News: Getting our heads around the Cowboys’ coaching changes

CCBoy

Reaction score
Getting our heads around the Cowboys’ coaching changes
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...anges-dak-prescott-jason-garrett-kellen-moore

...Bob Sturm asked in his eulogy for the Scott Linehan era in Dallas at The Athletic. Is Garrett committed to making real changes? The article is behind a paywall, so I will sum up its conclusions (any errors in interpreting Sturm are on me). If Garrett is willing to shift to an offensive approach more like that of high-flying teams like the Los Angeles Rams, with lots of motion and formations that disguise the intent, then this could be the key to future success. If not, we probably will be debating who the new head coach is going to be before too long.

Another question in all this is just what Jerry Jones, along with his son Stephen, is telling Garrett he is expected to do. Are they making a more pass-centric approach a requirement? Or are they just going to trust in Garrett to make things work his way?

It is pretty clear that this season is all on Garrett. Last year was on Linehan, who is perceived to have gotten his way in the 2018 shakeup of the coaching staff. He failed to deliver, and is gone. Now the buck is on Garrett’s desk. If the offensive woes continue, he cannot be retained...

Fire407

Reaction score
Why would anyone ask if Garrett is committed to real changes? It's clear that Garrett has no power at all to make any changes. That Jerry and Stephen's job.

CCBoy

Reaction score
ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported Garrett is in line to call plays in 2019, a job he held from 2007-10 as the offensive coordinator and then in 2011-12, his first two years as head coach. In 2013, Bill Callahan called plays. Linehan took over in 2014.

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cow...-garrett-a-fighters-chance-let-him-call-plays

There seems to be a misconception about Garrett’s ability to call plays.

The Cowboys had terrific talent in Tony Romo, Jason Witten, Terrell Owens, Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, DeMarco Murray, Marion Barber and Pro Bowl offensive linemen in Leonard Davis, Andre Gurode and Flozell Adams for a good stretch of his playcalling run. They never ranked worse than 13th in yards per game and finished in the top half of the league in points per game in every year but 2008. The passing game never ranked outside the top 10.

With Romo, Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott, Witten, Austin, Bryant and three Pro Bowl offensive linemen in Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick and Zack Martin for a good portion of the stretch that Callahan and Linehan called plays, the Cowboys ranked better than 13th in yards per game just twice and averaged more than 22.1 points per game twice in five seasons. The passing game never ranked better than 16th.

Last edited:

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
I can barely get my head out of ace and now I am suppose to wrap it around Garrett’s right shoulder?

-Good grief

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
You might go back to the OP and read the article...before grief sets in.
What I got from the article is a cloud of confusion had been screened and while people play guess who the FO is gathering sources and meeting with current staff.

visionary

Reaction score
ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported Garrett is in line to call plays in 2019, a job he held from 2007-10 as the offensive coordinator and then in 2011-12, his first two years as head coach. In 2013, Bill Callahan called plays. Linehan took over in 2014.

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cow...-garrett-a-fighters-chance-let-him-call-plays

There seems to be a misconception about Garrett’s ability to call plays.

The Cowboys had terrific talent in Tony Romo, Jason Witten, Terrell Owens, Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, DeMarco Murray, Marion Barber and Pro Bowl offensive linemen in Leonard Davis, Andre Gurode and Flozell Adams for a good stretch of his playcalling run. They never ranked worse than 13th in yards per game and finished in the top half of the league in points per game in every year but 2008. The passing game never ranked outside the top 10.

With Romo, Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott, Witten, Austin, Bryant and three Pro Bowl offensive linemen in Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick and Zack Martin for a good portion of the stretch that Callahan and Linehan called plays, the Cowboys ranked better than 13th in yards per game just twice and averaged more than 22.1 points per game twice in five seasons. The passing game never ranked better than 16th.

Will be interesting to see the usual Garrett apologists calling for Dak's head by the end of the year

Reaction score
Since Garrett isn't going anywhere, put it all on him. Make him call the plays. Force him to make adjustments on the fly.

And no extension.

Maybe the excuses will finally go away. Although probably not.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
What I got from the article is a cloud of confusion had been screened and while people play guess who the FO is gathering sources and meeting with current staff.

Jason Garrett has a pretty good track record as an Offensive Coordinator. His units performed at the higher ends of the NFL. With a similar roster, under Linehan, the offense didn't generally perform nearly as well. He can return to calling plays now.

Moore has a good working relationship with Prescott. He also is very smart about football and like Garrett, has been groomed for much of his life, to identify elements quickly and a broad experience from which to choose to respond. He had good field recognition as a player, and despite weaker tools of his own to work with, was very creative and effective. He well may be a better coach than he was a player.

The positives for him are that he is well liked in the Franchise and players; is very creatively smart; and can learn under Garrett as he acquires stronger skills as a coordinator.

It appears that this season is all upon the shoulders of Jason Garrett. It also may prove to be Moore's time for growth. Not announced, but another ex-Cowboys' QB has been brought in to work as the Quarterbacks Coach - Kittna.

Growth under new offensive coordinators and a team, develop all off season. The Cowboys staff being used now as a coaching unit, is the start of that very adjustment. It will quickly be seen how things stack up as well as what is needed as the adjustment process begins. All changes in organization and execution, require adjustments. They all do.

We shall shortly start to see rolls and what decisions have been made.

JayFord

Reaction score
I sure hope Garrett learned something because his playcallimg makes you wonder is he paying attention to the game

CCBoy

Reaction score
I sure hope Garrett learned something because his playcallimg makes you wonder is he paying attention to the game

Garrett had to give up play calling by direction of Jerry. It appears that it may have returned...and no, Jason was pretty successful when he was calling the plays regularly..

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If Garrett is willing to shift to an offensive approach more like that of high-flying teams like the Los Angeles Rams, with lots of motion and formations that disguise the intent, then this could be the key to future success.

One promising aspect of Boy Genius II is that his Idaho offense used a ton of motion and deception, and I recently saw a quote from him like "the point is to confuse the defense".

CCBoy

Reaction score
They have become one of the best running teams in the NFL, but points come out of the passing game and their average per game has gone from 26.3 to 22.1 to 21.2 the past three seasons.

If you’re worried about Garrett getting overwhelmed with the added responsibility, plenty of head coaches call plays, including three of the four coaches who had their teams in the conference championships over the weekend: Sean McVay, Andy Reid and Sean Payton.

Garrett was a first-time head coach in 2011. He is entering his ninth full season as head coach. He should be able to multitask by now. If he can’t, then that’s on him and the Cowboys will look for a new coach after 2019.

CCBoy

Reaction score
One promising aspect of Boy Genius II is that his Idaho offense used a ton of motion and deception, and I recently saw a quote from him like "the point is to confuse the defense".

It's also the foundation for the Ram's offense, and they really don't have more talent than does Dallas.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It's also the foundation for the Ram's offense, and they really don't have more talent than does Dallas.

We weren't making the most of what we've got. If we're going to be run first, and we should be, there should be more run threats on the field besides Zeke.

Austin, Olawale, and Dak looked like quite a crew of run threats to put on the field with Zeke. So maybe they were trying? Thinking about it?

But what we saw instead was Garrett's usual fascination with putting TEs on the field, despite our squad being a backup level guy and 3 borderline PS players.

Ddisco22

Reaction score
Getting our heads around the Cowboys’ coaching changes
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...anges-dak-prescott-jason-garrett-kellen-moore

...Bob Sturm asked in his eulogy for the Scott Linehan era in Dallas at The Athletic. Is Garrett committed to making real changes? The article is behind a paywall, so I will sum up its conclusions (any errors in interpreting Sturm are on me). If Garrett is willing to shift to an offensive approach more like that of high-flying teams like the Los Angeles Rams, with lots of motion and formations that disguise the intent, then this could be the key to future success. If not, we probably will be debating who the new head coach is going to be before too long.

Another question in all this is just what Jerry Jones, along with his son Stephen, is telling Garrett he is expected to do. Are they making a more pass-centric approach a requirement? Or are they just going to trust in Garrett to make things work his way?

It is pretty clear that this season is all on Garrett. Last year was on Linehan, who is perceived to have gotten his way in the 2018 shakeup of the coaching staff. He failed to deliver, and is gone. Now the buck is on Garrett’s desk. If the offensive woes continue, he cannot be retained...
i have a weird feeling that Richard may be HC with JG calling plays as OC

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
JG was a solid OC. I know some fans hate to admit that and live to believe that Romo was the reason the offense was so dynamic from 2007-2009. Even during the 2011, and 2012 8-8 seasons the offense rolled along pretty well and that was without a running game and an O-line that needed big upgrades. They were horrible in the red zone back then and we blamed it on JG. Now the same problems in the red-zone WITH a dynamic RB and solid O-line and do we blame that on the OC? Yes some do but JG is still the favored whipping boy. I suppose it's hard for the "clapping carrot name callers" to see past the end of their noses. Once a hater always a hater

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

We had a DC once who said the same thing except "the point is to confuse the offense". Turned out Ryans defenses were more confused than the offenses they played. Of course he was a big mouth Buddy bass

giphy.gif

His big mouth got him caught on a hook eventually. Well I'll beef hooked:muttley: