Twitter: Gil Brandt has Kris Richard on his short list of head coaching candidates

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Harbaugh. Baltimore Ravens.

He had both special teams and defensive backs coach titles simultaneously. We've seen DB coaches make the jump. I'm talking about a guy whose specialty is special teams. Since 2001, Dave Taub has never been anything in the NFL but a special teams coach........his resume' looks nothing like harbaugh's. I have no idea why he's on Tex's list.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Remind you of the Sean Payton moment?

I think that one was a bit different. Parcells still wanted to coach at that point as I recall.

But yeah, it does make you wonder what might have been had Payton or Zimmer been Parcells successor rather than Wade Phillips.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Cowboys next HC won’t come from a top list of potential candidates. None that would demand more football control.

The Cowboys are a unique job where you aren’t expected surrounding yourself with hand picked assistants or final word in personnel decisions. Not very attractive for an up and coming coach.

Cowboys are more for a coach who cant get an offer elsewhere. Jerry doesn’t want a HC who could receive more credit than him for building a winner.

Jerry doesn’t need a new stadium built or instant success to generate revenue the only times he’s pursued a proven quantity for HC.

Unfortunately this is our destiny with Jerry. And why our dysfunctional situation is on an uneven playing field with the rest of the league.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Richard will be our DC next year if he doesn’t get a head coaching job elsewhere. With our luck Richard gets a HC job and Jerry fires Ginger after next season and Richard goes on to be a great one.
Loser mentality rhetoric.

DCCowboys11

Reaction score
The Cowboys next HC won’t come from a top list of potential candidates. None that would demand more football control.

The Cowboys are a unique job where you aren’t expected surrounding yourself with hand picked assistants or final word in personnel decisions. Not very attractive for an up and coming coach.

Cowboys are more for a coach who cant get an offer elsewhere. Jerry doesn’t want a HC who could receive more credit than him for building a winner.

Jerry doesn’t need a new stadium built or instant success to generate revenue the only times he’s pursued a proven quantity for HC.

Unfortunately this is our destiny with Jerry. And why our dysfunctional situation is on an uneven playing field with the rest of the league.

At the end of the day, none of us really knows what type of coach Jerry Actually wants. All we know is right now that guy is Garrett. The rest of the “No Coach will work for Jerry because he wants control” theories are just speculation. It’s the Dallas Cowboys!! Even Bill Parcells said it’s the “Big Stage”.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At the end of the day, none of us really knows what type of coach Jerry Actually wants. All we know is right now that guy is Garrett. The rest of the “No Coach will work for Jerry because he wants control” theories are just speculation. It’s the Dallas Cowboys!! Even Bill Parcells said it’s the “Big Stage”.

Its actually beyond obvious and has been written about ad nauseum. When an owner makes the statement "there are 500 guys who could coach this team", what would you infer his opinion is of the head coaching profession?

Last edited:

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Losing Kris Richard would be atrocious and just adds to the list of quality coaches we've lost over the years (Payton, Zimmer, Anthony Lynn, etc.).

ClintDagger

Reaction score
It baffles me how and why so many people think Riley would leave OU where he has power to a place he has little to none
Riley doesn’t have the power he would like to have actually. Stoops is still looking over his shoulder and Joe C is a very powerful AD. Riley is going to the NFL after this season one way or another. The people around him are already leaking it.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm guessing if there's more than a few head coach openings, we could very lose him ( of course unless Jerry makes the move).

if we were going to make the Move to Ricard then it should be now as Interim and see what he can do NOW as a practice run..give him some free games to get comfy..im not sure hes ready thats big jump but after the season we have to look at others as well and we might lose Ricard..id say if Garett has two more losses and we are for sure out of it, id make that move now..might be a like losing Sean Payton type deal..not sure ricard is Peyton but these moves if hes already here and you feel good have to get done now IMO

Sydla

Reaction score
Riley
DeFillippo

Those would be two names to keep an eye on IMO.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Jerry nem thinks Dak is the guy, so Riley makes too much sense.

May come down to Riley or Richard. Offense or Defense.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just me, but why so much love for Lincoln Riley? I see nothing to suggest he'll have a successful NFL coaching career. Not to mention, I read somewhere ( too lazy to look it up) Jimmy Johnson is the ONLY former college head coach without NFL experience to have a successful NFL career. Dealing with college players vs NFL is day and night, especially with no previous experience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Riley

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
All of these moves over the bye have much to do with Dak and the Cowboys ongoing evaluation of him as the future of this franchise. The next year and a half could decide whether Garrett is replaced with Richards. If Dak fails and isn't the future, Garrett will be gone. If Dak succeeds, then be prepared for a much longer Garrett tenure.
Garrett is going nowhere.

Unfortunately.

DAK is getting all the support to succeed so fear not.