Twitter: Garrett trying to convince Witten to stay

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dunno about that, no one knows more of how that's laid out more than Witten. And maybe them cutting Bryant made this decision easier for him?

So are you are saying that the conversation with Garrett isn't even happening at all because Witten's mind is already made up and his decision is firm? If so, I think is entirely possible. That's really what I assumed was the case before these rumors surfaced that Garrett was talking to Witten. I just don't buy the idea that the team is "begging" Witten to stay.

DanA

Reaction score
Of course Garret wants to keep Witten. There's so much uncertainty in the team and a complete lack of senior leadership. A HOF guy that can be banked on for 600 yards and 4-5 TD's is definitely worth trying to persuade.

mardwin

Reaction score
Him running good routes, beating coverage, high pointing the ball, and making contested catches. The kid can play. Witten's performance the last few seasons has at some points been below average. Lets get some new blood at the position.

Again... he hasn't played a down in an official NFL game. Witten is a future HOF that even on his last leg can school Rico.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Again... he hasn't played a down in an official NFL game. Witten is a future HOF that even on his last leg can school Rico.
Witten is a HOF TE but has not played like it the last couple seasons. I'm sorry.

mardwin

Reaction score
Witten is a HOF TE but has not played like it the last couple seasons. I'm sorry.

Age caught up to him, like it does to everyone but the lack of speed at WR also impacted his play. When everyone is running 8-15 yard routes it is tough for an older TE to get open with consistency.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Age caught up to him, like it does to everyone but the lack of speed at WR also impacted his play. When everyone is running 8-15 yard routes it is tough for an older TE to get open with consistency.
Exactly we needed someone to create a vertical threat. Rico has that vertical threat at the TE position. I still don't believe we have that vertical threat on the outside with this WR group.

nobody

Reaction score
As a Cowboys fan, I want him to stay because he's still the best option at the position that this team has. But I'd also like him to jump ship because that would be another nail in the coffin of this coaching staff.

As a fan of Witten himself and as a father, I think he should retire and take the cushy job that gives him more time to spend with his family.

I'm wondering if things came out and the way Romo and Dez were treated by the front office didn't sit well with Witten.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ESPN has the ability to add a 3rd announcer if they choose or they can re assign like CBS did with Simms and knowing Witten might be interested only sign a guy to a 1 year contract.

I’m not sure why some fans think this is a once in a lifetime opportunity like it was a Supreme Court nomination ? Lol

The days of a third announcer in the booth are long gone. Simms got reassigned to the studio. He was demoted. This is a one time shot for Witten to get the Monday Night Football job. Whoever fills that opening will likely be there for years. There will likely be other analyst jobs available to Witten but not as prestigious as this one.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I'm not sure in what type of professional environment you work but the responsibility of a supervisor/manager is not only to supervise but to provide guidance and ensure the employee is in the best position to succeed. Any how, Witten's options are very simple as were Tony's at the time and #9 made the right call.
My entire professional career to include military there were very few times when my direct supervisor was my mentor. Just because you're in a leadership position doesn't make you someone that should be mentoring. In fact most of the time you are over so many people it's impossible to mentor everyone.

Tony made a great decision for himself and I'm sure he spoke with JJ, JG and his wife as well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The days of a third announcer in the booth are long gone. Simms got reassigned to the studio. He was demoted. This is a one time shot for Witten to get the Monday Night Football job. Whoever fills that opening will likely be there for years. There will likely be other analyst jobs available to Witten but not as prestigious as this one.
We don’t know that for certain. I’m not even sure anymore if ESPN MNF isn’t at the bottom of the list in NFL announcing duties.

I think Id rather be on CBS , NBC or Fox.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
I was a little shocked by the Witten is going to retire story I thought I seen something about Witten attending the voluntary workouts not long before that. If ESPN is the ones that broke this story and Witten was interviewing for the position then I see a angle they are playing. Gruden left so they are fighting to fill that seat with him.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
We all love Witten, but how fickle are most of the fans. At the end of last season, most fans were hoping he'd retire because we needed to move on from him. We drafted a blocking TE, and we have two others with big upside, along with one who can be part of the corps. Let him go.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We don’t know that for certain. I’m not even sure anymore if ESPN MNF isn’t at the bottom of the list in NFL announcing duties.

I think Id rather be on CBS , NBC or Fox.

Monday Night Football has a history and it’s the only football game being shown. It’s a coveted position. I would rather be broadcasting a game where the entire nation is watching. Practically everyone has ESPN. If you’re the lead broadcast team on CBS, NBC and Fox not everyone is getting your game.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
The Cowboys aren't going to have a great or poor season based on Jason Witten. He's not that player anymore.
I'd love to see fewer TE sets and spread the defense. When the defense goes small, we move the wall.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We all love Witten, but how fickle are most of the fans. At the end of last season, most fans were hoping he'd retire because we needed to move on from him. We drafted a blocking TE, and we have two others with big upside, along with one who can be part of the corps. Let him go.
Id be all in if we released Witten feeling he was no longer good enough to take a roster spot.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Monday Night Football has a history and it’s the only football game being shown. It’s a coveted position. I would rather be broadcasting a game where the entire nation is watching. Practically everyone has ESPN. If you’re the lead broadcast team on CBS, NBC and Fox not everyone is getting your game.
That’s a subjective argument .

Personally I watch less MNF than games on Sunday.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That’s a subjective argument .

Personally I watch less MNF than games on Sunday.

That’s you. If the ratings weren’t up to par for Monday Night Fooball they would discontinue it.