Twitter: Garrett trying to convince Witten to stay

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s you. If the ratings weren’t up to par for Monday Night Fooball they would discontinue it.
The ratings were low enough they took it off of Network TV. Cable ratings don’t have to be as high to continue airing.

My bigger point is MNF doesn’t carry the prestige it once had. If Witten was being offered Sunday Night Football I might agree.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Garrett will never be successful as a HC.......the two good seasons we've under him were in spite of him NOT because of him.
“ never” is a big and everlasting word. It can set you up to not only be wrong but agenda driven like your not rooting for him to win in order to prove yourself right.

I’d rather say “ based on what we’ve seen thus far it’s not likely he’ll win a championship” . Which is what I’m assuming you mean?

Otherwise using only “ successful” that’s a subjective term which might mean different things to different people. Just saying Ron.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The ratings were low enough they took it off of Network TV. Cable ratings don’t have to be as high to continue airing.

My bigger point is MNF doesn’t carry the prestige it once had. If Witten was being offered Sunday Night Football I might agree.

The ratings have been down for all NFL footbal. We’re over saturated by NFL football. There’s too much of it. You have three games on Sunday, the Monday night game and a Thursday night game. Put whatever spin you want on it but the MNF gig is a great opportunity. It lost a lot if it’s aura with the departure of the original crew many years ago but it’s still a great gig. Jon Gruden was doing that and the NFL draft on ESPN. It beats being part of the third or fourth broadcasting team on a network.

cern

Reaction score
Despite the fact he's getting older, the reason his catches are decreasing is more a matter of his role. He's asked to block more than be a pass catching te. And I get the feeling he's not particularly ecstatic about it. MNF Witt. You deserve it.

jnday

Reaction score
Witten has given 100% to Dallas while playing hurt, sticking with the team during terrible years, etc. They have no right to ask anything more from him. Garrett is being really selfish.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The ratings have been down for all NFL footbal. We’re over saturated by NFL football. There’s too much of it. You have three games on Sunday, the Monday night game and a Thursday night game. Put whatever spin you want on it but the MNF gig is a great opportunity. It lost a lot if it’s aura with the departure of the original crew many years ago but it’s still a great gig. Jon Gruden was doing that and the NFL draft on ESPN. It beats being part of the third or fourth broadcasting team on a network.
Who says Witten would be relegated to third or fourth broadcasting team?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Apparently Garrett thinks it’s important. Wonder why that is?

Maybe Garrett is looking out for Garrett, something he has done his entire career.

If Witten leaves, we might not make the playoffs...............no playoffs, yet again, and Clappy might be shown the door.

Ergo, that is why Garrett is over at Witten's house on his knees begging the dude not to retire.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Surely we can get a good look while Witten is still on the roster ?

Fans forget that coaches watch these guys in practice every day where fans only judgement is on Game Day.

You mean the same group of coaches that watched Chaz Green in practice and thought, "he looks pretty good playing LT".:facepalm:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Where are the network offers for him to be part of one of the number one broadcasting teams?
You said third or fourth. I’m thinking he could be a second teamer. I don’t even know who the second team is on CBS. Do you without looking it up?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Witten should do what is best for him and his family.

Witten should know by now that Garrett is not taking this team to any SB, this season or any other upcoming season, so its not like he is passing up a chance at a ring here.

Witten should decide if passing on the MNF gig is worth coming back to Dallas and helping the team get to 9-7 again.

Cap12

Reaction score
I love Witten and love for him to come back, but it's hard to ask him to give up a really job that he could be in for the next two decades. Maybe it's time to take the training wheels off Dak and force him to spread the ball around more. He relied too much on Witten and Dez last season (which really hurt Beasley and Williams value). Those guys were open more proportionally than they were thrown to.

Cap12

Reaction score
Right . The same ones who picked Dak over Romo.
In Dak's defense, he was under more duress in the Atlanta game than all season long. Yeah, he holds the ball too long and needs to get the ball out sooner with better footwork and throwing mechanics, but at least 3 of those sacks were totally on Green.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You said third or fourth. I’m thinking he could be a second teamer. I don’t even know who the second team is on CBS. Do you without looking it up?

I should have included the number two team but I don’t see him bumping Aikman on Fox, Romo on CBS or Collinsworth on NBC for any of those number one spots. Being a lead analyst on MNF is better than a number two spot on a Network especially when you’re being offered 4M to 4.5M according to reports.

erod

Reaction score
I
Why? No offense to Witten, but he's done. No way he comes back. Besides, the other TEs deserve an opportunity. Let's move on.

If he's done, then so are most tight ends in football. He's more productive than half the tight ends still.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I love Witten and love for him to come back, but it's hard to ask him to give up a really job that he could be in for the next two decades. Maybe it's time to take the training wheels off Dak and force him to spread the ball around more. He relied too much on Witten and Dez last season (which really hurt Beasley and Williams value). Those guys were open more proportionally than they were thrown to.
OMG.. Dak had training wheels on. And we relied on Dez and Witten that much? That’s certainly not the vibe I’m sensing from this forum?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I should have included the number two team but I don’t see him bumping Aikman on Fox, Romo on CBS or Collinsworth on NBC for any of those number one spots. Being a lead analyst on MNF is better than a number two spot on a Network especially when you’re being offered 4M to 4.5M according to reports.
I agree. I don’t see him bumping the #1 analysts which right there says the networks are a bigger gig than ESPN.

I’m not sure if the #2 on the networks isn’t bigger than MNF?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
You were that much more impressed with Bell?

Did Bell give up 8 sacks in a game?

Bottom line is that these coaches you are so enamored with put a player in a live game at LT that was woefully unprepared or qualified to play the position. Furthermore, the beating the franchise QB took as a result of their incompetence affected him the rest of the season because he was never quite the same after that game.

Maybe that is why they fired OL coach.