Giving up on LVE could haunt the Cowboys like WR Jimmy Smith

Mannix

Reaction score
I am 100% willing to take the chance on moving on....same with Jaclyn. Time for THREE new LB's to start out at the same time together....it's the smart thing to do. So it will not happen.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Cowboys gave up on WR Jimmy Smith after only 2 seasons and he ended up having an excellent career with the Jaguars. I don't think the Cowboys should give up on LVE too soon. I actually wished they used their 5th year option on him. So they wouldn't be obligated to use the franchise tag on him if he stays healthy and plays up to his ability. LVE is a HOF caliber talent.
Holding onto injury prone players because you're scared is worse. Leads to mediocrity.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
It's not wise to hold onto a player with a degenerative condition because some dude did it 20 years ago. LVE should never have been drafted in the 1st place, let alone as a 1st round pick.
Are you a doctor?

lk8701

Reaction score
Just because they didn't pick up his 5th year option doesn't mean they gave up on him. He still has one more year on his contract and if he balls out he will get extended.

Extending him long term wouldn't be a good option. A long term deal after staying healthy and playing well for 1 season is risky. If he does it for 2 seasons then it makes sense.

kskboys

Reaction score
we know he’s having trouble staying healthy and playing in games at a high level and that’s enough
And had the same issues in college, so this is not a new thing.

Injured players don't win games.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They didn't exercise that 5th year for a very good reason, ?'s about his long term health.

Jimmy Smith wasn't a long term health concern like a neck issue with a LB. Is he going to bust heads with OL and RB's?

His comments about coming back to Dallas and rededicating himself this offseason sounded like agent talk to me. Must have sounded like it to management as well.

Jipper

Reaction score
And had the same issues in college, so this is not a new thing.

Injured players don't win games.

yeah, it’s really unfortunate bc the guy has a very high football iq....mind is willing but the flesh is weak...I’d love to see him succeed but degenerative spinal issues only get worse with age

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
They didn't exercise that 5th year for a very good reason, ?'s about his long term health.

Jimmy Smith wasn't a long term health concern like a neck issue with a LB. Is he going to bust heads with OL and RB's?

His comments about coming back to Dallas and rededicating himself this offseason sounded like agent talk to me. Must have sounded like it to management as well.

If they have questions about long term health then they made a massive screw up when they drafted him because they checked him twice and gave it the green light.

If they had questions about his health I don’t think they would be publicly saying they want to get an extension done. That just makes no sense.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Are you a doctor?
Do you always need to be a doctor to make an informed decision from a medical standpoint? Is there not enough information out there to make a judgment call in this case? What kind of doctor do you speak of? Will you take the word of neurosurgeon or would you also want to hear from a sports psychologist and find out about any mental effects the player may be experiencing?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they have questions about long term health then they made a massive screw up when they drafted him because they checked him twice and gave it the green light.

If they had questions about his health I don’t think they would be publicly saying they want to get an extension done. That just makes no sense.
Are they saying they want to gat an extension done with him? Hadn't heard that, only that they declined the 5th year option.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Never sell low always sell high. It's like the stock market. Don't panic sell when the value is decreasing. Hope they stay healthy this season and rebound. Then consider trade options.

I think both are way past their peak. Neither are worth anything if they bomb this season.
We can hope for a rebound. I saw nothing last year from either of them which leads me believe they will rebound.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That's never stopped this place. :muttley:

I mean everyone on here just acts like they know his long term health issues and they say it with such confidence.

For all we know his neck could be perfectly fine and the collar bone was a minor set back and this fan base will have given away a phenomenal talent just cause of some draft rumor that the Cowboys checked multiple times before drafting him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Are they saying they want to gat an extension done with him? Hadn't heard that, only that they declined the 5th year option.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...h-option-creating-intrigue-at-lb/2622889/?amp

Executive vice president of personnel Stephen Jones said on his radio show Monday the club wants to keep Vander Esch longer term, saying the salary cap dictated the decision to decline the option.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Yeah, as it's said here it's less giving up and more understanding that a guy with so many question marks isn't necessarily worth $9m for a season.

I'm rooting for LVE, if he balls out it's not like the Cowboys can't retain him. They're just being practical here.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Do you possess any evaluation skills?
I just know a good player when I see one and from year 2, they started moving them around because they had these so called genius coaches. Question for you. Why not give him another year and see what he does. Quinn may get him and Jaylon both back to playing well.