Giving up on LVE could haunt the Cowboys like WR Jimmy Smith

plasticman

Reaction score
So...for one...not sure what evidence you have LVE won't be injured. He's missed as lot of time surely you understand your opinion is exceedingly optimistic...based on factual history.

And NOW...you say they should super outperform themselves because of a "chip on their shoulder"...NOW? I expect all NFL/pro athletes to ALWAYS have a "chip on there shoulder". To always outperform themselves and move the bar.

If they haven't, they are behind everyone else. Is that why LVE and Jaylon haven't excelled so far?
Of course, I can't prove they won't be injured. I don't expect them to outperform themselves, if they can remain healthy, I expect them to at least return to their production of 2018, in which LVE was a Pro Bowler. LVE did excel and would have continued to do so if it weren't for his injuries.

LVE had some injuries. That doesn't imply that he will have injuries again. I can give you example after example of players that had early injuries only to come back and be a great contributing star. You should check out Michael Irvin's first 3 seasons. Linebacker Ken Norton jr. had nagging injuries his first three seasons and then exploded in his fourth. DeMarco Murray missed 18 games in his first three seasons, played in all 16 his fourth season and broke the Cowboy's single season rushing record.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys gave up on WR Jimmy Smith after only 2 seasons and he ended up having an excellent career with the Jaguars. I don't think the Cowboys should give up on LVE too soon. I actually wished they used their 5th year option on him. So they wouldn't be obligated to use the franchise tag on him if he stays healthy and plays up to his ability. LVE is a HOF caliber talent.

so there was this guy that used to know a little about football and he said something akin to: “you can’t make the club from the tub”. So ignore his history and medical situation and pour more resources in to this guy ? It’s foolish thinking like yours that had us commit to 3 known, injury prone linebackers - Lee, Smith, and LVE. We sank 3 high picks in to these guys and none of them were worth the investment. And after those 3 wasted picks, Jerry has nothing at LB now and had to sink a first rounder and fourth rounder in to LB this draft. Even Jerry knows it’s dumb to invest more in LVE.

plasticman

Reaction score
so there was this guy that used to know a little about football and he said something akin to: “you can’t make the club from the tub”. So ignore his history and medical situation and pour more resources in to this guy ? It’s foolish thinking like yours that had us commit to 3 known, injury prone linebackers - Lee, Smith, and LVE. We sank 3 high picks in to these guys and none of them were worth the investment. And after those 3 wasted picks, Jerry has nothing at LB now and had to sink a first rounder and fourth rounder in to LB this draft. Even Jerry knows it’s dumb to invest more in LVE.
How is LVE a wasted pick when he was a Pro Bowler his first season while leading the team in tackles?

How is Jaylon Smith a wasted pick when he is ranked 3rd in the league in tackles for the last combined last three seasons. He was the 2nd leading tackler in the league last season. If you want to improve this team's defense, you don't start with the linebackers. It is extremely challenging to be an effective LB when the DT's play like sliding glass doors.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
It's not wise to hold onto a player with a degenerative condition because some dude did it 20 years ago. LVE should never have been drafted in the 1st place, let alone as a 1st round pick.
*I hold great regret in liking ,let alone finding myself agreeing w/ yer' opined observation, but in the clear light of this day, it's sure enuff true*:star::(

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
This fanbase is so gunshy about believing in LVE again. He got hurt, got fixed, rehabbed, and now he's back people. It doesn't matter what you people think anyway. The Cowboys know LVE is back, they just didn't want to be on the hook for that 5th-year option because of limited cap space. He will be the wolfhunter we love and they will give him a new contract.
*There's always been a certain correlation in my mind after hearing the term "degenerative",,, ya,know Joe? And,I just can't seem to flush it,man*

EST_1986

Reaction score
This fanbase is so gunshy about believing in LVE again. He got hurt, got fixed, rehabbed, and now he's back people. It doesn't matter what you people think anyway. The Cowboys know LVE is back, they just didn't want to be on the hook for that 5th-year option because of limited cap space. He will be the wolfhunter we love and they will give him a new contract.
Lol

Beaker42

Reaction score
The Cowboys gave up on WR Jimmy Smith after only 2 seasons and he ended up having an excellent career with the Jaguars. I don't think the Cowboys should give up on LVE too soon. I actually wished they used their 5th year option on him. So they wouldn't be obligated to use the franchise tag on him if he stays healthy and plays up to his ability. LVE is a HOF caliber talent.
No, this cat is damaged goods and we made a huge mistake taking him.

Beaker42

Reaction score
LMAO. The only thing he’s “back” at is sucking. He needs to be gone.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
*There's always been a certain correlation in my mind after hearing the term "degenerative",,, ya,know Joe? And,I just can't seem to flush it,man*

LMAO. The only thing he’s “back” at is sucking. He needs to be gone.
You don't know what you are talking about. He's fine. I'll help you out... get educated, read this...

Cowboys' Leighton Vander Esch fully recovered from neck injury, 'excited' to return and feeling 'wonderful' (msn.com)

Havic

Reaction score
LVE was only good his rookie year. Since, he has looked lost and misses a lot of games. We get rookie LVE back, then yes resign him, otherwise its time to walk. Big year for LVE.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Rookie Season: . He was selected to the Pro Bowl, named second-team All-Pro, and selected to the PFWA All-Rookie team. His 87.5 grade from Pro Football Focus was fourth among all qualified linebackers.

The most impressive part: He only started 11 games as a rookie.

Oh, OK, so hall of fame potential based on one out of four years? Yeah, you sound like you'd fit right in with the Cowboys talent evaluation team.

The most important ability is availability and Vander Esch has shown he'll never give you a premium return there.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Oh, OK, so hall of fame potential based on one out of four years? Yeah, you sound like you'd fit right in with the Cowboys talent evaluation team.

The most important ability is availability and Vander Esch has shown he'll never give you a premium return there.
Never say never.

Praxit

Reaction score
... I feel they replaced him already. They went defense crazy in draft.

jnday

Reaction score
Dallas ran tests on him before they drafted him.. I think they even did it the day before.
I remember the rumors about his neck problems that was going around right before the draft. I assumed that everything was okay after the Cowboys gave him a look/see , but apparently it was not. I really liked the kid and hope he can return to top form, but it is not looking good.

jnday

Reaction score

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
LVE plays with concern of his neck. I saw a guy stiff-arm him once and LVE punched the guy while he was on the ground. Resulting in a 15 yard penalty. Imagine a LB actively trying to avoid a stiff-arm on every tackle. He'd rather drag the guy down from behind.

So we got J.Smith avoiding OL, easily push around DT's, and LVE trying to drag guys down from behind. No wonder teams ran all over us.