Give Dak a non-exclusive franchise tag

lk8701

Reaction score
Non-exclusive franchise tag: This is the most commonly used tag. When commentators colloquially refer to the "franchise tag" they are generally talking about the non-exclusive version. This is a one-year tender offer for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position over the last five years, or 120 percent of his previous salary, whichever is greater. The player can negotiate with other teams. The player's current team has the right to match any offer, or receive two first-round draft picks as compensation if he signs with another organization.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...se-tag-primer-teams-can-start-tagging-players

No need to negotiate against yourselves. The Cowboys can match an offer from another team or receive 2 first round picks.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Also, from that article...

Each team can only use one tag each year -- they can't designate both a franchise and transition player. A rescinded tender counts as a tag, meaning a team can't designate one player, rescind it, and use a new tag on another player in the same year. A player can be tagged up to three times by his team, with a jump in pay each occurrence.

I've seen the Dallas media guys say over and over they can Franchise Tag Dak and then use the Transition Tag on Cooper or Byron.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Non-exclusive franchise tag: This is the most commonly used tag. When commentators colloquially refer to the "franchise tag" they are generally talking about the non-exclusive version. This is a one-year tender offer for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position over the last five years, or 120 percent of his previous salary, whichever is greater. The player can negotiate with other teams. The player's current team has the right to match any offer, or receive two first-round draft picks as compensation if he signs with another organization.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...se-tag-primer-teams-can-start-tagging-players

No need to negotiate against yourselves. The Cowboys can match an offer from another team or receive 2 first round picks.

lol no one is giving 2 no 1 picks for DAK....:muttley:

lk8701

Reaction score

Each team can only use one tag each year -- they can't designate both a franchise and transition player. A rescinded tender counts as a tag, meaning a team can't designate one player, rescind it, and use a new tag on another player in the same year. A player can be tagged up to three times by his team, with a jump in pay each occurrence.

I've seen the Dallas media guys say over and over they can Franchise Tag Dak and then use the Transition Tag on Cooper or Byron.

Cowboys need to re-sign Cooper and Byron. Hopefully a team like the Broncos make Dak an offer. The Cowboys can get a top 10 pick in 2020 and another 1st rounder in 2021. The 2020 draft class is loaded. Tua, Burrow, Herbert, and Fromm. If the Cowboys hire Lincoln Riley they are set.

Ky31

Reaction score

They can if a new CBA is not reached!

conner01

Reaction score
Long time before we have to think about options for next year
I haven’t given up on this year yet

Verdict

Reaction score
If that happened the Cowboys could very easily lose Dak. His value on the open market would be very high.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Cowboys need to re-sign Cooper and Byron. Hopefully a team like the Broncos make Dak an offer. The Cowboys can get a top 10 pick in 2020 and another 1st rounder in 2021. The 2020 draft class is loaded. Tua, Burrow, Herbert, and Fromm. If the Cowboys hire Lincoln Riley they are set.
If you are going to dream. dream big.

LovinItAll

Reaction score

The Cowboys are not letting Dak go no matter how badly you want them to. They wouldn't let him go for two #1's that were guaranteed to be top 3 picks. It isn't happening. Get over your Dak hate.

- Tuaplayed like a chump yesterday.
- Do you watch Georgia football? Must not.
- Burrow and Herbert... please.

Lincoln Riley is not coming to Dallas.

Save this post and check back in two years.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Take the 2 draft picks.

Use that 35 million to either keep some guys like Quinn, Bennett, jones or bring in some good starting quality guys and then go draft a QB, safety, dl.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
They can if a new CBA is not reached!

Thanks.

Was wondering why so looked it up after your response and found this article:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26073422/nfl-cba-quirks-a-big-effect-2020-offseason

From the ESPN article:
Assuming no agreement on a new CBA is reached between now and March 2020, contract structures next offseason will be affected. And because of that, long-term contract structures and teams' long-range plans could be affected thisoffseason. To play off our lead example above, for instance: Article 10 of the CBA stipulates that, in the Final League Year, teams are allowed to designate one franchise player and one transition player. So, in a hypothetical (and, frankly, unlikely) example in which neither Prescott nor Cooper is signed to a long-term extension by the end of the 2019 season and no new CBA is negotiated by next March, the Cowboys would have the ability to keep both of those players off the open market by designating one a franchise player and the other a transition player.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
This is a weird divide.

Many Cowboy fans think teams would easily give up two #1's for him.

And then there Dak-haters and all fans from other teams who think there is no way that 1) Dak is worth that kind of money and 2) teams would be willing to give up that much to get him.

A Cowboys write (blogger maybe) was trying to make a point that a package of: Sam Darnold, Jamal Adams, and a 2nd round pick from the Jets would not be enough for Dak.

I'm neither side. I'm a Dak fan, despite not really wanting him coming out of college. He has won me over these past 4 years. However, I have friends and people I know who work for other teams and their general opinion is that Dak does not have league-wide value. They like him as far as his effort and athleticism, just not as a franchise Qb.

I think there are only a handful of teams that would be willing to be Dak top dollar, let alone pay him top dollar and fork over two first round picks for him. I fear we are negotiating against ourselves some here. I also think Dak has to realize that being The Dallas Cowboys quarterback offers perks that many other opportunities would not. Troy Aikman has a broadcasting career and endorsements, as does Tony Romo. Dak currently has endorsements I don't think he would playing for Jacksonville, Denver, etc.

I completely understand him and his agent wanting the best deal possible so I get his current stance. Zeke got paid, Tank got paid, and the Cowboys are a money machine, so why not get a huge deal? Dak was also willing to bet on himself this year (no threat of holding out) so props to him for that belief he hs on himself. He has gone out this year and out up serious numbers.

I'm with the OP. I'd be willing to tag him and if a team makes a ridiculous offer, you can match and if you don't you get two first round picks. A huge offer kind of validates their view of Dak (and disproves mine) so they can then justify matching it, saying "TEAM A was willing to make him the highest paid QB so we had no choice to match it."

If he somehow gets an offer from a team that we aren't comfortable matching, this is a good year to need a QB (Tua, Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, Jacob Eason), and then we get to reap the rewards of 4 to 5 years of an affordable rookie contract.

Try to be objective and go through the 32 NFL teams and think which teams would be willing to give him a top-3 deal and send us two first round picks.

visionary

Reaction score
The Cowboys are not letting Dak go no matter how badly you want them to. They wouldn't let him go for two #1's that were guaranteed to be top 3 picks. It isn't happening. Get over your Dak hate.

- Tuaplayed like a chump yesterday.
- Do you watch Georgia football? Must not.
- Burrow and Herbert... please.

Lincoln Riley is not coming to Dallas.

Save this post and check back in two years.

you could have just said’the Cowboys are stupid’

‘Tua played like a chump’ is all anyone needs to know about your football intellect. The guy threw 4 TDs against one of the best defenses on one leg

LovinItAll

Reaction score
you could have just said’the Cowboys are stupid’

‘Tua played like a chump’ is all anyone needs to know about your football intellect. The guy threw 4 TDs against one of the best defenses on one leg

Tua was a no-show for the first two quarters. That's a chump in big time college football.

mmohican29

Reaction score
People ignore the fact when you trade for or look to draft an unproven talent @ QB, you run the risk of looking like a team that has an unproven talent @ QB, and the rest of the team may suffer for it.