Giving the front office credit

Macnalty

Reaction score
Thompson isn’t what I would classify as some impressive signing. Fleming and Hurns are nice signings.

They “targeted” Nolan Carroll last year and signed him.
I agree you cannot get your hands clean in one year after that deal.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thompson isn’t what I would classify as some impressive signing. Fleming and Hurns are nice signings.

They “targeted” Nolan Carroll last year and signed him.

Not every free agent signing is going to be "impressive", and in fact, most are just designed to find decent players to fill a spot in the roster, and hopefully with the player having some upside. That's how it is for every team, and that's why I don't have a problem with Thompson. He at least adds a speed element that is missing in our current WR's, and he can return kickoffs as well. Overall not splashy by any means, but he could very well be a solid addition.

LittleD

Reaction score
Not every free agent signing is going to be "impressive", and in fact, most are just designed to find decent players to fill a spot in the roster, and hopefully with the player having some upside. That's how it is for every team, and that's why I don't have a problem with Thompson. He at least adds a speed element that is missing in our current WR's, and he can return kickoffs as well. Overall not splashy by any means, but he could very well be a solid addition.

Solid replacement for that "numbskull" Butler.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
An epic failure.

Epic.
:facepalm:

His price tag was only $3 million/year, which is more the price tag for a rotational player than one expected to be a major contributor, so while it definitely was a failure, I would hardly call it epic. At most he put a mild dent in the salary cap, and we seem (keeping fingers crossed) to have a good group of young CBs to handle the position going forward.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We can argue about who Dallas should have targeted in free agency, but the team has landed the players it has targeted. The Joneses brought in Thompson, Hurns and Fleming and signed them.
Outside of Hurns, all they did was go out and sign scrubs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His price tag was only $3 million/year, which is more the price tag for a rotational player than one expected to be a major contributor, so while it definitely was a failure, I would hardly call it epic. At most he put a mild dent in the salary cap, and we seem (keeping fingers crossed) to have a good group of young CBs to handle the position going forward.

You can cover your own eyes, but nobody else's.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/nolan-carroll-6653/

This team paid a player $4 million dollars and got one mediocre game in return.

That's an epic failure.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If that’s the case then why isn’t he still here? He’s underperformed everywhere he’s been.

Two reasons:

1. This team never appreciated him from the start. After all, these bozos handed a scrub like Chaz Green the job before realizing that Cooper was by far the better option. He locked down the role and Green was forced to go be an embarrassment somewhere else. And the offense finally started to click once Cooper was playing with the starting group.
  2. San Francisco actually gave Cooper more than twice over the $2 million Dallas was paying him. The guy ended up getting a huge raise.
People want to throw dirt on Cooper because he's no longer a Cowboy. It's a typical fan move. But to try to cut him down and discredit his play in 2017 is bull****.

As of today, if they're not moving La'el Collins there, the left guard spot has taken a significant step backwards.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Solid replacement for that "numbskull" Butler.

The one thing that is going to be interesting is that they have an overload of receivers as things sit now, so someone will have to be cut. If it ends up being Thompson, then we will be able to say it was a bad signing.

Outside of Hurns, all they did was go out and sign scrubs.

A starting OT on a Super Bowl team is a scrub?

Rayman70

Reaction score
The one thing that is going to be interesting is that they have an overload of receivers as things sit now, so someone will have to be cut. If it ends up being Thompson, then we will be able to say it was a bad signing.

A starting OT on a Super Bowl team is a scrub?
I know right..UNREAL.:huh:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can cover your own eyes, but nobody else's.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/nolan-carroll-6653/

This team paid a player $4 million dollars and got one mediocre game in return.

That's an epic failure.

lol - yeah, that's my goal, to secretly inject my subversive thoughts into the minds of Cowboy fans everywhere. Dude, get over the goofy ulterior motive theories.

My point is it was a relatively small contract, and we drafted 3 CBs even after signing Carroll, so the team clearly wasn't looking at Carroll as being a long term anchor at that position. Accordingly, while he was a failure, there was no major damage done.

The use of the term "epic" is a big exaggeration. The Galloway deal was an epic fail. Carroll was a speed bump.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol - yeah, that's my goal, to secretly inject my subversive thoughts into the minds of Cowboy fans everywhere. Dude, get over the goofy ulterior motive theories.

Nothing to do with "ulterior motives". You're not that clever. You're just another fan who wants to make excuses, even when they can't.

My point is it was a relatively small contract, and we drafted 3 CBs even after signing Carroll, so the team clearly wasn't looking at Carroll as being a long term anchor at that position. Accordingly, while he was a failure, there was no major damage done.

The use of the term "epic" is a big exaggeration. The Galloway deal was an epic fail. Carroll was a speed bump.

And your "point" is a failure . Almost as bad as the Carroll signing. Go out and write up a list of NFL players who have ever been paid $4 million for one game worth of work. And then get back to me with these sorry *** excuses.

Again, fans like you want to excuse the fact that Carroll got $4 million from this team like it was "nothing". And that's pure fan nonsense.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing to do with "ulterior motives". You're not that clever. You're just another fan who wants to make excuses, even when they can't.

And your "point" is a failure . Almost as bad as the Carroll signing. Go out and write up a list of NFL players who have ever been paid $4 million for one game worth of work. And then get back to me with these sorry *** excuses.

Again, fans like you want to excuse the fact that Carroll got $4 million from this team like it was "nothing". And that's pure fan nonsense.

Well, you are focused on being a jerk, aren;t you. Apparently not able to have a difference of opinion without imaging some kind of personal issue going on. It's the internet - get over it. You are imagining a personal conflict that isn't there.

Nice use of bolded letters though - it expresses your imagined anger, but emotion doesn't somehow make your thoughts any different.

Now, you are now misusing the word "excuse" just as you are the word "epic". I have in no way excused the team for a bad decision on Carroll, and in fact have repeatedly said it was a bad signing. I've merely said the impact of that bad signing doesn't reach the "epic" level you place on it.

You can disagree if you like, of course, but your emotional responses don't make your case. Just agree to disagree, straighten out your panties, and get over it.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Yeah they had to sign Fleming because of how bad they botched drafting OT Chaz Green. Seems to me like we are seriously overrating Hurns too, I mean the Jaguars didn't even want him back.
The Jaguars didn't want Robinson back, either and he was their most consistent WR. Let's not fawn over the success of the mighty Jaguars after one flash in the pan season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, you are focused on being a jerk, aren;t you. Apparently not able to have a difference of opinion without imaging some kind of personal issue going on. It's the internet - get over it. You are imagining a personal conflict that isn't there.

Who's actually being the "jerk", looks to me like the first guy that has to resort to name-calling. I'm fine with a difference of opinion, but not some attempt at revisionist history. There's nothing "personal" about it, until you want to start calling people "jerks".

Nice use of bolded letters though - it expresses your imagined anger, but emotion doesn't somehow make your thoughts any different.

It's emphasis, not "anger". If it makes you mad, that's your issue, isn't it?

Now, you are now misusing the word "excuse" just as you are the word "epic". I have in no way excused the team for a bad decision on Carroll, and in fact have repeatedly said it was a bad signing. I've merely said the impact of that bad signing doesn't reach the "epic" level you place on it.

Again, $4 million for one games work. Epic failure. (Bolded for emphasis.)

You can disagree if you like, of course, but your emotional responses don't make your case. Just agree to disagree, straighten out your panties, and get over it.

Don't project your issues on anybody else. If anybody's "panties" are in a wad, it's the Cowboys fan that can't accept that his favorite team royally screwed up so he feels he has to make excuses for it or minimize it.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
all of those signings are average NFL talent. They lost Hitchens, who I think could be all pro in KC. Looks like wash so far. Now if Dallas somehow gets Suh or Earl...then you give them credit.
Lost Hitchens? You willing to pay an average of 9 million a year for a guy that's never even sniffed a Pro Bowl? Come on, man. That was weak.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who's actually being the "jerk", looks to me like the first guy that has to resort to name-calling. I'm fine with a difference of opinion, but not some attempt at revisionist history. There's nothing "personal" about it, until you want to start calling people "jerks".

It's emphasis, not "anger". If it makes you mad, that's your issue, isn't it?

Again, $4 million for one games work. Epic failure. (Bolded for emphasis.)

Don't project your issues on anybody else. If anybody's "panties" are in a wad, it's the Cowboys fan that can't accept that his favorite team royally screwed up so he feels he has to make excuses for it or minimize it.

Oh, so telling me I'm not clever, actually acting like a jerk, and making nonsensical claims about what I am doing and saying doesn't matter, only using the word jerk matters. Well, all I can say is it's ironic you accuse me of making excuses for the Cowboys, which I haven't, when you put in so much effort to make excuses for yourself.

lol - boy, those bolded words sure make a difference. You should try using larger font as well. You could double the emphasis.