GMFB-Nate Burleson & Kyle Brant:Is Dak Prescott the most important player on the Cowboys?

Carson

Reaction score
LLLOOOLLL I love these.

Is Dak elite? When he wins a super bowl they will turn to the “well anybody can win one! Only elite guys win two” Just needs clicks, views.

Like Parcells said, you can’t just call a 1-800 number and snag a franchise QB. Regardless of the argument, I’m happy to have him and Zeke for a majority of their career if not all.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
If anybody wants to see what the Cowboys would look like without Dak, find some 2015 highlights when Romo missed most of the season. 1-11 with the other quarterbacks.

I understand some of the excitement over Mike White, but he's still a project. The offense he ran at Western Kentucky featured a lot of predetermined throws. He's a real talented kid but he needs a lot of work on his timing in the pocket and on reading defenses.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Well, I feel the passing game would have to adjust to a different QB, and it's not to say that they couldn't surprise us, but I'm not betting the farm. Just not a desirable situation if Dak goes down.
Now, to play devil's advocate, how many of us wondered how Dak would do when Romo and Moore went down in 2016 preseason? :D
I do not think any of us were happy when Romo went down.

But by then..

he was doing it regularly...

screwing up in big games that is.

His loss in the playoffs to Brett Farve and Minnesota was a low point exceeded only by his loss to Seattle in the playoffs where he fumbled the snap for the winning FG.

Then there was failing to win your last game of the season 3 years in a row to get in the playoffs.

So I do not want to replace DAK.

I just want him to earn this contract.

To me..paying him without title banners in hand is risky.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While it was nice that we ended up getting Zeke, Jaylon, and Dak out of the 2015 debacle, it bothers me that the FO clearly hasn't learned anything from that season. Not saying that I expect us to have Nick Foles as a backup, but a solid backup, imo, is one of the most important positions in the NFL. We started with a great 2-0 record in 2015. We lost every game until Romo returned for the Phins, then proceeded to lose every game until a lucky fumble by Desean Jackson. Had we had better backups than Weeden, Cassel, and Moore, we might have had a chance at the playoffs. Yet, we essentially threw away a perfectly good season. That seems to be the plan if we lose Dak.
It does indeed. :facepalm:

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I do not think any of us were happy when Romo went down.

But by then..

he was doing it regularly...

screwing up in big games that is.

His loss in the playoffs to Brett Farve and Minnesota was a low point exceeded only by his loss to Seattle in the playoffs where he fumbled the snap for the winning FG.

Then there was failing to win your last game of the season 3 years in a row to get in the playoffs.

So I do not want to replace DAK.

I just want him to earn this contract.

To me..paying him without title banners in hand is risky.

Not to turn this into a "defend Romo" thread, but he was under siege in that Minnesota playoff loss. Sacked six times and knocked down 19 more. No QB would have a chance.

And that Seattle playoff loss was him failing as a field goal holder. As a quarterback he got the job done- led the team downfield to get into position to win in the final minutes. It's that one flub that labeled him a choker the rest of his career when in reality he came through in the clutch as well as any QB ever has.

Okay, I'm done now.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Not to turn this into a "defend Romo" thread, but he was under siege in that Minnesota playoff loss. Sacked six times and knocked down 19 more. No QB would have a chance.

And that Seattle playoff loss was him failing as a field goal holder. As a quarterback he got the job done- led the team downfield to get into position to win in the final minutes. It's that one flub that labeled him a choker the rest of his career when in reality he came through in the clutch as well as any QB ever has.

Okay, I'm done now.
Haha.

We are never done.

Trying to split hairs over Romo the QB and Romo the holder..

Is like splitting hairs with Danny White.

Three NFC championship games in a row you lose..

but everybody agrees he is a great punter.

as a QB he struggled in big games.

You have to look at the whole player.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well, I feel the passing game would have to adjust to a different QB, and it's not to say that they couldn't surprise us, but I'm not betting the farm. Just not a desirable situation if Dak goes down.
Now, to play devil's advocate, how many of us wondered how Dak would do when Romo and Moore went down in 2016 preseason? :D

Valid points. It's always bad when your starter goes down. But a decent backup should at least keep things stable until your starter returns.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The offense and its success or failure will be determined by everyone on that side of the ball. The results during this season will have much to do with seeing who deserves their share of the credit. Individual contributions aren't truly the key to team success.

Nevertheless, I'd have to say Zeke has been the most successful, although Dak will be charged with being the leader of the passing attack -- an extremely and supremely crucial role, in and of itself. The team as a whole must contribute as best they can for success to follow.

Last edited:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
NO......not even Top Ten....;)

Okay, so if, God-forbid, Dak goes down. Which QB on our roster do you think can legitimately come in and win games for us? It's easy to bash a QB, as you exemplify. It's much harder to have a legitimate solution. If you think there's a problem, then what QB solves the problem?

Brax

Reaction score
If he's out, this team is dead in the water. There is nowhere else on the team where the dropoff is so great between starter and backup. Mike White showed little to nothing last year and Cooper Rush showed that he doesn't belong on an NFL roster. If Prescott goes down, this entire team goes down.
And if Cooper goes down, did you forget last year?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And if Cooper goes down, did you forget last year?

Not at all. But even then, the team managed what? 4 wins? Do you honestly think Mike White or Cooper Rush can lead a team to that?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay, so if, God-forbid, Dak goes down. Which QB on our roster do you think can legitimately come in and win games for us? It's easy to bash a QB, as you exemplify. It's much harder to have a legitimate solution. If you think there's a problem, then what QB solves the problem?

Any mid to low level QB can meet or supersede Dak's mediocre talents...I mean how hard is it to hand off to Zeke or throw 1-3 yards passes all game long......:omg:

P.S. Here's a nugget for you.....When Zeke has under 75 yards rushing we LOSE!!!!!

InTheZone

Reaction score
For the cowboys:
1. Oline
2. Zeke
3. Defense
4. Receivers
5. QB
6. TE
7. Kicker

Edit: added TE to the list

Brax

Reaction score
Not at all. But even then, the team managed what? 4 wins? Do you honestly think Mike White or Cooper Rush can lead a team to that?
I thought they were 3-5 until Cooper, so I look at Cooper and Zeke being more important . If Dak goes down I have no faith in Rush and little in White, but who thought Dak could win games in 2016. The decision was make Dak or bust this year. Don't want Dak to go down but if Cooper or Zeke are lost it would more devastating than Dak, a vet could be brought in if needed and hopefully one is the back up this year. Hopefully no one goes down, don't want to see 2015 ever again. Should be a interesting season and see what they do together this year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought they were 3-5 until Cooper, so I look at Cooper and Zeke being more important . If Dak goes down I have no faith in Rush and little in White, but who thought Dak could win games in 2016. The decision was make Dak or bust this year. Don't want Dak to go down but if Cooper or Zeke are lost it would more devastating than Dak, a vet could be brought in if needed and hopefully one is the back up this year. Hopefully no one goes down, don't want to see 2015 ever again. Should be a interesting season and see what they do together this year.

I don't know who the vet might be that you're referring to, but I know at this point I have no faith that Rush or White could get the job done behind Dak. Rush was lucky to stay on an NFL roster after his abysmal preseason showing last year, and White didn't look ready for the NFL either.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Any mid to low level QB can meet or supersede Dak's mediocre talents...I mean how hard is it to hand off to Zeke or throw 1-3 yards passes all game long......:omg:

P.S. Here's a nugget for you.....When Zeke has under 75 yards rushing we LOSE!!!!!

Zeke's talents are not the argument. Obviously, Zeke makes the team better. That's why we drafted him 4 overall. Dak, for a 4th rounder, has played at a level above and beyond expectations. Goff and Wentz were the QBs taken before our first pick. How many of the QBs from pick 4 overall till Dak are even on a team in the NFL, much less starting? Furthermore, which QBs have been better in the 4th? Sure, Dak's check downs are boring to some, but he does well finding the open man. Plus, he has shown that he can complete deep passes when needed. See Dak to Cooper on Thanksgiving.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't know who the vet might be that you're referring to, but I know at this point I have no faith that Rush or White could get the job done behind Dak. Rush was lucky to stay on an NFL roster after his abysmal preseason showing last year, and White didn't look ready for the NFL either.

And we were lucky to even GET Dak. Before him, we could have ended up with the following:

Paxton Lynch (Elway saved us here)
Christian Hackenberg (need an explanation?)
Connor Cook (terrible)

Those are the ones I can remember. Glad we have Dak over them.

Coy

Reaction score
He is the most important player because of the position he plays, just about every team would agree that the QB is their most mportant player.
Now, best player? that`s a whole differet question, I don`t know if he cracks the top 10.
Zeke, Frederick, Martin, Smith, Amari, LVE, Demarcus, Jaylon, B Jones and Lee (before his injury).