Twitter: Garrett trying to convince Witten to stay

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t blame Garrett. I’d be trying to convince Witten too.

The broadcasting career can wait.
Nope, it can't, they're not holding the job open for him and that's a plum job, right behind Fox and CBS #1 color guys.

The one thing that Witten has to weigh is this is ESPN and they're hurting and will they keep NFL games? Can he move on to where the game ends up, if it ends up even being? The ratings have been declining for years and the NFL schedulers aren't doing it any favors. The NFL is treating MNF like a red headed stepchild because they're more interested in appeasing CBS and FOX and are vested in TNF.

If Garrett is trying to talk him into staying, he's hit a new low and doesn't give a damn about Witten.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Is he crazy? Missing his TE is a built in excuse for 8-8.
He knows Witten is as good as gone. He just wants appearances to look like he fought to keep Witten and then reap the "at-a-boys". It's low hanging fruit.

dckid

Reaction score
One month ago the organization came to Witten to ask him if he would restructure his deal... and he did. Does that not tell you he was planning to play this coming season and there was no need to get his replacement in here? Of course it does. The Cowboys were blind sided by this but I don't blame Witten. The MNF gig is not offered very often and it just became available to him. You need to stop disrepecting a Cowboys legend. Sometimes bad juju just happens and you just have to roll with it.
Not disrespecting a Cowboys legend.
This situation is a systemic organizational issue not Witten's fault. The Boys should have parted ways with him a couple years ago to be honest.

Jerry needs to stop adopting players like Romo, Witten, Dez, fill in the blank.. He needs to do what is best for the team.
What would Jimmy Johnson do? Jimmy was the coach during my high school college years. He built a culture of winning and no excuses.
That is exactly what we are missing nowdays.
This team went to 7 of the first 30 SB's, now we are too scared to tell the truth about a players who we should have cut two years ago.
Jimmy cut Randy White.. do you guys remember that? Now that man was a legend among legends.
Jimmy was building a culture... Culture eats strategy for Breakfast

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Nope, it can't, they're not holding the job open for him and that's a plum job, right behind Fox and CBS #1 color guys.

The one thing that Witten has to weigh is this is ESPN and they're hurting and will they keep NFL games? Can he move on to where the game ends up, if it ends up even being? The ratings have been declining for years and the NFL schedulers aren't doing it any favors. The NFL is treating MNF like a red headed stepchild because they're more interested in appeasing CBS and FOX and are vested in TNF.

If Garrett is trying to talk him into staying, he's hit a new low and doesn't give a damn about Witten.
ESPN can fire and replace if they truly want Witten at any time.

Just cause there’s an opening now doesn’t mean there won’t be next year. They could even add a third Color again if they wanted.

I do agree though they are going after Witten to bolster ratings.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
How can you say that Rico is a better playmaker when he has never played a down in the NFL.??
Him running good routes, beating coverage, high pointing the ball, and making contested catches. The kid can play. Witten's performance the last few seasons has at some points been below average. Lets get some new blood at the position.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Honestly I’d rather see Witten on CBS or Fox. MNF might not be the best Color job and its future is uncertain.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not sure why any of us care what Witten does after football? My interest diminishes greatly without the Star on his helmet .

Zordon

Reaction score
The most amazing aspect of this is the fact that the organization being ill prepared for something like this.
Actually let me take that back.. of course we would be in this situation. Our GM was in the Bahamas during the first week of Free Agency.

I was pounding the table to try and get Eifert or Seferian-jenkins, Ebron or Brate. Why are we begging someone to play their 16th season?
Bill B, would have already had his replacement on the roster.
HOPE IS NOT A STRATEGY
It really is ridiculous they are begging 15 year vet to come back. I think the problem is they've given Witten so much power in this entire situation.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They could just release him . We certainly don’t appear to have a problem doing that in other cases?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Not disrespecting a Cowboys legend.
This situation is a systemic organizational issue not Witten's fault. The Boys should have parted ways with him a couple years ago to be honest.
Wow, you claim no disrespect and then contradict yourself in the next sentence.

Jerry needs to stop adopting players like Romo, Witten, Dez, fill in the blank.. He needs to do what is best for the team.
Romo and Witten were long time leaders on this team and gave everything they got to advance this team. Of course Jerry is going to treat these guys like family. You seem like a cold hearted person making that statement. However, suggesting the betterment of the team wasn't done is just wrong.

What would Jimmy Johnson do? Jimmy was the coach during my high school college years. He built a culture of winning and no excuses. That is exactly what we are missing nowdays. This team went to 7 of the first 30 SB's, now we are too scared to tell the truth about a players who we should have cut two years ago.
Jimmy cut Randy White.. do you guys remember that? Now that man was a legend among legends.
Jimmy was building a culture... Culture eats strategy for Breakfast
Living in nostalgia. Convenient revisioning of history. Randy White decided to retired because of Tom Landry's firing. It wasn't Jimmy's doing.
http://newsok.com/article/2262497

You talk a bunch of crap as if that's the way it was but it's only in your own mind. Dallas is not the team it once was. There is no getting around that fact but there is no need to make up lies to make that point.

cern

Reaction score

There is another suitor. Written should take the MNF gig.

dckid

Reaction score
Wow, you claim no disrespect and then contradict yourself in the next sentence.

Romo and Witten were long time leaders on this team and gave everything they got to advance this team. Of course Jerry is going to treat these guys like family. You seem like a cold hearted person making that statement. However, suggesting the betterment of the team wasn't done is just wrong.

Living in nostalgia. Convenient revisioning of history. Randy White decided to retired because of Tom Landry's firing. It wasn't Jimmy's doing.
http://newsok.com/article/2262497

You talk a bunch of crap as if that's the way it was but it's only in your own mind. Dallas is not the team it once was. There is no getting around that fact but there is no need to make up lies to make that point.
There is no point arguing with you because no one will change their mind on a message board.
You have a certain philosophy on how the team should be run and I have mine.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Please no! Just move on. It's for the best interests of both parties. Witten continuing to play here will just bog down this offense.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
There is no point arguing with you because no one will change their mind on a message board.
You have a certain philosophy on how the team should be run and I have mine.
The difference is I'm right. You can have your own opinion but not your own facts. Facts are all I've countered your points with.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is another suitor. Written should take the MNF gig.
Agree, if they end up dropping it, he's had the opportunity to audition for the other nets.

Think Witten hasn't been playing that "this year will be the year to get that ring" game in his head? I don't see how he could be playing that this time and with that motivation gone, why not take a job that will keep him in touch with every team, if he has the urge to coach in the future.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ESPN can fire and replace if they truly want Witten at any time.

Just cause there’s an opening now doesn’t mean there won’t be next year. They could even add a third Color again if they wanted.

I do agree though they are going after Witten to bolster ratings.
ESPN is not in financial shape to be firing a color guy after one season, they're still in cut back mode. History shows us these jobs do not open up that often.

I am not sure how Witten's presence would bolster the ratings, Gruden probably has more entertainment appeal with his personality. They're thinking some of Romo might rub off on Witten and they can sell that but Romo's approach is unique in all of my years of watching, I've not seen or heard one like him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Begging? Boy, the media has sucked you in (and others). Seems some fans like to believe whatever is most filled with drama, and the media knows that and plays to it.

A much more reasonable belief is Garrett is having a conversation with Witten about his role on the team, and what the team plans are with the offense, and either asking Witten to be a part of it, or just laying it out so Witten will be able to make a decision with the benefit of having all the information he can get.
Dunno about that, no one knows more of how that's laid out more than Witten. And maybe them cutting Bryant made this decision easier for him?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Your not right. Your delusional.
You're not even right about saying I'm not right. If it was a matter of perspective I would concede to agree to disagree but that's not this. I only used facts to dispute your points and you can't change facts.

GenoT

Reaction score
Let’s see here...

Continuing an already 15-season, record-setting, HOF, ROH career, in a gruelingly physical, time-consuming sport, while relying on rapidly-declining skills...

-OR-

Beginning a new, less physically-demanding career, which can last 25-30yrs, in the most highly-coveted position in the business, the offer of which will not likely come around again anytime soon, that allows you to make million$ while learning on the job and to be at home with your family most days and nights of the week...

Gee...that’s a tough choice.