Twitter: Garrett trying to convince Witten to stay

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They could all suck or one of them could turn out to be another Miles or Demarco. At least we would know so that we can do something about it if they all suck.

Won't help us much this season if they all suck, so unless we are throwing this year away, I'm not a big fan of the give it a shot plan. Of course, it looks like we're not going to really have a choice, so I do hope for the best. Maybe Rico will take a big step forward, maybe Jarwin is the real deal, maybe we've lucked into another Witten with Schultz, maybe Swaim just needs an opportunity to do more. Don't like relying on maybes, but it's what we've go for now ... and if all of them suck during camp, there's always the possibility we could trade for at least a serviceable one.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sounds like “After football” is already happening for Witt. Let the man have a real life. These players are real people with bodies that take punishment and a family to think about. They don’t just exist for our viewing pleasure or hero worship.

These players are real people, not robots.

They get compensated for being the entertainers they are.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
Garrett believes they could make the Super Bowl this year and doesn't want Witten to miss it?

Zman5

Reaction score
Won't help us much this season if they all suck, so unless we are throwing this year away, I'm not a big fan of the give it a shot plan. Of course, it looks like we're not going to really have a choice, so I do hope for the best. Maybe Rico will take a big step forward, maybe Jarwin is the real deal, maybe we've lucked into another Witten with Schultz, maybe Swaim just needs an opportunity to do more. Don't like relying on maybes, but it's what we've go for now ... and if all of them suck during camp, there's always the possibility we could trade for at least a serviceable one.

Unless we can get a proven vet who is still young, nothing's going to be guaranteed. FO and coaching staff really screwed up with this one.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Let the guy move on. Seems pretty clear he has been looking towards life after football for a year now.

Next man up!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s now or never for that Monday Night Football job opening for Witten. They’re looking to replace Gruden and once it’s filled there goes that opportunity. He has to ask himself if one more season of football is worth passing up that opportunity. The team is going to be looking to replace him in the next couple of years anyway.

tico

Reaction score
Witten your going to need a good secretary that has great clapping ability

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That would be the only positive in Witten retiring. It would force Dallas to give these other TEs a chance. My fear is that they won't be any good, but I guess we would at least find that out.
It will be a very good offseason for judging how well the wide receivers and tight ends mesh as a whole in the passing scheme. This may end up being the most interesting preseason slate of games in over a decade just for watching the offense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s now or never for that Monday Night Football job opening for Witten. They’re looking to replace Gruden and once it’s filled there goes that opportunity. He has to ask himself if one more season of football is worth passing up that opportunity. The team is going to be looking to replace him in the next couple of years anyway.
ESPN has the ability to add a 3rd announcer if they choose or they can re assign like CBS did with Simms and knowing Witten might be interested only sign a guy to a 1 year contract.

I’m not sure why some fans think this is a once in a lifetime opportunity like it was a Supreme Court nomination ? Lol

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I hope Jason does stay, and while it is true if he turns down the offer by ESPN he will lose out on the job, however I think Witten can still have a career in the NFL in coaching as an assistant in Dallas.

dckid

Reaction score

The most amazing aspect of this is the fact that the organization being ill prepared for something like this.
Actually let me take that back.. of course we would be in this situation. Our GM was in the Bahamas during the first week of Free Agency.

I was pounding the table to try and get Eifert or Seferian-jenkins, Ebron or Brate. Why are we begging someone to play their 16th season?
Bill B, would have already had his replacement on the roster.
HOPE IS NOT A STRATEGY

Section446

Reaction score
Outside of "leadership", he brings nothing to this team and is holding the offense back... Time to move on.

cern

Reaction score
Time for witten to move from football on his own terms. Momma Witt and the kids have spoken. He's gone.