1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Giving three years to a QB

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by waving monkey, Dec 29, 2017.

1. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

13,803 Messages
    13,305 Likes Received
    I'm copying this from a article @ NFL.com by Bucky Brooks.
    Because it must apply to Dakota also,shouldn't it?

n the scouting world, it takes about three years to determine whether a guy can really play. Although coaches and scouts want to accelerate the process for their young players, they understand that it takes some time to acclimate to the speed of the pro game while also mastering the nuances of the scheme. When it comes to the quarterback position, it takes about 30 starts with a strong supporting cast to make a solid assessment of someone's talent and potential as a QB1.

"You can't really figure out if your quarterback can play until you surround him with enough weapons to have a chance," an AFC college scouting director told me. "In a perfect world, you want to make sure a young quarterback has a couple of pass catchers, a solid offensive line and a running back that you can depend on. When they have those pieces around them, you can quickly see if they can play at a high level or not."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...year-3-pat-mahomes-debut?campaign=Twitter_atn

rpntex, Ranching and JoeyBoy718 like this.
  2. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

11,160 Messages
    10,586 Likes Received
    I agree. That's why I don't want to give up on Dak though I don't believe he is our long term solution.

Ranching likes this.
  3. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye.

21,717 Messages
    12,924 Likes Received
    Exactly. @percyhoward has done excellent work determining the situations in which Dak has struggled. I have to think the Cowboys coaching staff has reached the same conclusions. Give him time to learn how to handle those circumstances.

4. Ranching

Ranching Well-Known Member

24,759 Messages
    64,348 Likes Received
    I'd like to give him a good coaching staff and students receiver!

5. Shinaoi

Shinaoi Well-Known Member

3,399 Messages
    5,471 Likes Received
    Dak is going to get a third year so that’s not an issue in my opinion.

Jake, canters, DFWJC and 3 others like this.
  6. knightrider94

knightrider94 Well-Known Member

1,617 Messages
    2,397 Likes Received
    He needs a veteran qb in his ear. Bring back Sanchez. Makes more sense than having that Boise dude on the roster for most of the season.

7. robjay04

robjay04 Well-Known Member

6,043 Messages
    13,222 Likes Received
    I wanted Fitzpatrick so bad.

8. knightrider94

1,617 Messages
    2,397 Likes Received
    Fitz would have been good.

The stupidity of the front office to have a second year qb with no veteran presence behind him. Romo, gone; Sanchez, gone. That Boise dude doesn’t count. No help. Dak may be a leader, but he is stil a young player in the league who has some serious flaws. A veteran backup was needed.

It’s almost just as bad as Dooley coaching wide receivers, but that’s another topic all together...

robjay04, JDSmith and Shinaoi like this.
  9. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

9,706 Messages
    16,614 Likes Received
    Actually, this is nothing new. Heck, even Tom Landry used to say the same thing. Amazing how many fans/posters only need a year or two to make evaluations. Thanks for posting ..........

Irvin88_4life likes this.
  10. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

15,834 Messages
    10,627 Likes Received
    Well ya. You give most players 3 years. Let alone a qb who did damn good his first year.

Sarge, Irvin88_4life and ShiningStar like this.
  11. calicowboy54

calicowboy54 Well-Known Member

658 Messages
    388 Likes Received
    I think Dak COULD be the long term solution BUT that does not stop me from Drafting a QB in RD 1 - 3 this year as insurance if he does flop... if he does flop we have covered ourselves and bridged the gap hopefully.

12. knightrider94

1,617 Messages
    2,397 Likes Received
    You would take a qb in round 1?

13. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

20,797 Messages
    41,647 Likes Received
    Absolutely. That's why I'm giving Dak next year. He took a step back this year especially after Zeke's suspension. Still think he got shell shocked after the Atlanta game. Hope he can come back. He's a good guy.

14. CF74

CF74 Vet Min Plus

26,202 Messages
    14,681 Likes Received
    Three years for Dak and Taco should be the minimum, some players have taken 4-5 to fully bloom...

Ranching likes this.
  15. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

20,797 Messages
    41,647 Likes Received
    Some can make an evaluation after a game or two. lol

Irvin88_4life and Ranching like this.
  16. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

4,883 Messages
    1,380 Likes Received
    He will be fine.

17. kiheikiwi

kiheikiwi Maui No Ka Oi

2,455 Messages
    1,624 Likes Received
    One of the biggest things Dak needs is a competant QB coach.
    Wade Wilson has never been that, and if the reality is that most of the coach's will be back - they need to target a young QB wisperer to work with Dak.
    Wilson skated by with Romo after David Lee groomed him. And brings nothing to help Dak at all.

18. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

13,805 Messages
    7,280 Likes Received
    no

19. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

9,706 Messages
    16,614 Likes Received
    :lmao::lmao2:tell me about it

Ranching and PA Cowboy Fan like this.
  20. RJ_MacReady

RJ_MacReady mcompact

3,127 Messages
    5,778 Likes Received
    Of course Dak should get a 3rd season. Heck, Romo didn't see the field until his 4th. If we got to see Romo start in his 2nd year in the league, he'd probably been run off the team.