Give me dominant DL over super star QB

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
:laugh:
I'm not sure if the OP realized it, but if what you say is true, then the title suggests that Dak is a "super star":muttley:
No this has nothing to do with Dak. I would take the Giants 4 DL in 08 even over Mahomes.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
missing your starting tackles makes a huge difference and the refs had something to do with the game as well and the chiefs def backs were pulling and grabbing all night

Actually they lost 4 starters on the OL. Their starting RG opted out before the season started because of the Covid stuff, and then their LG plus both tackles were lost to injuries.
Then like you said, add to that the Refs turned it into a Flag Bowl instead of Super Bowl.
To me, it was a very disappointing game.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying this has nothing to do with Daks contract or his value.

Thinking of what’s won the last 12 years, I think it’s obvious, if you have a dominant defensive line, you can win more than with a super star QB.

Examples:

Giants - 08 and 11.
Broncos - 2015
Eagles - 2017
Tampa - 2020

The Seahawks first Super Bowl in 2013 and the Ravens in 2012 were also both won by solid-above average QBs at the time.

Offense only teams rarely win. Last years Chiefs are about the only team to do so. The Rams-Patriots game in 2018 was the ultimate defensive struggle.

So what this means for Dallas - you can’t win anything except maybe a 9-7 NFC East title until you get the DT spots shored up with real players.

Rahr-rum!
https://images.app.goo.gl/qyADrjtkPgPacpXK7

basel90

Reaction score
Elway had Terrell Davis too. Having a dominant run game helps.

Flacko probably should have lost, but he was going up against Kaep. The Meh QB Bowl. SF even outgained them on the ground, but lost the turnover battle 2-1. Ravens won the return game too with Jacoby Jones. He had a good game receiving too.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201302030sfo.htm
Very true . Dominant running game opens up so many opportunities to score and pass and control the clock

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying this has nothing to do with Daks contract or his value.

Thinking of what’s won the last 12 years, I think it’s obvious, if you have a dominant defensive line, you can win more than with a super star QB.

Examples:

Giants - 08 and 11.
Broncos - 2015
Eagles - 2017
Tampa - 2020

The Seahawks first Super Bowl in 2013 and the Ravens in 2012 were also both won by solid-above average QBs at the time.

Offense only teams rarely win. Last years Chiefs are about the only team to do so. The Rams-Patriots game in 2018 was the ultimate defensive struggle.

So what this means for Dallas - you can’t win anything except maybe a 9-7 NFC East title until you get the DT spots shored up with real players.
Tell that to the Commanders. They have the best DL in the NFL by far. Ask them if theyd like that super star QB

irving

Reaction score
Washington doesn’t need a Super star quarterback, they would settle for a good young NFL quarterback in a heartbeat.

ghst187

Reaction score
There are more instances where the team with a great D and average QB lost to the team with the great QB...examples
Pats over Atl
Pats over Rams
Chiefs over 49ers
Packers over Pitt
Cowboys over Pitt XXX

great DL is important for sure but if you want to single out just one indicator for success, it’s QB.
After that I’d say HC and then DL

waving monkey

Reaction score

Examples:

Giants - 08 and 11.
Broncos - 2015
Eagles - 2017
Tampa - 2020

maybe its the new NFL I cant say but QB is #1 ,OL #2 DL ##

irving

Reaction score
There are several instances of good quarterbacks winning in the Super Bowl against future Hall of Fame quarterbacks. Washington over Denver, New York over Denver, Washington over Buffalo, New York over Buffalo, Philadelphia over New England. No it doesn’t hurt to have a great quarterback or be to be great on defense or offense. However I think it’s usually borne out that the best team wins or the team that plays best on that day.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
It takes a team to win. QB is obviously the most important position and having a great one gives you a leg up but some people act like its the only position. Even a great QB isn't going to win with a bad defense and the most important positions on defense are on the line.

At the end of the day, everyone plays with the same budget. The team that wins is the one that is the healthiest and gets the most value for its money. A team should really build itself based on investing in the positions where there is a scarcity of talent.

Scarce talent (ie. less good ones than slots available): QB, LT, DT, CB
Non scarce talent (more good ones than slots available): RB, TE, 4-3 LB

Personally, I think one of Jerry's biggest flaws is that he has a tendency to overinvest in positions where he could get roughly equivalent play for less money. Dalton Schultz was a pretty good example of that this year. He wasn't elite but he was perfectly fine. A great team needs bargains like that.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
There are more instances where the team with a great D and average QB lost to the team with the great QB...examples
Pats over Atl
Pats over Rams
Chiefs over 49ers
Packers over Pitt
Cowboys over Pitt XXX

great DL is important for sure but if you want to single out just one indicator for success, it’s QB.
After that I’d say HC and then DL
Atlanta was offense only vs the Pats. That was Ryan’s MVP year.

Pats and Rams in 2000 was the defense and average QB (Brady as a rookie) beating a superstar offense. Pats Rams 3 years ago was a defensive struggle. McVays unstoppable offense was shut down for the first time and it exposed Goff.

Chiefs last year are about the only team that was offense only to win.

Cowboys had a great defense vs the Steelers. Larry Brown was MVP.

The Bills in the 90s were another offense heavy team nicknamed the K-Gun offense. Went 0-4.

Sydla

Reaction score
No one thinks 2 DT is better than a QB. A fully dominant front 4 is IMO. 2 stud DTs and DEs. Dallas is missing the 2 DTs. The DEs with DLaw and and Gregory are already good enough.

The QB is more important than the DL. Again it wasn't Philly's front four that won them that SB. It was that Foles turned into Tom Brady during their late playoff run. So to say the Eagles won a SB on the basis of DL play is wrong. They won it because of QB play.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It is a team sport. But the difference betweenTampa being 7-9 in 2019 and super bowl champs in 2020 is Tom Brady. Thats just the fact.

he was one of the reasons. probably even the biggest single reason. but there are always a lot of reasons that go into why a championship is won in team sports.

lets stop trying to boil complicated matters down to one answer. "they" put it all together, "they" deserve credit for that.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Tell that to the Commanders. They have the best DL in the NFL by far. Ask them if theyd like that super star QB

its always about what you don't have. they have a pretty good foundation on both sides of the ball. give them high level play from the QB and they can compete with anyone.

no different than those years where we were close but just needed a little more out of a couple positions to put us over the top.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he was one of the reasons. probably even the biggest single reason. but there are always a lot of reasons that go into why a championship is won in team sports.

lets stop trying to boil complicated matters down to one answer. "they" put it all together, "they" deserve credit for that.

He was the difference and everyone knows it. I'm not claiming he did it all by himself.

Rayman70

Reaction score
its not an either or thing You need both. Look at Tampa Bay. Look at KC. Tampa had 2 studs on the interior dline in Suh and Vea. Look at KC...they had Pennel and Jones on the interior dline. But if both those teams do not have very good QB's...they aren't making the playoffs, let alone making it to the SB. ideally, IT TAKES BOTH.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
I’ll take a stud QB over a dominant DL every time. History has shown that gives you the best shot at a Super Bowl.

Just look at this year, the teams with the best 4 QBs all made the title game: Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen.

Two teams with dominant DLs but no QB exited the playoffs early: Rams and Washington.

There are exceptions of course, and it’s best to have both like Tampa Bay.