Gil Brandt's greatest NFL defensive tackles of all time

joseephuss

Reaction score
While I agree about Lilly. Three others from that era were great players. Alan Page., Merlin Olsen and Buck Buchanan.

Page is 14th, Olsen is 3rd and Buchanan is 8th on this list. I would say they were all well acknowledged on this list.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
No Jerome Brown...

Brown was considered by many as the best DL on those 90/91 Eagles teams that had Reggie White at DE...

If not for his death prior to the 92 season I'm not certain the Cowboys would have won the division over the Eagles.
I have to imagine that only playing for five years is the main reason for him not being on this list. Having said that, I would take him over a lot of people on this list. He was a freaking beast inside.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
OH MY!!!

giphy.gif

Penalty in today’s NFL?

Skybox22

Reaction score
No Jerome Brown...

Brown was considered by many as the best DL on those 90/91 Eagles teams that had Reggie White at DE...

If not for his death prior to the 92 season I'm not certain the Cowboys would have won the division over the Eagles.
If Staubach didn't serve 5 or 6 years years in the navy, if Bo didn't shatter his hip, if Gayle Sayers Blah, Blah, Blah.
Not disrespecting just saying; Imagine Staubach in his early twenties( not 27! when he entered the league) Bo smashing people and Gayle Sayers flying around the field like he did. The NFL would be rewritten.
To your point though, those Eagles were nasty good. I think that's what made the Cowboys get better. That NFC East in the early nineties was brutal. Jimmy J knew it and he got the meanest MFers out there and changed that sh%%. He changed everything. They should have won five if not more. What a great time.
Much respect brother.

kskboys

Reaction score
If Staubach didn't serve 5 or 6 years years in the navy, if Bo didn't shatter his hip, if Gayle Sayers Blah, Blah, Blah.
Not disrespecting just saying; Imagine Staubach in his early twenties( not 27! when he entered the league) Bo smashing people and Gayle Sayers flying around the field like he did. The NFL would be rewritten.
To your point though, those Eagles were nasty good. I think that's what made the Cowboys get better. That NFC East in the early nineties was brutal. Jimmy J knew it and he got the meanest MFers out there and changed that sh%%. He changed everything. They should have won five if not more. What a great time.
Much respect brother.
Jimmy proved that speed and athleticism trumps meanness.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have to imagine that only playing for five years is the main reason for him not being on this list. Having said that, I would take him over a lot of people on this list. He was a freaking beast inside.
Maybe the best ever, IMO.

He was also "The" leader of the Eagles defense and of the defenses on those great Miami Hurricanes teams.

quickccc

Reaction score
Unbelievable ..!
Gil Brandt choosing William " Refrigerator' Perry ? ... instead of his brother Michael Dean Perry ?

and even over Kevin Williams of Vikes ?

or Philly's Jerome Brown ?

and over Gerald McCoy ?

.. Dana Stubblefield of Niners ?

.. Vince Wolfolk of NE ?

..or Dave Butz of Skins ?

.. or Pat Williams of Vikes ?..,

..or Steve McMichael, Bears

...or Jerry Ball... or Michael Carter Niners.. Tony Siragusa or Sam Adams,, etc etc.

and to add more insult to it, i believe William Refrigerator has NEVER even made one single Pro Bowl in his entire NFL career ..and yet he's listed in Brandt's All Time DT list ? ..WoW ! Unbelievable. :huh:

Last edited:

joseephuss

Reaction score
Unbelievable ..!
Gil Brandt choosing William " Refrigerator' Perry ? ... instead of his brother Michael Dean Perry ?

and even over Kevin Williams of Vikes ?

or Philly's Jerome Brown ?

and over Gerald McCoy ?

.. Dana Stubblefield of Niners ?

.. Vince Wolfolk of NE ?

..or Dave Butz of Skins ?

.. or Pat Williams of Vikes ?..,

..or Steve McMichael, Bears

...or Jerry Ball... or Michael Carter Niners.. Tony Siragusa or Sam Adams,, etc etc.

and to add more insult to it, i believe William Refrigerator has NEVER even made one single Pro Bowl in his entire NFL career ..and yet he's listed in Brandt's All Time DT list ? ..WoW ! Unbelievable. :huh:

I agree. He was an odd inclusion on this list with many other better options. I don't think Siragusa is one of them. He and Perry are basically the same player with neither ever making a pro-bowl. It is a huge jump from Perry to the next guy on the list(Glover) in terms of individual accomplishments(pro-bowls, all-pros, sacks...). It is a solid list with a few spots that might be swapped here and there. The players on the list and their accolades dwarf anything Perry ever accomplished.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Maybe the best ever, IMO.

He was also "The" leader of the Eagles defense and of the defenses on those great Miami Hurricanes teams.
Imagine him lining up next to Cox on the Eagles today. Brown vs. Fredbeard, both in their prime would have been a battle.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Why are we looking at a 3 yr old article? Aaron Donald has already surpassed most of the guys and should be top 5 at least. Brandon Williams on the list back then with 4 sacks and 100 tackles in 55 games and he left maybe the best NT ever off in Vince Wilfork off?