Get the first down!

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Big_D, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

7,360 Messages
    9,793 Likes Received
    Can we stop with the long throws in these 3rd down situations?? Get a new set of downs. 3rd and 5 throw it for 6 or take off running. Get the dam first down! I don’t care that you have 1 on 1 on the outside. This is a major pet peeve! Move the sticks!!!! I understand taking that chance on occasion but that first down needs to be more of a priority than looking for the home run!

if it’s 3rd and 2 and you’re throwing 30 yards down the field it’s a problem!

2. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    23,095 Messages
    21,121 Likes Received
    You throw to the open man
    If there is more than one open you throw to the one who has the best chance to score
    We’ve been very good at throwing down field until Sunday

3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    84,868 Messages
    66,315 Likes Received
    That's the best chance to get bulk yardage. Defense is geared for stopping the run. Biggest mismatch is doing downfield with the ball. Of course, making those 4th downs consistently (unlike Sunday) makes passing a much less risky decision.

4. Boom

Boom Just Dez It

1,374 Messages
    682 Likes Received
    I was yelling that at the TV. I don't mind long passes on 3rd or 4th and short, but if you are having accuracy issues and the defense has been on the field too long, take the high percentage play and keep the drive alive.

5. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

7,360 Messages
    9,793 Likes Received
    You have a good set of WRs capable of getting open in the short to intermediate passing game. You take what should be a high percentage pass play and lower it considerably!

6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

104,424 Messages
    33,295 Likes Received
    True but sometimes that is when the big opportunity comes up as LB and CB are looking for those short routs and bite hard on them. If they are playing off and just giving the 3 yards great but I would always have at least 1 WR or TE working down the field incase he finds himself in a situation of being wide open.

7. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

21,020 Messages
    19,273 Likes Received
    Agreed, and stop the 4th down nonsense as well

Big_D likes this.
  8. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

7,360 Messages
    9,793 Likes Received
    “sometimes” is fine! But more often than not they should be looking for the first down.

9. phildadon86

phildadon86 Well-Known Member

16,260 Messages
    22,350 Likes Received
    2nd and 2. Go for the deep ball and keep the D honest. 3rd and 2. Get the FIRST DOWN!. I agree 100 percent

JustChip and Big_D like this.
  10. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

19,978 Messages
    17,291 Likes Received
    This. Situational football. Dak was not accurate and wasn't getting much time. The oline was having problems with 2 guys at new positions, and not looking good at it. Shorter routes keep Dak upright and let him get in a groove. And we needed to get the defense off the field.

11. glimmerman

glimmerman Well-Known Member

24,955 Messages
    25,124 Likes Received
    Most opposing defenses know the same we do. They will put there best guys on the outside for one on one. Stack the line and come after the run and qb.. They all do that stuff.

12. glimmerman

glimmerman Well-Known Member

24,955 Messages
    25,124 Likes Received
    Sucks that one 4th and short pass was tipped. Looked like he had some room. This game was just terrible. Did not even look like us playing.

13. ChronicCowboy

ChronicCowboy Well-Known Member

4,464 Messages
    8,596 Likes Received
    I agree but Ceedee was wide open on that play….Dak just missed him.

14. cowboyblue22

cowboyblue22 Well-Known Member

9,489 Messages
    8,191 Likes Received
    GREAT POST time to do something different on third down

Big_D likes this.
  15. Doomsday101

104,424 Messages
    33,295 Likes Received
    I clearly would look to take the easy yards but throwing so called short safe passes when you have CB looking to step in front is an easy pick 6 for defense. I felt Dak would have been better off running for the 1st down on that 4th and 2

JustChip and maryquality like this.
  16. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    18,571 Messages
    27,427 Likes Received
    I get the point of the OP, but Sundays game was just a huge egg by 90% of the team.

Either Dak was off one play or the receiver drops an easy pass the next play. Add in the offensive line looking like the Miami Dolphins line, it was a **** show

Dak overthrew CDL there but then on passes to Cooper on the slant(3rd and 1) or Pollard on 2nd and 7 they drop passes that could of been TDs or huge chunk plays.

Denver for the most part didn't do anything out of the ordinary. They blitzed 6 times. They played man 18 times (mostly cover 1) and zone 25 times. They just rushed 4 most snaps.

17. nalam

nalam The realist

7,768 Messages
    3,996 Likes Received
    Agreed !
    I thought he could have run those 2 yards and take the 1st down , for some reason - and all hype all week, Dak didnt appear confident in scrambling, he only started to do that late in the game and could easily pick about 8 yards one time .

maryquality likes this.
  18. CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninHouston CowboysFaninDC

23,316 Messages
    12,215 Likes Received
    that's moore...he sometimes outsmarts himself. its a little bit of garrett still left in him. simplify....I think he was trying to surprise the defense and that's not very smart. in those situations you have to go for higher percentage plays. if you have the game at hand, in control and then you can take a risk...but not when you are close....

Big_D likes this.
  19. Doomsday101

104,424 Messages
    33,295 Likes Received
    I don't see this being a continual issue. I do think they want Dak to look more down field as opposed to running the ball but after this game, I think Dak will be more aggressive in pulling the ball and picking up yards.

20. cej757

cej757 Well-Known Member

1,627 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received
    Jeff Garcia was the master of converting short 3rd downs. He would either dink and dunk or just run and slide for the 1st. Gotta keep the chains moving. :flagwave:

kskboys likes this.