Video: GMFB-Peter Schrager worried that Dak signs a new deal or fireworks go off

doomsday9084

Reaction score
That is a simplistic view of why the Patriots have continued to win. Brady didn't leave money on the table on his first extension, he was one of the highest paid players in the league. The Pats continue to win, not because Brady takes less, but because they are very, very good as an organization at scouting and evaluating players that can fill a role and fit in their system, they traditionally don't pay premiums to retain players or sign FAs. They are also very good and active in trades and acquiring draft picks. They are also very good at adapting not just to other teams, but adapting to the players they have.

They release or trade players versus paying top dollar quite often, then they bring cheaper options that can fill the role. They probably wouldn't have resigned DLaw, especially when refusing to get surgery until a deal was done, when Solder wanted more money they let him walk, same with Trey Flowers, instead of resigning Cooks to a big contract, they traded him for a 1st rd pick.

If Dak signed for $25 instead of $30, that $5 million difference isn't going to be the the reason we can keep DLaw, Coop, Byron, Zeke, etc. One player's contract isn't going to make or break a team, it's all the other contracts and players combined. It only works if they all take less and that's not going to happen, especially when it's all these players first opportunity at signing for big money. Fans can talk about team, but it's a business and the player's are looking for security especially on that first big contract. Their careers and earning potential can end on one play, one injury and endorsements end with it. Fans may support that player in spirit, but they are not going to support him financially, they'll just move onto his replacement and start buying the new guy's jersey.

I agree that its a simplistic way to look at it as far as the Patriots. The NFL is the most even, parity driven league in sports. As such, small things really matter. Dominance over time at the level that the Patriots have had is difficult to achieve and accomplishing that required lots of things going well. Brady taking less is a part of that but certainly not the extent of it.

Personally, I wanted DLaw signed for less. I would like to see Amari signed to a value deal. Obviously, I want Dak signed to a smaller deal. You are right about the $5m but all of things will add up over time. The more people that get "market" contracts, the tougher it will be to build a great team. Particularly if one of them does not play up to that contract.

I'm not a player fan nor am I a management fan. I'm a Cowboys fan. I don't care how much Jerry makes nor do I care how much the players make. In order for the Cowboys to be the best possible, they want to give all of these players the least amount possible. The math is simple. I really don't want to see a 1 or 2 year run and see the team blow up. I would love to see the Cowboys have an extended run as a contender. In order to do that, being smart with the cap is critical (as is drafting, but that's another topic).

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Fair enough. Instead of posting anecdotes, let's count the number of 350 yard passing games in the past 3 years:
Dak 2
Brady 6
Brees 13
Goff 6
Wilson 4*
Mahomes 5 (in one year)

The game you note is an exception, not the rule. If Dak was regularly lighting things up like that this would be a completely different discussion. Anyone can have a hot game. Hell, look at Jason Garrett and his Thanksgiving day game.

I star Wilson for a reason. I think he is a great comparison for Dak. Seems like a great guy. Durable. Good leader. Not a "light up the scoreboard" QB though. Seattle won a title with him with a great team around him. As soon as money started being an issue though, Seattle couldn't keep that level of talent around him and they have noticeably fallen off. I don't want to see the same thing happen in Dallas. I want to see the Brady situation. I don't understand why that's controversial.

It's not that it's controversial, it's just not realistic. Players getting their first chance at a big deal is not willingly going to ask for less. Brady didn't leave money on the table either on his first deal. Brady can afford to do it, he's had a career and his earning power outside of football is firmly established even if he never played another down. It's not the same for a player only 3 years in, he has no legacy yet to depend on financially. If he has a career ending injury he hasn't established himself long enough to have the opportunities guys like Aikman and Romo eventually had.

Seattle didn't fall off because Wilson got paid, it's because everyone wanted to get paid. They had several guys playing on rookie and/or cheap deals that were expiring around the same time too. You have to be able to keep acquiring talent to keep the window open. Seattle had some clunker drafts since then, so has Green Bay and other teams who have fallen off. If you can't continue to draft well and acquire players from other means, teams will succumb to the natural turnover, guys leave for more money, get injured, retire etc.

The Cowboys method isn't sustainable, yes we have had good drafts, but by the time the picks start maturing, other rookie deals start expiring. You have to also be able to sign impactful FAs(don't have to be expensive, but they need to fill a role and produce), make good trades for useful players and/or more draft picks. We can't replace players fast enough by the draft alone, even as good as we've been we'd need to be better and hit bigger and on more players.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The team winning and losing isn't an individual accomplishment. Otherwise we would be talking about giving Jeff Heath 10's of millions of dollars. We judge players not by team results but by how they played. Dak hasn't played awful, but he hasn't played great. He has been a bargain though and that's allowed the team to put a lot of good players around him. When he isn't a bargain, they won't be able to do that.

Regardless, I don't personally care about how much Dak gets. Its not my money. The only issue is how it affects the Cowboys. As of now, if you add 30m to the 2020 cap, the Cowboys will have roughly 30m to sign draft picks, extend zeke, extend amari, extend jones, brown, and several other people I am forgetting. The team will have to blow itself up over the Dak deal. Why do it?
Jeff Heath has probably just barely made 10 million dollars in thw NFL. His etention was for less than i total