Twitter: Garrett trying to convince Witten to stay

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm not saying any of these guys is any good. They may all suck. What we also know is Witten has lived in reputation for several years. Enough padding of his stats. Time to move on.

Well, my concern is that they all might suck. I know Witten's time is coming to an end. He's winding down an excellent career and has been for a few years, but he may still be the best combination of blocking and receiving that we have at the position.

I'd rather see him out the door when we know we have his replacement. And I do blame the fact that we don't know on this coaching staff. It has leaned on Witten when it needed to see what his potential replacements can do. ... Of course, maybe they know what his potential replacements can do and that's why Garrett's trying to convince him to stay.

I don't want to have Witten leave and have to start a tight end who is so poor at blocking that it destroys our running game. (Yes, I'm looking at you Gavin Escobar!) And I don't want to have to put in one who can block but is such a non-entity in the passing game that he's not even worthy of sending out into patterns. Witten is limited at this point, but even a limited Witten is better than that.

The one hope for me if Witten does retire (which I think he will because of the opportunity) and the other TEs suck is Jamize Olawale. I think he gives us a good receiving threat out of the backfield and we could use the fullback more because of it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The league is about winning something we have not done. We should be trying to replace players who's production has declined. Can't get all emotionally attached
When we get a TE that has proven he can replace Witten , let me know.

Let these kids beat Witten out in training camp and we’ll cut Witten. Fast..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Who’s picking up Wittens 60-70 receptions even in his declining years?

His receptions haven’t fallen off that much in recent years.
http://www.nfl.com/player/jasonwitten/2505629/careerstats

Dunno but I’m ready to move on from the old era.

If they can disrespect the Cowboys all time leader in TD receptions then they can let Witten take a TV job.

No disrespect for Witten but Garrett failed all of these guys including him. It’s time to move on.

We’re going to struggle to find big plays through the air this year and Witten taking a 100% of the snaps isn’t going to make it easier.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dunno but I’m ready to move on from the old era.

If they can disrespect the Cowboys all time leader in TD receptions then they can let Witten take a TV job.

No disrespect for Witten but Garrett failed all of these guys including him. It’s time to move on.

We’re going to struggle to find big plays through the air this year and Witten taking a 100% of the snaps isn’t going to make it easier.
We’re all ready to move on but it’s not smart business to let go until you have a replacement or player isn’t worth the money any longer.

You do want the best talent starting?

And what makes you think Jerry, Stephen and Garrett won’t fail all of these guys ?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
When we get a TE that has proven he can replace Witten , let me know.

Let these kids beat Witten out in training camp and we’ll cut Witten. Fast..
It's pretty much known that Witten doesn't give up any snaps to develop other guys. Also does not mentor any of the younger guys and heard other than his brokeback mountain relationship with Romo he's pretty standoffish

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There will be a job for Witten after football in a booth or a studio.

There was a time when this team seemed to struggle to get into the Hall of Fame, yet every Steeler, including the water boy were first ballot choices.

This team will be dominating the color men soon enough. If Sean Lee doesn't go into coaching, then he will also be in a booth.

One more year, Jason. And teach Schultz the phrase, "I catch everything."

Sounds like “After football” is already happening for Witt. Let the man have a real life. These players are real people with bodies that take punishment and a family to think about. They don’t just exist for our viewing pleasure or hero worship.

These players are real people, not robots.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
I’m trying to recall the last time a player retired on his own accord without the threat of being released , traded or an injury?

The only one I can think of off hand is Robert Smith. Led the NFC in rushing and retired at the end of the year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The reason we had a losing culture wasn’t because of talent like Witten. It was because we didn’t have many others like him.

Ok . I’m done now. Lol

You either get it or you don’t . I tried. Good night.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
-------Something like, "play one more and teach me like Romo usedto so I can keep my job. I'll even let you call plays in the huddle like Romo did."

TOTAL desperation move....let him go Clapping Carrot, you've screwed up enough things. Let Schultz get one year under his belt for the new HC in 2019 after you fail again.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that calls him that

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The reason we had a losing culture wasn’t because of talent like Witten. It was because we didn’t have many others like him.

Ok . I’m done now. Lol

You either get it or you don’t . I tried. Good night.
We have had a losing culture here because of the man who qualified for the lifetime GM position with his checkbook is in charge. It’s still amazes me how quick fans are to blame young players who come and go, while looking at the guy who has been responsible for this team’s culture for nearly three decades say, “Oh well, it’s his team”. (Not saying that’s you Greggo)

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What we also know is Witten has lived in reputation for several years. Enough padding of his stats.

His padding of stats gave us reliable production, and gave Dak a reliable target. With all the turnover at WR, keeping TE stable has some value.

And with the lack of quality behind Witten, there is extra motivation to keep him. Rico "Work in Progress" Gathers does not sound ready for prime time. Nor Blake UDFA Jarwin. Swaim is ok. Witten is better.

Zman5

Reaction score
Yes, and when we have the talent to replace them then it will be time to let them go.

If the backup TE’s beat Witten out then kick his butt to the curb. But until then..

The problem is JG has no clue when it comes to evaluating talent.

The only way we found out Miles Austin was better than Roy Will was due to injury. Same thing with Demarco vs Felix Jones.

How is that both of these guys didn't get more playing time before the starters were injured is beyond me. All they did was break the franchise records for most yards in their first game as starters.

There might be a TE on the roster that is much better than current Witt but we would never know until they get a chance to play significant snaps.

Verdict

Reaction score
Well, my concern is that they all might suck. I know Witten's time is coming to an end. He's winding down an excellent career and has been for a few years, but he may still be the best combination of blocking and receiving that we have at the position.

I'd rather see him out the door when we know we have his replacement. And I do blame the fact that we don't know on this coaching staff. It has leaned on Witten when it needed to see what his potential replacements can do. ... Of course, maybe they know what his potential replacements can do and that's why Garrett's trying to convince him to stay.

I don't want to have Witten leave and have to start a tight end who is so poor at blocking that it destroys our running game. (Yes, I'm looking at you Gavin Escobar!) And I don't want to have to put in one who can block but is such a non-entity in the passing game that he's not even worthy of sending out into patterns. Witten is limited at this point, but even a limited Witten is better than that.

The one hope for me if Witten does retire (which I think he will because of the opportunity) and the other TEs suck is Jamize Olawale. I think he gives us a good receiving threat out of the backfield and we could use the fullback more because of it.

My biggest knock on Witten is his blocking. Quite honestly he seems to be a horrible blocker. I'm not sure that any NFL tight end would be as bad as he is.

Witten catches everything thrown to him and he knows where to sit down in zones but otherwise he is pretty much done.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Garrett, think of his longterm future not your own............Witten, consider what's best for you and your family.....not what this moron says to save his career for another year.
My sentiments exactly, take the long term opportunity Witten.

Verdict

Reaction score
His padding of stats gave us reliable production, and gave Dak a reliable target. With all the turnover at WR, keeping TE stable has some value.

And with the lack of quality behind Witten, there is extra motivation to keep him. Rico "Work in Progress" Gathers does not sound ready for prime time. Nor Blake UDFA Jarwin. Swaim is ok. Witten is better.

It gave us a limited offense, limited options and pissed off first down opportunities.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The problem is JG has no clue when it comes to evaluating talent.

The only way we found out Miles Austin was better than Roy Will was due to injury. Same thing with Demarco vs Felix Jones.

How is that both of these guys didn't get more playing time before the starters were injured is beyond me. All they did was break the franchise records for most yards in their first game as starters.

There might be a TE on the roster that is much better than current Witt but we would never know until they get a chance to play significant snaps.

That would be the only positive in Witten retiring. It would force Dallas to give these other TEs a chance. My fear is that they won't be any good, but I guess we would at least find that out.

Zman5

Reaction score
That would be the only positive in Witten retiring. It would force Dallas to give these other TEs a chance. My fear is that they won't be any good, but I guess we would at least find that out.

They could all suck or one of them could turn out to be another Miles or Demarco. At least we would know so that we can do something about it if they all suck.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
The selfish side of me,wants him to play one more year. But it has to be because he feels he can do it,and most importantly “wants to.” 90% of the time,when a player is going ..”Ok I’m ready.” that’s when it’s time. So long as he’s cool with that,then it’s cool. But I am glad Garrett is trying....Kinda felt cheated not getting to enjoy his last games,and say goodbye. Easily one of my all-time fav NFL players.