Giving three years to a QB

waving monkey

Reaction score
I'm copying this from a article @ NFL.com by Bucky Brooks.
Because it must apply to Dakota also,shouldn't it?

n the scouting world, it takes about three years to determine whether a guy can really play. Although coaches and scouts want to accelerate the process for their young players, they understand that it takes some time to acclimate to the speed of the pro game while also mastering the nuances of the scheme. When it comes to the quarterback position, it takes about 30 starts with a strong supporting cast to make a solid assessment of someone's talent and potential as a QB1.

"You can't really figure out if your quarterback can play until you surround him with enough weapons to have a chance," an AFC college scouting director told me. "In a perfect world, you want to make sure a young quarterback has a couple of pass catchers, a solid offensive line and a running back that you can depend on. When they have those pieces around them, you can quickly see if they can play at a high level or not."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...year-3-pat-mahomes-debut?campaign=Twitter_atn

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I agree. That's why I don't want to give up on Dak though I don't believe he is our long term solution.

knightrider94

Reaction score
I wanted Fitzpatrick so bad.
Fitz would have been good.

The stupidity of the front office to have a second year qb with no veteran presence behind him. Romo, gone; Sanchez, gone. That Boise dude doesn’t count. No help. Dak may be a leader, but he is stil a young player in the league who has some serious flaws. A veteran backup was needed.

It’s almost just as bad as Dooley coaching wide receivers, but that’s another topic all together...

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Actually, this is nothing new. Heck, even Tom Landry used to say the same thing. Amazing how many fans/posters only need a year or two to make evaluations. Thanks for posting ..........

calicowboy54

Reaction score
I agree. That's why I don't want to give up on Dak though I don't believe he is our long term solution.

I think Dak COULD be the long term solution BUT that does not stop me from Drafting a QB in RD 1 - 3 this year as insurance if he does flop... if he does flop we have covered ourselves and bridged the gap hopefully.

knightrider94

Reaction score
I think Dak COULD be the long term solution BUT that does not stop me from Drafting a QB in RD 1 - 3 this year as insurance if he does flop... if he does flop we have covered ourselves and bridged the gap hopefully.
You would take a qb in round 1?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Absolutely. That's why I'm giving Dak next year. He took a step back this year especially after Zeke's suspension. Still think he got shell shocked after the Atlanta game. Hope he can come back. He's a good guy.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Three years for Dak and Taco should be the minimum, some players have taken 4-5 to fully bloom...

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
One of the biggest things Dak needs is a competant QB coach.
Wade Wilson has never been that, and if the reality is that most of the coach's will be back - they need to target a young QB wisperer to work with Dak.
Wilson skated by with Romo after David Lee groomed him. And brings nothing to help Dak at all.