Twitter: Giants release TE Kyle Rudolph

fivetwos

Reaction score
Replacing him with a blocking TD who provides little in the passing game doesn’t guarantee it’s going to fix the running game. Schultz put up 78 catches for over 800 yards and 8TD’s last season. He provided a pretty good security blanket for Dak. If our passing game takes a hit that can hurt our running game. The running game isn’t going to improve much if we don’t fix the OL. I think adding a blocking FB could help the running game. It worked in the 90s I don’t see why it can’t work now. Moose led the way for a lot of big runs by Emmitt.
I'm not saying replace him with a pure blocking TE.

I'm saying don't give him big money, and draft a more complete TE to start.

Doesn't have to be a great blocker, just NOT a liability.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

The second TE you were referring to that’s under contract has done virtually nothing since signing that contract. Blake Jarwin has been a complete waste of money! He misses games and doesn’t show up when he gets opportunities. What Schultz has developed into is going to be difficult to find in the third or fourth round. I didn’t think much of him a couple of years ago but he’s developed into a very nice receiving TE. Granted his blocking is an issue but I really like his receiving skills. He had a couple of big plays called back this past season including a TD. Had Dak’s game not gotten off track Schultz might have had a 1000 yard season. We’re likely to lose him and it’s going to be a big loss in my opinion. If we lose him, Amari and DLaw or Gregory we’re moving closer to being a 8-10 win team next season at best unless we get real lucky in the draft and free agency. I can’t see us being a better team next season losing three key starters.

conner01

Reaction score
There’s fans that want to move on from every good player the Cowboys have except for Parsons and Diggs and that’s only because they’re on their rookie contracts. They don’t want to pay anyone! If it was up to some fans the Cowboys would be fielding a scrub team next season.
We’ve made mistakes with some second contracts and we’ve had some that worked out perfectly
That happens with every team
But you really can build a team turn the roster over ever 3-4 years
You only have normally 7 picks and of those 7 you have 3-4 turn out to be sold to good or great
No team hits on all 7 picks
It’s just not possible to build a team without signing guys to second contracts and there will always be guys that in hind sight wasn’t a good signing
There is just no way to be right every time
Fans have the luxury of judging way after a decision is made but teams have to make decision without knowing what the actual outcome will be

conner01

Reaction score

This draft appears to have some decent prospects but no real elite prospects. Schultz wasn’t an elite prospect but over time he developed into a pretty good receiver. Hopefully we can hit on another who is as good as a receiver and a better blocker
But it’s always a crap shoot

Carson

Reaction score
Non point now.

Dallas is showing interest in TEs early at the combine.

Chalk it up with

Jarwin
McKeon
Rookie TE

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the year to find TEs. Even the draft is loaded. One of the best TE classes in years.

Motorola

Reaction score
Pitts is going to be a Roddy White player so him being a te will not happen.

What Atlanta can sell is that they brought Patterson in on a one year deal and it helped his career. Can do the same for him.
Only if Rudolph can block to an adequate-to-good level equal to his catching skills.
2nd year HC Arthur Smith is going to make establishing a legit running game priority one for the Falcons offense.
Since you put forth that Pitts will be more WR (referencing Roddy White) than TE - all the other Falcons at tight end are going to be saddled with being primarily run blockers.
Can Rudolph fulfill that role at 32 y.o.?

8FOR!3

Reaction score
OJ Howard is actually older than Schultz. Not sure he is as reliable a receiver either. He certainly hasn't lived up to his expectations coming out of college.

You're right I was surprised to see he's 27. And he may not be as reliable a receiver, but I still think he could put numbers up in our offense and be productive for a quarter the price. Of course that would be a risk, there's no guarantee he could put up similar numbers.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You're right I was surprised to see he's 27. And he may not be as reliable a receiver, but I still think he could put numbers up in our offense and be productive for a quarter the price. Of course that would be a risk, there's no guarantee he could put up similar numbers.
OJ Howard has 24 catches in his last 21 game

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
The second TE you were referring to that’s under contract has done virtually nothing since signing that contract. Blake Jarwin has been a complete waste of money! He misses games and doesn’t show up when he gets opportunities. What Schultz has developed into is going to be difficult to find in the third or fourth round. I didn’t think much of him a couple of years ago but he’s developed into a very nice receiving TE. Granted his blocking is an issue but I really like his receiving skills. He had a couple of big plays called back this past season including a TD. Had Dak’s game not gotten off track Schultz might have had a 1000 yard season. We’re likely to lose him and it’s going to be a big loss in my opinion. If we lose him, Amari and DLaw or Gregory we’re moving closer to being a 8-10 win team next season at best unless we get real lucky in the draft and free agency. I can’t see us being a better team next season losing three key starters.
Good thing about Shultz is he gets better every season

8FOR!3

Reaction score
OJ Howard has 24 catches in his last 21 game

Right but he's been on a team with talented TE's and WR's getting targets ahead of him. Look I'm not really defending the guy's play but he was turned into a low usage player. Maybe it's because he sucks maybe it's because the other guys were just a little better.