Give me dominant DL over super star QB

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
stopping the run is the key,we havent been good at it for a long time because we dont invest in good DTs and our LBs suck.
If we haven't invested in good DTs , how can you definitely say our LBs suck??

reddyuta

Reaction score
If we haven't invested in good DTs , how can you definitely say our LBs suck??

ofcourse we can,our LBs were terrible last season.they routinely got trucked,took wrong lanes,couldnt get off blocks and couldnt tackle to save their lives.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
ofcourse we can,our LBs were terrible last season.they routinely got trucked,took wrong lanes,couldnt get off blocks and couldnt tackle to save their lives.
Everything you listed with the exception of poor tackling is a byproduct of bad DL play.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Everything you listed with the exception of poor tackling is a byproduct of bad DL play.

getting off blocks is because of poor DL play? granted DL could have blocked better to keep the LBs clean but a lot of times LBs face 1-1 situations.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Brady isn't a super star Qb ? :facepalm:

Crazy. One of the best NFL QB's of all time is now not a superstar lol. Matter of fact both teams in the superbowl had superstar QB's. Now I do wish we go Dline heavy every year. Control the line of scrimmage and you can win games easier. I think to win games in the nfl you have to have good QB and defensive line play. One day we will actually have believe in having a good dline. Kind of like when we started drafting olineman in the first round.

We need at-least one dominate DT and a DE that can get to the QB. Hopefully Collins and Tyron Smith come back healthy to shore up the Oline.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crazy. One of the best NFL QB's of all time is now not a superstar lol. Matter of fact both teams in the superbowl had superstar QB's. Now I do wish we go Dline heavy every year. Control the line of scrimmage and you can win games easier. I think to win games in the nfl you have to have good QB and defensive line play. One day we will actually have believe in having a good dline. Kind of like when we started drafting olineman in the first round.

We need at-least one dominate DT and a DE that can get to the QB. Hopefully Collins and Tyron Smith come back healthy to shore up the Oline.

Brady at age 43 carried this team to a super bowl in his first year...... passing for over 4600 yards and 40TDs. ......... Incredible accomplishment. He's the best QB in the NFL and has been for almost 20 years. He's got nothing left to prove. The opinion that he's not a superstar is among the dumbest I've read on this board.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying this has nothing to do with Daks contract or his value.

Thinking of what’s won the last 12 years, I think it’s obvious, if you have a dominant defensive line, you can win more than with a super star QB.

Examples:

Giants - 08 and 11.
Broncos - 2015
Eagles - 2017
Tampa - 2020

The Seahawks first Super Bowl in 2013 and the Ravens in 2012 were also both won by solid-above average QBs at the time.

Offense only teams rarely win. Last years Chiefs are about the only team to do so. The Rams-Patriots game in 2018 was the ultimate defensive struggle.

So what this means for Dallas - you can’t win anything except maybe a 9-7 NFC East title until you get the DT spots shored up with real players.

I agree that there hasn't been a team that won the Super Bowl that didn't have a top 10 defense, but suggesting a DT is more important than a QB is just foolishness. The QB position is still regarded by most as the moist important position in all of sports, something even the best DT has never been thought of. You pointed out the ravens with Dilfer and their #1 defense is the one time in 55 Super Bowls where a below average QB won a Super Bowl. Even those defensive struggles you mentioned if there wasn't a good QB to get enough points on the other defense they may not have won those games. To put it another way, no sane GM would trade away their super star QB for even the best DT or if their team had nothing for QB and their choice in the draft was for the best QB in the draft or a DT, QB would win 10 out 10 times.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
That's what Parcells tried to do in 2015 instead of taking Aaron Rodgers.

What are you talking about? Rodgers was drafted in 2005 not 2015 and Parcells was just a courtesy consultant for the browns in 2015.

T-RO

Reaction score
Tom Brady's PFF score this year: 92.6

Tom Brady's contribution to his team in leadership, recruiting FA's (Gronk, Brown) game planning, reads, audibles, team culture? Priceless.

I totally thought the guy was over-the-hill and past his time. I got schooled.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
What are you talking about? Rodgers was drafted in 2005 not 2015 and Parcells was just a courtesy consultant for the browns in 2015.
Well, I think most people can realize the typo. You take everything so literally. :facepalm:

Sydla

Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying this has nothing to do with Daks contract or his value.

Thinking of what’s won the last 12 years, I think it’s obvious, if you have a dominant defensive line, you can win more than with a super star QB.

Examples:

Giants - 08 and 11.
Broncos - 2015
Eagles - 2017
Tampa - 2020

The Seahawks first Super Bowl in 2013 and the Ravens in 2012 were also both won by solid-above average QBs at the time.

Offense only teams rarely win. Last years Chiefs are about the only team to do so. The Rams-Patriots game in 2018 was the ultimate defensive struggle.

So what this means for Dallas - you can’t win anything except maybe a 9-7 NFC East title until you get the DT spots shored up with real players.

There's some flaws in this logic.

For example, if Foles doesn't play out of his mind those playoffs, they don't win a SB. It wasn't the DL that won them a SB, it was Foles play. So while he wasn't an "elite" QB, the Eagles got "elite" QB play in the NFC Title game and SB. They also went 13-3 in the regular season and that was in large part to the fact that was Wentz's only good season and if he hadn't gotten hurt, he probably would have had a Top 3 finish in NFL MVP voting. So I am not sure citing the Eagles 2017 season is proof you can win without an elite QB (or more specifically elite QB play).

And then it's just a game of averages. In the biggest games, who would you bet on giving you an elite QB performance? A true top level QB or rolling the die on a journeyman like Foles getting hot?

The QB is the most important position in football IMO. Sure, you can find an outlier or two but the majority of the teams that win SBs had elite QB play. That doesn't mean skimp on DTs because you have a great QB but if you have a choice between a dominant interior DL and an elite QB, you take the QB.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yes that defense is that good . The Margin would be less though
It was that great on Sunday.

Great game plan vs a depleted o-line.

People are turning a 20 game season into one game.

The D did have a nice season
8th in scoring defense (the offense was 3rd)
6th in total defense (the offense was 7th)

Great Balance

That's impressive