Glimpses of Jags Draft Board

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
On a scale of probably 3 or 4 to 9, the Jags had Lawrence as an 8. the only other player that had an 8 was WR Waddle. Links below. I thought this had some interesting info.

Too bad they don't have any Cowboy players chose. Would have been awesome to see where Parsons and Joseph were. I am guessing if Waddle had an 8, Parsons also had an 8.

Come on Jerry, release the Cowboy draft board. Give us a few glimpses to talk about. The draft is over. Give us the top 40 players and the grade you had on them. No one is trading or cutting the top players chosen.

Jaelan Phillips had a 7.5.
QB Zach Wilson had a 7.0.
OT Alliah Vera Tucker had a 7.5.
RB Travis Etienne with a grade of 7.0.
Kwity Paye had a 6.8.
Georgia CB Tyson Campbell had a 6.9.
CB Farley had a 7.0-7.5.
Syracuse S Cisco had a 6.9
Stanford OT Little had a 6.8.
USC Tufele had a 6.4.

Their draft board had some interesting numbers. They had SCCL for Lawrence and Etienne. SCCL-South Carolina Clemson. NYSU-New York Syracuse. Don't know why they would have the state info there. If it is state info. Followed by height and weight. They have 4.60E for Lawrence and 4.42V for Etienne. Is that a 40 time?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/22/jaguars-were-very-high-on-jaylen-waddle/

https://sports.yahoo.com/jaguars-fo...eT6ac2uSLxEZbwlxjKUk8ffaoBg2dVukf_Xs3P0ikf-Of

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Notice there isn't a whole lot of difference with a lot of players. People often complain about draft boards and player grades but how much difference is a grade of 7.0, 6.9, 6.8, and 6.4? So, they basically had Etienne, Paye, Campbell, Wilson, and Little with essentially the same grade. I can see why teams take these boards with a grain of salt and sometimes go with hunches.

There just isn't much science when putting together draft board grades. Hence, the hit/miss percentages.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Notice there isn't a whole lot of difference with a lot of players. People often complain about draft boards and player grades but how much difference is a grade of 7.0, 6.9, 6.8, and 6.4? So, they basically had Etienne, Paye, Campbell, Wilson, and Little with essentially the same grade. I can see why teams take these boards with a grain of salt and sometimes go with hunches.

There just isn't much science when putting together draft board grades. Hence, the hit/miss percentages.
I don't know that "hunches" is the right term, or that the hit-miss percentages are connected to a lack of "science" in putting together boards.

The range of possible outcomes for any draftee is incredibly high. Even if you had perfect information about the player, there would still be huge error bars around your projection. So yeah, there's no meaningful difference between 6.8 and 7.0, and you can justify picking any of those guys over any other. But you don't need to resort to hunches at that point: there's a lot of variation in the profiles of players with the same score. You may choose one because you think the other might be there at your next pick. One may have a higher ceiling but a lower floor, and so you can choose the risk-reward profile you prefer. When players are rated about the same, that's when you may factor "need" in. There are lots of criteria that should go into the decision-making before you get to "hunch."

Of course, I expect there are plenty of guys who are picked on a hunch anyway.

fivetwos

Reaction score
On a scale of probably 3 or 4 to 9, the Jags had Lawrence as an 8. the only other player that had an 8 was WR Waddle. Links below. I thought this had some interesting info.

Too bad they don't have any Cowboy players chose. Would have been awesome to see where Parsons and Joseph were. I am guessing if Waddle had an 8, Parsons also had an 8.

Come on Jerry, release the Cowboy draft board. Give us a few glimpses to talk about. The draft is over. Give us the top 40 players and the grade you had on them. No one is trading or cutting the top players chosen.

Jaelan Phillips had a 7.5.
QB Zach Wilson had a 7.0.
OT Alliah Vera Tucker had a 7.5.
RB Travis Etienne with a grade of 7.0.
Kwity Paye had a 6.8.
Georgia CB Tyson Campbell had a 6.9.
CB Farley had a 7.0-7.5.
Syracuse S Cisco had a 6.9
Stanford OT Little had a 6.8.
USC Tufele had a 6.4.

Their draft board had some interesting numbers. They had SCCL for Lawrence and Etienne. SCCL-South Carolina Clemson. NYSU-New York Syracuse. Don't know why they would have the state info there. If it is state info. Followed by height and weight. They have 4.60E for Lawrence and 4.42V for Etienne. Is that a 40 time?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/22/jaguars-were-very-high-on-jaylen-waddle/

https://sports.yahoo.com/jaguars-fo...eT6ac2uSLxEZbwlxjKUk8ffaoBg2dVukf_Xs3P0ikf-Of
The most successful coach in league history goes out of his way to say as little as possible to the rest of the world.

I can't wait for the day Jerry says less than he does.

I'd rather have less to debate than the rest of the league knowing our grading tendencies.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd be willing to bet they don't have any of our players under a 7.

pancakeman

Reaction score
I don't get the comments that since these numbers are close there's "no meaningful difference" between the players or that they're "essentially the same." If they bothered to distinguish the numbers, then it's meaningful. If 7.0 and 6.4 seem like essentially the same number, would you say the same if the scale had them at 70 and 64, or 700 and 640?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't get the comments that since these numbers are close there's "no meaningful difference" between the players or that they're "essentially the same." If they bothered to distinguish the numbers, then it's meaningful. If 7.0 and 6.4 seem like essentially the same number, would you say the same if the scale had them at 70 and 64, or 700 and 640?

Yes but not 7000 and 6400.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The most successful coach in league history goes out of his way to say as little as possible to the rest of the world.

I'd rather have less to debate than the rest of the league knowing our grading tendencies.
A. Jerry isn't a coach.

B. Your wait will end when Jerry is dead.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score

If I told you a woman was a 6.8/9 hot, another 6.9/9 hot, and another 7.0/9 hot, would you jump all over the 7.0 hot one without even considering the others?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score

That most successful coach in league history has been having some real clunker drafts the past bunch of years. That same coach just watched his star QB leave and win a SB with another team. Can Belichick win without Brady? So far, no but we shall see. Can Brady win without Belichick? Sure can.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
If I told you a woman was a 6.8/9 hot, another 6.9/9 hot, and another 7.0/9 hot, would you jump all over the 7.0 hot one without even considering the others?
This is a little different though. The grading system most teams use typically starts at a 5 or 6 and ends at an 8 or 9.

nfl.com is about as generic as they come, they do a 5-8 scale which I’m guessing is what Jacksonville uses as well. Per their ranking explanations a 6.2 is a career backup, a 6.7 is an year 1 starter. Idk why they do it that way, but with such a small scale to work with every tenth of a number matters.

fivetwos

Reaction score
That most successful coach in league history has been having some real clunker drafts the past bunch of years. That same coach just watched his star QB leave and win a SB with another team. Can Belichick win without Brady? So far, no but we shall see. Can Brady win without Belichick? Sure can.
I doubt he rights the ship by releasing the teams draft board to the public, as the OP suggested.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score

Exactly. Once the first 15 to 20 players on most team's boards are gone, the grades are pretty much all the same. That's why you hear teams say they had a third round grade on somebody they pick in the 5th or 6th round. The differences are minimal at that point.

DFWJC

Reaction score
For starters, I bet 8 is the max number for Jacksonville, not 10. That would follow many scouting groups.

Anyway....
Players usually fall in tiers.
A team has the vertically easy-to-follow draft board up on the draft day, but taking a player listed at 5.7 vs 5.8 would be no big deal as they would be lumped in the same tier, most likely.

5.7 ahead of 6.3, for example....that's probably a different tier (or group of players rated similarly) and a bit of violation of the work done by the scouts.

Not rocket science.
The big work is in scouting the players and building tier groups
Then just don't freak out.....just trust the work put in.

lkelly

Reaction score
Did they show the part of the board where they have written in permanent marker: "Tebow, Tim: 11.0"...?

Loso86

Reaction score

Who is the most successful coach?

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
To be fair, we're not exactly sure if the scale goes to 9 or not.

The official NFL.com score goes from 5.0 to 8.0, with 8.0 being the perfect prospect, and 5.0 being a training camp body.

If the Jag's scale is similar, they have Lawrence listed as a perfect prospect.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
A. Jerry isn't a coach.

B. Your wait will end when Jerry is dead.

A. Yes he is. Ask him.
B. There is no end. Fans have family to suffer through.
C. Next........