Garrett will not be fired. Bet your house on it

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
You will win on a technicality. Jerry set up a situation for his own comfort, based on his feelings for Garrett, that will prevent him from firing Garrett even if the Cowboys finish 5-11.

Don’t forget that Garrett’s contract runs out at the end of the season. Jerry will never fire Jason during the season, and if he decides he has to move on, he will simply go sign another coach, deciding not to resign JG, never having to actually fire him.

Jerry is a smart man. He didn’t want to fire his boy, and he made sure he wouldn’t need to do so.

Prediction? Garrett’s success with Dak makes him the next coach of
  • Giants
  • Browns
  • Jets (3 places where he would actually be a step forward)
Or,
  • Dolphins
  • Broncos (Places that have hired former Cowboys in the past)
Final prediction — Forget the talk about college coaches. Jerry won’t want to start over with another young guy who’s never coached in the NFL or been a head coach. Plus, the first crop of hot young geniuses have done little this year, and the newest crop seem lost. Look for Jerry to try to bring in a defensive minded former head coach or defensive coordinator. Won’t surprise me if he tries to keep Moore as OC, and based on this year’s numbers, that may be an easy sell to a defensive minded coach.

I wonder ...
  • Did Nick Saban learn anything from his first NFL tenure
  • Might Saban be ready to move on from Alabama at this point

I agree...Jerry just won't resign Garrett. As for the new coach.....I think a couple things could happen.....

1. They just promote Kellen...

2. A name that I think that makes sense is Ken Norton Jr. as head coach. He runs the defense....Kellen runs the offense.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
he could offer him an assistant GM gig kinda like Coughlin in Jacksonville. If you think about what Garrett does best it would utilize all of his positives and not expose the negatives.
I have always thought that would make sense

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You will win on a technicality. Jerry set up a situation for his own comfort, based on his feelings for Garrett, that will prevent him from firing Garrett even if the Cowboys finish 5-11.

Don’t forget that Garrett’s contract runs out at the end of the season. Jerry will never fire Jason during the season, and if he decides he has to move on, he will simply go sign another coach, deciding not to resign JG, never having to actually fire him.

Jerry is a smart man. He didn’t want to fire his boy, and he made sure he wouldn’t need to do so.

• Giants
  • Browns
Or,
  • Dolphins
Final prediction — Forget the talk about college coaches. Jerry won’t want to start over with another young guy who’s never coached in the NFL or been a head coach. Plus, the first crop of hot young geniuses have done little this year, and the newest crop seem lost. Look for Jerry to try to bring in a defensive minded former head coach or defensive coordinator. Won’t surprise me if he tries to keep Moore as OC, and based on this year’s numbers, that may be an easy sell to a defensive minded coach.

I wonder ...
Not resigning him at the end of the year is basically letting him go. Same effect.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Will JG be canned? Nobody knows for sure. Jerry is really somewhat unpredictable, at best.

I'll not bet my house on it, nor would I bet hard-earned money he'll be retained!
We might as well flip a coin, or better yet -- just wait and see!:thumbup:
Only the Jones boys know whats gonna happen

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
He’s not getting fired in-season. After the season he’ll likely have the inside track and it’ll be a question of who’s available. There will be a ton of available coaches Jerry won’t even consider and it’s going to drive fans crazy. Then JG will likely sign a 2-5 year extension and that will be that.

If we miss the playoffs entirely, I think Jerry looks aggressively for a new coach. But even then I think we’d have to land probably one of his top two options for him to make a change. The organization likes Garrett for a lot of obvious reasons. And fans might hate it but it’s not changing anything.
Who do you think would be Jerry's top 2 options?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The only way Garrett isn't extended is if he's fine with leaving and trying another team for a while, the relationship could stay intact with the family. It's not him being fired or not extended but a true mutual agreement that leaves both parties fine with the other.

This gets complicated because of the personal relationships but what if Garrett is tired of coaching in THE glass house of the NFL? What if he's tired of the Joneses using their personal relationship as leverage?

I think that whole Linehan embarrassment affected Garrett. Think about how that might have been handled differently as to not embarrass your HC unlike any had been done before. Now, think about what if they'd already discussed Linehan and that led Garrett to answer the question that way and they'd neglected to tell him they'd changed their minds in one of their little discussions?

We all talk about Booger not keeping Garrett, but what if it's the other way around. And what if Garrett is pissed enough that he's already had some clandestine discussions with Snyder or Mara? Anyone think this season has been a fun one for Garrett?
Garrett doesn’t look like he’s having as much fun.

The bigger problem as I understand it from the local vibe is Jerry truly thinks he has a team that can win it.

And there’s many in media who have bought the hype and feel he has given Garrett enough time to produce.

They don’t even want to consider there is better teams and coaching ahead of them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He’s not getting fired in-season. After the season he’ll likely have the inside track and it’ll be a question of who’s available. There will be a ton of available coaches Jerry won’t even consider and it’s going to drive fans crazy. Then JG will likely sign a 2-5 year extension and that will be that.

If we miss the playoffs entirely, I think Jerry looks aggressively for a new coach. But even then I think we’d have to land probably one of his top two options for him to make a change. The organization likes Garrett for a lot of obvious reasons. And fans might hate it but it’s not changing anything.
IDK.. this year might be different. A missed playoff places public pressure on Jerry. I think he lets him walk. And one and done might even do it. Jerry really believes he has a SB contender.

MojaveJT

Reaction score
He’ll finish out the season and Jerry will praise him and let him ride off into the sunset. They’ll part mutually similar to how they let Linehan go.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The best name that comes to my mind is Art Briles. No one will hire him. He’s the best available HC in the country that can’t get a call.

Normally he wouldn’t bow down to someone like Jerry but needs the work. Jerry is just the guy who could handle the public firestorm criticism of character.

But Briles could make the most of this talent and Dak

Last edited:

Aven8

Reaction score
The best name that comes to my mind is Art Briles. No one will hire him. He’s the best available HC in the country that can’t get a call.

Normally he wouldn’t bow down to someone like Jerry but needs the work. Jerry is just the guy who could handle the public firestorm criticism of character.

Been saying his name for the past two years. People balk, but the dude can coach. It’s time.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
In my opinion, Garrett's job is 100% safe if-and-until the Cowboys either lose the division to the Eagles or are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention.

Yep, that is my take as well.

Jerry is not going to fire Garrett during the season, no matter how many games we lose. With that being said however, everybody knew this year had to be a "get the team over the hump year" just as Stephen Jones said in preseason.

I am fairly confident we are not going to finish with a better record than the Eagles, not with their cupcake schedule. So that means no division title and no wildcard either since we have literally lost to every NFC contender we have played this year. So that means no playoffs and that was pretty much the one thing Garrett could not have happen in his contract year.

So my prediction..………...The Eagles win the division and Garrett is simply not resigned, the team announces they are going in a new direction.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Remember when some said that Garret sabotaged Wade.

Proof last week that he did not. He is just so bad that it looks like sabotage!

LOL...you are right...…Garrett is so laughably bad at game management that people thinks it is sabotage, that he cant really be this bad.

:laugh:

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score

• Giants
  • Browns
Or,
  • Dolphins

I wonder ...
Nah.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

No way we miss the playoffs and resign Garrett with a 2-5 year extension. Garrett has been here a decade as head coach and if we fail to make the playoffs this year, that means in 7 out of 10 seasons we had no playoffs. I dont care how bad the organization likes him, no team in the NFL keeps a head coach that misses the playoffs 70% of the time over a decade.

But Jerry might not care about how much the team wins, or more precise, does not win. He could very well think being comfortable and losing is better than being uncomfortable and winning. That is a real possibility, I must admit. So you may be right my friend, I guess we will have to wait and see.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

I dont think the Cowboys would consider Briles , wasn't he fired from Baylor for covering up sexual assault allegations against his players?

I mean, Zeke was made an example of by the Commish for even being accused of domestic abuse against his girlfriend, you think the league is not going to go after the Cowboys if they hired a head coach that tried to cover up rape by his players?

LOL............the Cowboys would never get another holding call ever again.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I don’t really know honestly. I’d buy Riley as one of them. You have a 2nd? I just figured there’d probably be more than one guy.

Good call, I was thinking the same thing. I think Riley is tops on the list, hands down. However, there are rumors going around the Internet, nothing concrete just chatter, that the Cowboys like the Ravens OC, Gregg Roman. He is still relatively young, just 47, has 22 years coaching experience in the NFL and has done a fantastic job with Lamar Jackson, who many view as a similar type of QB to Dak. Like I said, its just rumors at this point, but worth keeping an eye on if Clappy blows the division and we miss the playoffs and Jerry is looking around for a replacement. I think if that happens, its Riley's job if he wants it but if he doesn't want it, Roman might be second on the list.