Twitter: Garrett trying to convince Witten to stay

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The most amazing aspect of this is the fact that the organization being ill prepared for something like this.
Actually let me take that back.. of course we would be in this situation. Our GM was in the Bahamas during the first week of Free Agency.

I was pounding the table to try and get Eifert or Seferian-jenkins, Ebron or Brate. Why are we begging someone to play their 16th season?
Bill B, would have already had his replacement on the roster.
HOPE IS NOT A STRATEGY
They had every reason to have the expectation of Witten playing. Until Witten says otherwise, there is no need to be pounding the table(LOL) to try and get someone else. So now Witten is thinking about making a career change and the Cowboys are acting accordingly to replace him. You can not prepare for this any better than they did unless you let fruit wither on the vine waiting for Witten to retire. NE has the same situation with Tom Brady. They've had replacements for him but Tom keeps on playing and the replacement goes else where so that resource is not wasted waiting for Tom to retire. Now they are ill-prepared to replace Tom.

dckid

Reaction score
They had every reason to have the expectation of Witten playing. Until Witten says otherwise, there is no need to be pounding the table(LOL) to try and get someone else. So now Witten is thinking about making a career change and the Cowboys are acting accordingly to replace him. You can not prepare for this any better than they did unless you let fruit wither on the vine waiting for Witten to retire. NE has the same situation with Tom Brady. They've had replacements for him but Tom keeps on playing and the replacement goes else where so that resource is not wasted waiting for Tom to retire. Now they are ill-prepared to replace Tom.

Sorry Joe I disagree. Brady is a once in a lifetime type player who even at 41 is in the MVP conversation and is a perennial All Pro.
Bill B did not want to trade Jimmy G, it was the Kraft family that forced him to trade Jimmy. Bill saw his QB for the next 10-12 years in Jimmy G.
Witten and Brady cannot be compared.
The only Cowboys comparison is Emmit to Brady. We all know how that turned out.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Garrett doesn't want to let his "garrett guy" leave. The less snitch, brown nosers in the locker room the better. After what happened with Dez, it really has a chance to divide the locker room.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Sorry Joe I disagree. Brady is a once in a lifetime type player who even at 41 is in the MVP conversation and is a perennial All Pro.
Bill B did not want to trade Jimmy G, it was the Kraft family that forced him to trade Jimmy. Bill saw his QB for the next 10-12 years in Jimmy G.
Witten and Brady cannot be compared.
The only Cowboys comparison is Emmit to Brady. We all know how that turned out.
I'm not going to allow you to disrespect a Cowboys legend like that. Jason Witten is a once in a lifetime type player as well... first ballet hall of famer. Get out of here with your disrespect of Witten. Boo, shame on you. So wrong! :thumbdown:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm not going to allow you to disrespect a Cowboys legend like that. Jason Witten is a once in a lifetime type player as well... first ballet hall of famer. Get out of here with your disrespect of Witten. Boo, shame on you. So wrong! :thumbdown:

I have a ton of respect for Jason. He has laid it on the line for this team for 15 years missing 1 game in all that time. I would hate to see him leave but understand if in the end that is what he chooses. In my eyes Jason is one of the greats to play for this organization.

dckid

Reaction score

Joe, Witten is not comparable to Brady. He is a HOF, great Cowboy, Ring of Honor but don't let that cloud the actual situation.
The organization is ill prepared like usual.
They should have had his replacement on the roster, and asked him to retire or take a much smaller role.
If the Chargers can move on from Gates, why cant we move on from Witten?

No one in their right mind would take Witten over Gates. Or maybe your would?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I’m not sure why some fans think this is a once in a lifetime opportunity like it was a Supreme Court nomination ? Lol

I'm not sure why some fans think squeezing one more year out of Witten is of such importance, yet here we are.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
If Witten went to MNF it might actually get me to watch that show again. One more year out of Witten won't make one bit of difference for the Cowboys.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Joe, Witten is not comparable to Brady. He is a HOF, great Cowboy, Ring of Honor but don't let that cloud the actual situation.
They should have had his replacement on the roster, and asked him to retire or take a much smaller role.

Normally a guy can play until someone beats him out or his contract over pays him.

It’s not Wittens fault we haven’t drafted or acquired a better TE.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

One month ago the organization came to Witten to ask him if he would restructure his deal... and he did. Does that not tell you he was planning to play this coming season and there was no need to get his replacement in here? Of course it does. The Cowboys were blind sided by this but I don't blame Witten. The MNF gig is not offered very often and it just became available to him. You need to stop disrepecting a Cowboys legend. Sometimes bad juju just happens and you just have to roll with it.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If Witten stays, I hope the Cowboys finally realize that they have to find out what they've got behind him. We need to get a good look at Gathers, Jarwin and Schultz, maybe even Swaim.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If Witten stays, I hope the Cowboys finally realize that they have to find out what they've got behind him. We need to get a good look at Gathers, Jarwin and Schultz, maybe even Swaim.
Surely we can get a good look while Witten is still on the roster ?

Fans forget that coaches watch these guys in practice every day where fans only judgement is on Game Day.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Surely we can get a good look while Witten is still on the roster ?

Fans forget that coaches watch these guys in practice every day where fans only judgement is on Game Day.

I don't disagree with that. A lot of us look at Rico's preseason last year and believe he should be given more of an opportunity. The front office calls him a work in progress, though, which means that the coaches may have seen enough in practice to know that he has a lot longer way to go than fans think.

Jarwin falls in the category of a player we didn't see enough of to judge, but the team seems to be high on him. He had four catches for 31 yards (7.8 average) last preseason, while Rico had 7 for 106 (15.1) and 2 TDs.

Someday we're going to learn that the preseason doesn't really tell us that much.

mardwin

Reaction score
Thats like saying you Supervisor has to be your mentor. Witten should do what he wants and if there is something that JG, JJ, SJ or his wife says that makes him chooseone decision over the other....then so be it. Personally Id love to have him around to mentor the young fellow.

I'm not sure in what type of professional environment you work but the responsibility of a supervisor/manager is not only to supervise but to provide guidance and ensure the employee is in the best position to succeed. Any how, Witten's options are very simple as were Tony's at the time and #9 made the right call.