Twitter: Giants release TE Kyle Rudolph

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The strategy some fans have is to sign Kyle Rudolph and make a trade for Saquon Barkley so we can move closer to being the Giants.

conner01

Reaction score
I agree, I do think he can continue to develop but it may not be here. It is the one weakness at this level yet was a strong suite in college. Normally does not work that way
Every team would like a complete TE who can get open, catch the ball and be a solid blocker
But there are enough of them to go around
Schultz is gonna some teams QB very happy even if he’s not a strong blocker
He gets open and catches the ball and QB’s love a underneath guy who can be there to check down to

visionary

Reaction score
Go check out his numbers he’s a huge drop off from Dalton Schultz as a receiver. He may be a better blocker but we’re going to take a big hit in the passing game with him.

Moving on from Schulz
Sign him in or not but don’t sign Schulz
Pick one in rd 3-4

conner01

Reaction score
Anything that will get us one step closer to a top 10 pick in 2023. I get the feeling that’s what some are hoping for.
Sure seems like it
And those will be the first to attack Jerry is he did exactly what they ask for

32BellyOption

Reaction score
I’m ok with moving on from Shultz but only if we bring in another pass catching TE. Too bad Jarwin can’t stay healthy.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Moving on from Schulz
Sign him in or not but don’t sign Schulz
Pick one in rd 3-4

With your idea we’ll end up with a big downgrade at TE. Rudolph isn’t the answer go look at his numbers and good luck hitting again on a third or fourth round TE. Schultz has blossomed into a very good receiving tight end. His blocking is an issue but he moves the chains and puts points on the board. He’s been improving every season.

Carson

Reaction score
I’m ok with moving on from Shultz but only if we bring in another pass catching TE. Too bad Jarwin can’t stay healthy.
That is the problem here.

Schultz wants $10+. If you aren't going to re-sign him, you might as well go the draft route. Pointless to sign a guy and pay 3/4 of what Schultz wants, when he is already Dak friendly and knows the system. You may able to get a guy like Ertz ($7m) or Uzomah ($8.2) but at that point you might as well keep Dalton.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Agreed, plus released players do not count against the comp picks count. So, we would still get a comp pick for Schultz despite signing Rudolph. We should do this.
It's a net situation on all free agents lost or signed, but I doubt we are signing anyone of consequence.

We will probably end up with a few comp picks next year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Sure seems like it
And those will be the first to attack Jerry is he did exactly what they ask for

There’s fans that want to move on from every good player the Cowboys have except for Parsons and Diggs and that’s only because they’re on their rookie contracts. They don’t want to pay anyone! If it was up to some fans the Cowboys would be fielding a scrub team next season.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'm surprised at some of the comments in this thread.

We have cap issues and desperately need to repair a broken running game.

Is the next move to pay an awful blocking TE big money?

We also have another TE on a second contract that isn't peanuts.

I happily not tie up 10-12 million and get a 4th rounder for my trouble. Probably get Brown and Kearse and maybe even another player for the same money.

I just think what Schultz does isn't difficult to find, and don't see how the run game gets fixed if this guy is your three down TE.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Is the next move to pay an awful blocking TE big money?

He’s going to end up getting big money because he’s developed into a very good receiving TE. A blocking TE doesn’t make anything compared to a terrific receiving TE. You don’t see blocking TE’s going in the top 10-15 in the draft. Kyle Pitts wasn’t a top five pick because teams were enamored with his blocking. What we gain from a blocking tight end isn’t going to offset what we lose in the passing game if they’re not productive receivers. Schultz made some big catches last season that kept drives alive. If we lose Schultz and Amari our passing game isn’t going to be near what it was.

Hadenough

Reaction score
RUDOLPH hahahahaha he sucks! He had a couple good seasons about 10 years ago.
Schultz is much better.

fivetwos

Reaction score
He’s going to end up getting big money because he’s developed into a very good receiving TE. A blocking TE doesn’t make anything compared to a terrific receiving TE. You don’t see blocking TE’s going in the top 10-15 in the draft. Kyle Pitts wasn’t a top five pick because teams were enamored with his blocking. What we gain from a blocking tight end isn’t going to offset what we lose in the passing game if they’re not productive receivers. Schultz made some big catches last season that kept drives alive. If we lose Schultz and Amari our passing game isn’t going to be near what it was.
I think you're missing what I'm saying.

Give him big money and he plays three downs.

Not the best way to fix a run game.

His skill set is nothing special. Plenty of guys can catch footballs....especially as a dump off option. His run after the catch isn't overly impressive.

His run blocking isn't just not a strength, its a serious liability. No reason to pay this guy big money.

McKeon can do what he does and Jarwin is still here as of now as well.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think you're missing what I'm saying.

Give him big money and he plays three downs.

Not the best way to fix a run game.

His skill set is nothing special. Plenty of guys can catch footballs....especially as a dump off option. His run after the catch isn't overly impressive.

His run blocking isn't just not a strength, its a serious liability. No reason to pay this guy big money.

McKeon can do what he does and Jarwin is still here as of now as well.

Replacing him with a blocking TD who provides little in the passing game doesn’t guarantee it’s going to fix the running game. Schultz put up 78 catches for over 800 yards and 8TD’s last season. He provided a pretty good security blanket for Dak. If our passing game takes a hit that can hurt our running game. The running game isn’t going to improve much if we don’t fix the OL. I think adding a blocking FB could help the running game. It worked in the 90s I don’t see why it can’t work now. Moose led the way for a lot of big runs by Emmitt.