Giving up on LVE could haunt the Cowboys like WR Jimmy Smith

visionary

Reaction score
I would explore trading both Jaylon Smith and LVE right now. Call teams and see what they are willing to give in return.
Neither Jaylon or LVE will be doing much for the team this year in my opinion. Maybe some other team will give up something for a name to sell hope to their fans.

we’ll get a big bag of hot air for Jaclyn

LVE, I expect will play very well (if he stays healthy) for a new contract so I expect we could get a rd 3 comp for him. I would trade him for a 2 but nothing less because we may as well use him

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys gave up on WR Jimmy Smith after only 2 seasons and he ended up having an excellent career with the Jaguars. I don't think the Cowboys should give up on LVE too soon. I actually wished they used their 5th year option on him. So they wouldn't be obligated to use the franchise tag on him if he stays healthy and plays up to his ability. LVE is a HOF caliber talent.

HOF caliber talent? :lmao::lmao::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

That was funny.........thanks. Jimmy Smith was 1-100 situation.

They also arent "giving up" on LVE. He gets another year to prove he can stay healthy, and that his rookie year wasnt a fluke. If he does great, they can resign him. If not, they dont have to waste 9 million.

visionary

Reaction score
I just know a good player when I see one and from year 2, they started moving them around because they had these so called genius coaches. Question for you. Why not give him another year and see what he does. Quinn may get him and Jaylon both back to playing well.

the problem with LVE is not talent, he has that plenty, the problem is that because of serious neck problems he is literally one hit away from retiring at a position where violent hitting is the calling card. He will demand top LB money. You factor in all these things and this is not a player I give a long term contract

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Do you always need to be a doctor to make an informed decision from a medical standpoint? Is there not enough information out there to make a judgment call in this case? What kind of doctor do you speak of? Will you take the word of neurosurgeon or would you also want to hear from a sports psychologist and find out about any mental effects the player may be experiencing?
A surgeon of course. Nobody really knows for sure but I'll go along with what Stephen said and of course the doctor until further notice.

Bigdog

Reaction score
That may be but you can’t be HOF of your not on the field. Can’t get any pub if you are in the tub.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
the problem with LVE is not talent, he has that plenty, the problem is that because of serious neck problems he is literally one hit away from retiring at a position where violent hitting is the calling card. He will demand top LB money. You factor in all these things and this is not a player I give a long term contract

He's done. A neck injury is a career killer for a MLB. Cant be tentative or worrying about hitting people.

If for some miracle he can play a whole season and kill it, what are the chances he strings a few years together like that? Even when he has been healthy the last 2 years he looks terrible.

Zman5

Reaction score
Both JSmith and LVE's future with the team is going to depend on how they do this season and how the rookie LBs do this season.

If some of the rookies have a good season, one or both of them will be gone next year.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Both JSmith and LVE's future with the team is going to depend on how they do this season and how the rookie LBs do this season.

If some of the rookies have a good season, one or both of them will be gone next year.
Should be a competitive camp, that's for sure.

FaSho

Reaction score
All you forum doctors seem to know everything about LVE's medical makeup.

My concern was, he was healthy last year until he broke his collarbone (not neck) but wasn't playing well at all when healthy. He played scared. Maybe this is health-related, but nobody here knows that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I think they are both gone. LVE would have to play really well and then resign for reasonable.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
If these two guys have lingering injury/health problems, then your opinion is complicit

I get it,,,we aren't he team doctors or execs. But when they come back and blame the NFL for their long term injuries/health...well they are also making fans complicit in it too.

I think both of these guys should retire. Not because I hate them (for not being cowboys legends? ) but because they are injured and i have compassion for them as human beings.
:huh::thumbdown::huh:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
All you forum doctors seem to know everything about LVE's medical makeup.

My concern was, he was healthy last year until he broke his collarbone (not neck) but wasn't playing well at all when healthy. He played scared. Maybe this is health-related, but nobody here knows that.

The entire defense was awful besides Gregory.

I didn’t think LVE looked that bad and all the rumors about the scheme being too complex for our players probably had a negative impact on just about everyone.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Nah pass. Neck injuries don't just get better at linebacker. LVE had one good year and that was his rookie year. The next 2 years he played 19 out of 32 games. I'll pass. Often injured guy. Can't make plays on the sideline.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
The Cowboys gave up on WR Jimmy Smith after only 2 seasons and he ended up having an excellent career with the Jaguars. I don't think the Cowboys should give up on LVE too soon. I actually wished they used their 5th year option on him. So they wouldn't be obligated to use the franchise tag on him if he stays healthy and plays up to his ability. LVE is a HOF caliber talent.

You’re using an example of a guy from 30-years ago, really? How about holding on to a guy way to long like Noah Brown, Terrance Williams and Tyrone Crawford and the many other Cowboys that we have held into for too long. I like LVE and he will have an opportunity this year to prove if we need to resign.

conner01

Reaction score
I agree, I really want LVE to retire. I don't want him in a wheelchair the rest of his life. Jaylon's injury doesn't scare me too much as far as the rest of his life is concerned. But LVE just got married and he's got his life ahead of him. With his injury one bad hit to the neck could cripple him. I'd just assume he retire and live a long, happy, safe life.
I don’t know how serious it is for the future
I assume he does
But he’s fault hard to chase his dream and I hope if it is that dangerous he walks away but I don’t see that happening
It would be very hard to walk away from his life’s dream

conner01

Reaction score
Nah pass. Neck injuries don't just get better at linebacker. LVE had one good year and that was his rookie year. The next 2 years he played 19 out of 32 games. I'll pass. Often injured guy. Can't make plays on the sideline.
The team handled it right this time

CWR

Reaction score
I dont believe they've given up. They just aren't going to guarantee that kind of money given his last couple of years. If he gets right he may still get paid in Dallas. It's more likely Jaylon is gone first imo

conner01

Reaction score
I dont believe they've given up. They just aren't going to guarantee that kind of money given his last couple of years. If he gets right he may still get paid in Dallas. It's more likely Jaylon is gone first imo
I think both are on a short and expensive leach
LVE when healthy is a very good player
Jaylon is better than most here think
But jaylon is over paid and when you get an opportunity to fix that you do
But health risks with LVE are a concern when you sign a long term deal
Very risky for LVE
Too expensive for production with Jaylon

Reactions: CWR

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
I don't know how this is going to play out, but with Parsons, LVE, Jaylon, Neal, and Cox this could be the best and deepest group of LBers we had in a long time. Or they could suck....

SSoup

Reaction score
Costing ourselves a #1 receiver during a time when Troy Aikman was desperate for another weapon (after Novacek retired and Harper walked in free agency) was a disaster. Keeping Smith would've prevented the Joey Galloway debacle (saving us two 1st rounders) and would've better equipped us to absorb the crippling blow of Irvin's career-ending injury.

Costing ourselves a lumbering run-stopping 43 linebacker in 2021 when that's the easiest position to fill on a defense? Rather less of a problem.