Gerald McCoy to Carolina

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I doubt that was the ultimate reason. Money talks, and so does the opportunity to win. And based on where he signed and how much he was paid, those options weren't there.

He settled.
The reality looks otherwise per reports. Money does not always talk. Some of these guys that have earned a lot and have handled it well can afford to have other reasons.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Honestly...I don't see the fit. Rumor is they are going 3-4...so is he a DE5? or just a nickle pass rusher on 3rd and long?

8 mil is a lot of cheese for a 31yr old...part time player. oh well...Panthers can spend their money as stupidly as they want. :popcorn:

Please McCoy is a perennial all pro with a couple good years left. Newton is getting up there in years. They are trying to go for it. A couple years ago this was on of the best Ds in the league. They get healthy and add a McCoy it is going to help. Stop being such a fanboy and look objectivity at the move from Carolina’s POV.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, it's not a statement of fact, it's weak rhetoric without foundation. I admittedly think some fans go overboard and unreasonable with criticisms, but I also think Jerry is a poor GM, and have advocated for Garrett to be replaced for a couple of years. Acordingly its nonsense to suggest I am intolerant of criticism of the team, I just expect the criticism to be fair and reasonable rather than treating every step and breath they take as a screw up.

Please show where this criticism is "unfair"?

I can respect your desire to have McCoy, and I honestly liked the idea too, but the team already has a crowded interior D-line, and they have several high dollar contracts that need to be extended, so I don't see that passing on McCoy was unreasonable.

And they also have several overpaid contracts they could have eliminated to easily get this deal done for a proven quality player. It's not an excuse.

I didn't say you said "all" - that's a made up argument. What I said was lots of fans feel the same about players as you do about McCoy, and my point was that obviously not everyone who feels about a player the way you do about McCoy can be right. The team can't pursue everyone a fan thinks they should.

And it's once again a diversion. We're not taking about "every player", we're talking about this one.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The reality looks otherwise per reports. Money does not always talk. Some of these guys that have earned a lot and have handled it well can afford to have other reasons.

The fact is that the Cowboys never showed interest. He didn't turn down an offer because one was never made.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not with any measure of certainty, no. It's just wishful thinking at this point.

McCoy is a well-established force, and he has been since he was drafted #3 overall.

I have hope that guys like Covington might help, or that Collins body might actually hold up in a contract year, or that Hill might develop into what McCoy already is, none is a certainty.

We had to adjust our pass rush and scheme twists and stunts in order to try to free up our defensive tackles because they couldn't get their on their own. And overuse of those stunts ultimately got us run over.

McCoy is a guy who can get there on his own and doesn't require wholesale scheme changes to do it.
You're talking to the wind, Stash. The majority of fans have no clue how a DT helps the entire D. Not sure this org gets it either!!!!!!!

McCoy is a stud, and at 31 should have a couple years left. The Rams 273 rushing yards don't happen if McCoy is in the middle.

kskboys

Reaction score

And they also have several overpaid contracts they could have eliminated to easily get this deal done for a proven quality player. It's not an excuse.

And it's once again a diversion. We're not taking about "every player", we're talking about this one.
Crowded w/ what?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

As I said, there are 30 other teams that passed on him just like the Cowboys did, plus the Cowboys have added D-Linemen through the draft and free agency, so while the team possibly could have made the deal, passing on it isn't as unreasonable as you make it out to be.

And yes, we are talking about this one. And last week it was that one. And the week before it was another one. The fact that a fan is talking about it, whether with a player now, or the one last week or the one the week before doesn't automatically make it the right thing, or a screw up if it doesn't happen. You are just as susceptible to having your pet guy as they are, and admittedly I am too. It's natural, but we also have to be realistic about it and know that as fans we get to sit at home and ignore the overall picture and focus just on our pet guys.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact is that the Cowboys never showed interest. He didn't turn down an offer because one was never made.

How do you know that? How do you know they never contacted his agent and at least had preliminary discussions? How do you know that the other teams that didn't bring him in for a workout didn't do that ? How do you know they didn't call coaches and scouts and do at least some due diligence? Surely we know we aren't privy to every phone call, e-mail and text.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're talking to the wind, Stash. The majority of fans have no clue how a DT helps the entire D. Not sure this org gets it either!!!!!!!

McCoy is a stud, and at 31 should have a couple years left. The Rams 273 rushing yards don't happen if McCoy is in the middle.

It sure feels that way some days. Some fans can't take it if the organization gets criticized for not making what looks like a smart move.
:banghead:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not with any measure of certainty, no. It's just wishful thinking at this point.

McCoy is a well-established force, and he has been since he was drafted #3 overall.

I have hope that guys like Covington might help, or that Collins body might actually hold up in a contract year, or that Hill might develop into what McCoy already is, none is a certainty.

We had to adjust our pass rush and scheme twists and stunts in order to try to free up our defensive tackles because they couldn't get their on their own. And overuse of those stunts ultimately got us run over.

McCoy is a guy who can get there on his own and doesn't require wholesale scheme changes to do it.
That’s fair. I don’t get to watch McCoy much to know how good he is at this point.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As I said, there are 30 other teams that passed on him just like the Cowboys did, plus the Cowboys have added D-Linemen through the draft and free agency, so while the team possibly could have made the deal, passing on it isn't as unreasonable as you make it out to be.

I feel that it is. But you carry on by talking up some free agent journeyman and an unproven rookie considered by many to be a reach. It's what many fans do, as I mentioned before.

And yes, we are talking about this one. And last week it was that one. And the week before it was another one. The fact that a fan is talking about it, whether with a player now, or the one last week or the one the week before doesn't automatically make it the right thing, or a screw up if it doesn't happen. You are just as susceptible to having your pet guy as they are, and admittedly I am too. It's natural, but we also have to be realistic about it and know that as fans we get to sit at home and ignore the overall picture and focus just on our pet guys.

And we also get to be proven right while the team is proven wrong. It's happened again and again and again as well. But that's the part that many fans can't admit. That sometimes, fans get it right while the team gets it wrong. I can cite you plenty of examples if you need. I think this is another one of those times.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

It’s not about not knowing how the DT helps. Every position helps each other. The secondary helps the pass rush...the linebackers help run stopping. Defensive tackles help the run game and edge rushers. They all help each other. Commanders had great defensive tackles last year and that didn’t stop them from getting torched in the secondary.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s fair. I don’t get to watch McCoy much to know how good he is at this point.

Here's a film review of McCoy - whether or not you care for or consider ****NOT-AN-OFFICIAL-SOURCE***'s work to have merit, you can see what McCoy is doing in and of itself:

kskboys

Reaction score
It sure feels that way some days. Some fans can't take it if the organization gets criticized for not making what looks like a smart move.
:banghead:
I had the same argument years ago about Traffic Cone Spears and Get Washed Out Ratliff. Most argued w/ me how solid Spears was and how valuable he was, when it was actually obvious w/ a tiny bit of evaluation that he was subpar and needed to be upgraded. And Rats had 2 good years at NT, and then started breaking down because his body was simply not going to stand the pounding at NT w/ his build. And we did nothing.

At least this year we drafted a prospect who might be disruptive in Hill!!!!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How do you know that? How do you know they never contacted his agent and at least had preliminary discussions? How do you know that the other teams that didn't bring him in for a workout didn't do that ? How do you know they didn't call coaches and scouts and do at least some due diligence? Surely we know we aren't privy to every phone call, e-mail and text.

Because I am above making **** up in a desperate attempt to excuse this team's mistakes. Make up whatever hypothetical bull**** you need to in order to feel better. Show that you are exactly who I said.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I had the same argument years ago about Traffic Cone Spears and Get Washed Out Ratliff. Most argued w/ me how solid Spears was and how valuable he was, when it was actually obvious w/ a tiny bit of evaluation that he was subpar and needed to be upgraded. And Rats had 2 good years at NT, and then started breaking down because his body was simply not going to stand the pounding at NT w/ his build. And we did nothing.

At least this year we drafted a prospect who might be disruptive in Hill!!!!

And a guy who might be a total liability out there because he doesn't know what he's doing, where he's going, or where the ball is. His film shows plenty of evidence of that, and I think it's a big reason why he wasn't an every down starter. Hill is currently a traits guy that this team is putting all of their faith in Rod Marinelli to coach up. And if he can't, his impact will be minimal this year. And that unknown is a big reason why I feel McCoy would have been a smart signing.

kskboys

Reaction score
It’s not about not knowing how the DT helps. Every position helps each other. The secondary helps the pass rush...the linebackers help run stopping. Defensive tackles help the run game and edge rushers. They all help each other. Commanders had great defensive tackles last year and that didn’t stop them from getting torched in the secondary.
Absolutely!!!!

However, people don't notice DT's. Disruptive DT's help the entire D to a degree that other positions don't touch. And people just aren't aware of how much better a D is when you go from a solid player to a top 5 player. McCoy would have definitely made a huge difference here, that's as long as he isn't going downhill from overuse. That's also possible.

The problem is, we simply haven't targeted players such as McCoy, even while paying huge dollars to CB's and WR's.

Lutonio

Reaction score
I'm reading a rumor that another team offered him double what he's getting at Carolina. Does anyone know/heard if it's true and what team?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you expect them to? Welikewhatwehaveprogressstopper

Meanwhile, we continue to employ Tyrone Crawford.
  1. without a starting role
  2. who gets zero pressure from RDE
  3. who has to be schemed with stunts to get pressure inside
  4. at a total cost of $10 million
  5. facing possible suspension
  6. taking a roster spot in a crowded group
  7. having to figure out where to line him up
But yeah, show no interest in a proven starting commodity to keep doing this nonsense. It's truly ridiculous.