I’m thinking a 14-2, first round bye, championship game team that results in a 5-year extension is the desired outcome.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Like Garrett or hate him, much of JG's fate will apparently rest upon what he does this year. He'll be saddled with having an improved record in 2019, according to Jerry, who claims he's not satisfied with merely getting into the playoffs without progressing any further than they have in recent years. Many adjustments to the offense should invite some intriguing questions, to be sure.

It'll most likely be a difficult challenge to make a deep playoff run happen, considering the difficulty of the upcoming season's schedule. That should prove to offer an interesting task in determining how that scenario shakes out in 2019. According to Jerry, it'll be a make it or break it year for Garrett and his team to improve noticeably, or else. We'll shall see if JG is up to the task or not. That should be intriguing, for sure.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well he’s still probably a top 10-12 coach in the league so good luck finding a replacement.

Only ones definitely better:
Belicheck
Reid
McVay
Nagy
Pederson
Carroll

Two who I don’t think as highly of as everyone else:
Tomlin (clearly can’t control his locker room and has wasted talent. His super bowl was with Cowhers players.)

Payton (since his super bowl which was right before Garrett took over they went 7-9 3 straight years and last year ended the season averaging 19 ppg once they played Dallas through the end of the year. The crowd is the biggest home field advantage in the league)

Everyone else has huge flaws.
This is a fair point. I personally feel like moving on from Garrett would be appropriate because he has had longer than coaches normally get and we have had difficulty staying consistently competitive year after year. Nevertheless, that doesn’t put him at the bottom rung of coaches the way many Cowboy fans seem to think. If they would bother to look around the league with a fair minded view they would see there really aren’t that many doing better and most aren’t doing as well.