1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys news ..

Giving three years to a QB

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by waving monkey, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

17,726 Messages
    12,985 Likes Received
    But what about Kae.... ahhh never mind. :muttley:

waving monkey likes this.
  2. CowboysWillRise

CowboysWillRise Well-Known Member

11,972 Messages
    17,603 Likes Received
    Im not sure whats considered a strong supporting cast, or for that matter how many qbs actually get that luxury but I am sure Dak is about to finish his 32nd start so do we know what we have? Lol no, not really.

Its not time to give up on him, but he doesn't need to be handed the job either. Bring in some more talent and let the cream rise to the top.

Where exactly does this talent come from?? I dont care. When you dont have a proven qb it makes sense to continue to invest in the position until it is settled.

3. DakPresgoat

DakPresgoat Well-Known Member

16,189 Messages
    34,802 Likes Received
    Dak has played very well for 1 1/2 seasons. He has played poorly for 1/2 season.

Of course he deserves a 3rd season.

People with short memories forget that despite Dak’s very poor play the second half of this season he was playing very well the first half of the season.

4. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

12,133 Messages
    20,048 Likes Received
    If Josh Allan or Baker Mayfeild is on the board I most certainly take one in round 1. Preferably Allan

starcity214 likes this.
  5. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

7,075 Messages
    9,114 Likes Received
    Uh no he wasn’t. He was mediocre the first half of the season and became a bottom 5 QB in the second half. Dak slobberers were so focused on stat totals (which are meaningless to compare until the end of the season) that they didn’t even notice that he was 9th in passer rating, 22nd in yards per attempt and 16th in completion percentage... and that’s before Zeke went out. Since then he’s actually raised his completion percentage slightly (more dink and dunk) but every other metric has gone in the gutter.

6. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

8,410 Messages
    5,617 Likes Received
    Dak had possibly the best OL & RB that any rookie QB has ever stepped into. The WR core was never a problem when Tony was QB so we have to assume they are sound group also. At some point, we just run out of excuses and come to conclusion that not players with great rookie season pan out. Dak definitely deserves to compete for starting QB but there should be competition and I dont consider Rush competition.

7. Western

Western Well-Known Member

805 Messages
    1,986 Likes Received
    During the draft process, collegiate QB's are the most analyzed & scrutinized imperative positions for GM's and the player personnel department - especially the in last 20 years due to free agency and salary cap.
    In the last 20 years, super bowl winning QB's drafted outside of the 2nd round have been only Tom Brady, Kurt Warner (free agent in 1994), Brad Johnson, and Russell Wilson.
    And the Buccaneers and Seahawks were defensive talented teams in which Johnson and Wilson were game-managers, not game-changers.

If a team drafts a QB beyond the 2nd round and wishes to win a Super Bowl, they better believe that QB has at least the ceiling of a Tom Brady or a Kurt Warner.
    In Brady's 2nd full year as a starter, he won his 2nd Super Bowl. In Warner's 1st year as a starter, he won a Super Bowl.
    Do you all think Dak has the skill set of a 2003 Tom Brady or a 1999 Kurt Warner?

The idea that a team can outsmart the rest of the NFL by bargain-based shopping for a championship caliber QB is naive.
    In other words, get your franchise caliber QB in the 1st round (the percentages of 'hitting' on the QB in the 1st round is much greater than in subsequent rounds).
    History sets the context for the present.

If the BPA for Dallas is a QB in the 1st round, take the QB.
    Or move up in the 1st round and get a QB.
    But, Jerry will not do it.

wileedog, csirl, Philmonroe and 2 others like this.
  8. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

27,440 Messages
    9,181 Likes Received
    Wish fans would give Chaz green 3 years.

Doug free didn’t play until his third year and only played in a few games in 09 when columbo was hurt.

starcity214 likes this.
  9. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

8,410 Messages
    5,617 Likes Received
    last year people were annointing Wade Wilson with basically performing a miracle by taking 4th round QB with minimal arm talent, poor accuracy in college and almost never took snaps from center and got him to play lights out in his rookie year.

Fast forward to today and now Wilson is an idiot. Who is next, the cook at Star?

starcity214 likes this.
  10. LocimusPrime

LocimusPrime Well-Known Member

34,138 Messages
    93,098 Likes Received
    With some players can't you tell early on they got nothing. I thought devin street was junky his first year or let's take Chaz green.....does he need a third year for evaluation or do you kinda know that's he's janky.

starcity214 likes this.
  11. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

8,410 Messages
    5,617 Likes Received
    Wish there were more posters like you on the board.

starcity214 likes this.
  12. bodi

bodi Well-Known Member

5,394 Messages
    2,892 Likes Received
    who you hiding ?

13. starcity214

starcity214 Well-Known Member

853 Messages
    1,694 Likes Received

Haha... love it!

LocimusPrime likes this.
  14. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

16,165 Messages
    10,900 Likes Received
    Dlaw didn't hardly do anything in 3 years. Now everybody loves him lol

wrongway and LocimusPrime like this.
  15. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

52,604 Messages
    51,009 Likes Received
    Daks catching way too much heat around here anyways right now.

He’s not going to be Tony Romo so get over it.

The consistent 300 yard passing days are over.

Dak can still be a weapon for us though but he is going to be a Russell Wilson type which means we need to beef the team up around him.

RJ_MacReady and LocimusPrime like this.
  16. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

27,440 Messages
    9,181 Likes Received
    Wilson throws a terrific deep ball on top of the other stuff he does.

Dak doesn’t throw the ball well short middle or deep.

If the line is superior and the Runningback is not getting in trouble then Dak will have solid seasons. If he is asked to stand in there and play from behind and be an nfl level passer Dallas will be back to the 5-11 years pretty quick.

I am hoping they take another qb and allow that player to sit and learn for a year or two before Dak’s deal is up.

Right now the three most important positions in the organization are manned by Jerry, Jason and Dak.

This leads me to have no expectations.

17. black label

black label Well-Known Member

4,043 Messages
    6,624 Likes Received
    3 years? i need 3 minutes my record is perfection..hes garbage

18. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

12,371 Messages
    12,816 Likes Received
    Romo made JAGS like Ogletree look good. I don't think you can judge how good/bad a WR is based on how they played with Romo.

Dez, Twill, and Bease all looked good with Romo then they all looked average in 2015. They all looked good with Dak in 2016 and bad again in 2017. So what does that tell us?

19. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

26,987 Messages
    22,900 Likes Received
    He is on a dirt cheap rookie contract for 4 years.............he has played 2 of the 4 years............he has 2 years left.

If he turns into a top flight QB, you franchise him or sign him to a long term contract............If he still is struggling, you let him walk and don't resign

csirl likes this.
  20. Typhus

Typhus Catching Catfish

6,566 Messages
    6,671 Likes Received
    Finally yes...
    Just put yourself in Daks shoes for a moment,
    personally, I would have been having cold sweats if I where in Daks shoes with his options,,, 2nd year! Jees the Romo camp gave hims like what,, 7 yrs plus more before the love fest.
    Give Dak some real weapons... got 1 with Zeke.. need a couple extras please.