Getting TO Open

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
What do you guys think we have to do to get TO open?

I watch all of these teams like the Texans who really only have Andre Johnson and yet he can get 10 for 180 yards, and the Saints who have NO ONE right now and Brees can shred defenses whenever he wants.

Jamming TO at the LOS can't be the ONLY reason he is not getting open.

I know putting him in motion will help but Andre Johnson rarely goes in motion and is a complete stud.

And I don't want any responses from the chicken littles saying "Garrett sucks", "Wade sucks", etc.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
ajk23az;2332231 said:

I watch all of these teams like the Texans who really only have Andre Johnson and yet he can get 10 for 180 yards, and the Saints who have NO ONE right now and Brees can shred defenses whenever he wants.

I know putting him in motion will help but Andre Johnson rarely goes in motion and is a complete stud.

And I don't want any responses from the chicken littles saying "Garrett sucks", "Wade sucks", etc.

I would say run slants, digs and drags.

Boysboy

Reaction score
ajk23az;2332231 said:

When TO was in Philly, Brian Westbrook was their only other decent player on O(otherwise, everyone else was a bunch of scrubs). But somehow, despite Andy Reid's pass-happy playbook being the most overrated in the NFL, he somehow managed to get TO very productive every single game.

We have ALOT more weapons than Philly's scrubs...it just mind-boggles me too.

morieeel

Reaction score
Seemed he ran a lot more slants/in routes back then and with the 49ers esp. in the slot postion. But that was west coast style of play.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
morieeel;2332275 said:
Seemed he ran a lot more slants/in routes back then and with the 49ers esp. in the slot postion. But that was west coast style of play.

I never thought of that. Maybe that is the problem.

I remember he always used to get WR screens. I specifically remember a play vs the Broncos and Champ Bailey where he broke a tackle from Champ and took it to the house. We need to get TO the ball, plain and simple.

ddh33

Reaction score
That's not fair. I think I'm pretty reasonable. I'm not saying that everyone on the team sucks, and I'm not calling for heads...

I would like to know why the Cowboys are having so much trouble getting TO open. Admittedly, I don't get to always see the whole picture. But it seems like Dallas isn't moving TO around enough or trying hard enough to get him the ball. I'm not talking about catering to an ego, but I think getting TO going would help the team. I see other teams get their receivers going, and I don't quite understand why Dallas can't.

No, the point I was trying to make is that there is plenty of blame to go around. Some want to blame Wade. Others like blaming special teams. The defense is a good target. So is Romo. I think Garrett should get some blame too. Truth is, there's plenty of blame to go around for some of this. Losing, I can handle - not well, but I can handle it. I didn't like the way they lost though...Plenty of time to fix it though.

jrumann59

Reaction score
TO is the gas pedal for this team and until Garrett and staff figure out a way to get the other receivers to play better, IE Crayton, Miles it will continue to be a sluggish offense.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Getting T.O. open is actually pretty simple. Our other receivers have to make opposing teams pay for double and triple teaming T.O. The problem is we can't or don't accomplish this very often or on a consistent basis. Moving T.O. around obviously makes it easier to get him the ball, but defenses will still roll coverage over to him. Our other receivers just don't strike any fear in opposing defenses. Plus, Romo doesn't have much confidence in them so he ignores them too often.

Boysboy

Reaction score
ddh33;2332452 said:
That's not fair. I think I'm pretty reasonable. I'm not saying that everyone on the team sucks, and I'm not calling for heads...

I would like to know why the Cowboys are having so much trouble getting TO open. Admittedly, I don't get to always see the whole picture. But it seems like Dallas isn't moving TO around enough or trying hard enough to get him the ball. I'm not talking about catering to an ego, but I think getting TO going would help the team. I see other teams get their receivers going, and I don't quite understand why Dallas can't.

No, the point I was trying to make is that there is plenty of blame to go around. Some want to blame Wade. Others like blaming special teams. The defense is a good target. So is Romo. I think Garrett should get some blame too. Truth is, there's plenty of blame to go around for some of this. Losing, I can handle - not well, but I can handle it. I didn't like the way they lost though...Plenty of time to fix it though.

Alot like LT and the Chargers-opponents will constantly stack 8 men in the box, but does that mean they'll abandon the run and get pass-happy? Of course not-they're still going to give LT his fair share of touches to get him going, and even with the box stacked, he eventually does.

Yeah-I'm surprised that Garrett hasn't been more creative.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
He is the 2nd greatest wr of all time I thought? Isnt that what he always says?

He should just put his cleats and jersey on and be wide open every play.

Only problem is he gets frustrated when he is pressed and struggles to make plays.

Boysboy

Reaction score
theebs;2332475 said:

Only problem is he gets frustrated when he is pressed and struggles to make plays.

He didn't get pressed alot today, despite the safety help over the top. He was open on that 1st series on OT, but Romo misfired to him(the injured pinky may have had an effect on him then).

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;2332475 said:

since I already saw this post because someone quoted you......You are thinking like Garrett TO go out and you will be open....doesn't work like that buddyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy stop hating its really sad.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
This isn't the only answer, but it would help.

Felix Jones needs the football in his hands. Pass it to him and run him more.

He left the game in the third quarter, but he only touched the ball four times, and one was a 16 yard run called back on an illegal formation.

Perhaps, teams would think twice before doubling and triple teaming him, eventually. Felix Jones has to become more of a factor in the passing game and running game.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2332483 said:
since I already saw this post because someone quoted you......You are thinking like Garrett TO go out and you will be open....doesn't work like that buddyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy stop hating its really sad.

I thought you put me on ignore.

If you havent. Please do.

Boysboy

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2332483 said:

I was thinking the same thing when this poster said that-I don't like Owens either, but let's not have our hatred cloud our objectivity here.

2 weeks ago, Romo was criticized for force-feeding it into Owens when he was double covered alot. Today, Owens gets double covered on every other play, Romo smartly doesn't force-feed it into him this time, and that still makes Owens a headache on this team?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
41gy#;2332486 said:
This isn't the only answer, but it would help.

Felix Jones needs the football in his hands. Pass it to him and run him more.

He left the game in the third quarter, but he only touched the ball four times, and one was a 16 yard run called back on an illegal formation.

Perhaps, teams would think twice before doubling and triple teaming him, eventually. Felix Jones has to become more of a factor in the passing game and running game.

he got hurt today otherwise I'm sure the guru that is Jason Garrett would have used him more.....:rolleyes:

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Boysboy;2332493 said:
I was thinking the same thing when this poster said that-I don't like Owens either, but let's not have our hatred cloud our objectivity here.

2 weeks ago, Romo was criticized for force-feeding it into Owens when he was double covered alot. Today, Owens gets double covered on every other play, Romo smartly doesn't force-feed it into him this time, and that still makes Owens a headache on this team?

That's why the ignore button is very valuable