Video: GMFB Thinks Abram is Our Guy at 58

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Unless it’s part of bigger plan

Converting Elliott to safety? Running the option? Replacing Prescott with a back and running the Wildcat as our base? Trading Elliott to Philly for Carson Wentz? Getting Garrett fired?

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
I agree on the playmaker... but I don’t think they’re looking for a FS in this draft, although I could be wrong.

They want their Chancellor type guy.

Woods logged 700 snaps at free safety last year. He was making plays every single game down the stretch. When he started playing 98% of the snaps in the final 13 games, league scoring went up 1.5 points on average while Dallas points allowed actually went down .5.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Woods logged 700 snaps at free safety last year. He was making plays every single game down the stretch. When he started playing 98% of the snaps in the final 13 games, league scoring went up 1.5 points on average while Dallas points allowed actually went down .5.
Yeah, I’m a fan of Woods’ game.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Could be.

I think the Patriots or Philly would take him if he even fell to the picks right before us.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Right or wrong I think Dallas agrees with you and it's why they've brought in almost exclusively SS type players. They never talked with Savage, Thompson, Adderley, or Hooker who most consider to be more FS prospects. The Cowboys never seem to disguise what they're doing and all signs point to a Woods/Heath FS duo with IIoka/Rookie(Abram, Thornhill, Rapp,Gardner) playing the SS spot. I expect they'll also draft a big corner at some point that has some position flexibility.

The run game and short passing game is was this defenses weakness. We were pretty good against the big downfield play. With some upgrades on the DL and some talent at SS, I think this defense can step up big.

Beaker42

Reaction score
He apparently has been working out in the Dallas area and has been inquiring about school systems in the area for his young daughter...

Thoughts?

That’s the epitome of counting your chickens before they hatch. Lots can happen between 1 and 57 UNLESS he knows something we don’t.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could be.

I think the Patriots or Philly would take him if he even fell to the picks right before us.

Yep. Maybe we cough up a fourth to try to hop ahead of them if he falls. He won't fall, though.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I think he had dinner with Jerry. When NFL.com revised their rankings post combine he was the number one safety. I might give the compensatory pick if he fell to the late second round but otherwise let the picks come to us.
I honestly think there’s a good chance Dallas goes RB in the 3rd. Truly.

If Harris is there, I think they’ll pull the trigger unless someone unexpected is there.
this is not the draft for a RB for us - next year is.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Safety is a position that's known to have plenty of fine safeties available this year. It's said to be reasonably possible that one of them would be available at pick #58. Despite going for need not being the best way to get the most bang for your buck, the Cowboys have been said to have multiple opportunities to get an excellent one for their 2nd rounder. Be that as it may, perhaps we'll see about that?! ;)

Last edited:

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m pretty sure they’re wanting to replace Heath and not Woods. I think Dallas is pretty happy with Xavier and I’ve read that from local media as well.
Sadly, you're probably correct. Finding an upgrade to Heath at SS doesn't require a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th rd pick. That's my contention. If you're spending a 2nd rd pick, it better be for a legit FS prospect or a prototype SS (a Landon Collins-type...which I think Abram is). If they take a "versatile safety" like Rapp, I'll probably be an unhappy panda. I think he's overrated, doesn't pack the punch for a SS but also doesn't have the speed/range for a FS. He's got versatility, grit and instincts, but as an athlete at the NFL level, I see a Manti Te'o of safeties with that kid.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If the Cowboys are intent upon getting Abram, it wouldn't be surprising if a 2nd and 4th round pick became a part of that intent. I'm not necessarily in favor of that route, although, if he's their guy, it wouldn't be shocking if that is what might happen -- if they could swing it by moving up. Who knows??

Last edited:

sbark

Reaction score
We desperately need a free not a strong safety.

Woods sucks ins space. He can take over the strong part. At least he can tackle.

And i dont want to even get into that Heath conversation. This guy just needs another job. Walmart or something like this.
Wouldn't it shock people if we draft a box safety, and Heath moves back to free deep safety and x woods becomes backup safety and extra slot corner.....where he actually did very well 2 years ago

And Heath once again leads team in picks to top it off

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It actually might be worth it to me to give up the third and second both for a significant upgrade at Safety. If we could Demarcus Lawrence that position and add a DT and a RB in the fourth....? I think I’d be ok.

Techsass

Reaction score
The radio was saying Gil Brandt thinks this draft is loaded with safeties. He also thinks that there's only about 17 true 1st rounders. After that there isn't a big difference talent-wise in the next 50 picks. That means folks are going to be rising & falling all over the draft.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Sadly, you're probably correct. Finding an upgrade to Heath at SS doesn't require a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th rd pick. That's my contention. If you're spending a 2nd rd pick, it better be for a legit FS prospect or a prototype SS (a Landon Collins-type...which I think Abram is). If they take a "versatile safety" like Rapp, I'll probably be an unhappy panda. I think he's overrated, doesn't pack the punch for a SS but also doesn't have the speed/range for a FS. He's got versatility, grit and instincts, but as an athlete at the NFL level, I see a Manti Te'o of safeties with that kid.
I love really good safety play and I feel like a very good SS who is smart, takes good angles (something Dallas has lacked for years) and is a really good tackler can very much help the Dallas defense. I think Abram could do everything you’d want out of a SS and would make a big difference in the defense.

Abram’s alpha dog mentality and his excitement out on the field is contagious to the rest of the defense, and frankly, is something the Dallas defense could use more of. I love him for Dallas.

I would like an elite, playmaking FS but Dallas isn’t getting someone like that in this draft... particularly without a first round pick.

As for Rapp... I probably like him more than most. He’s one of the better tacklers you’ll ever see at Safety and while his 40 time is pedestrian, his 3-cone was the fastest of all safety prospects at the combine and his shuttle time was the third fastest. He’s got athleticism. It’s just his long speed that isn’t good.

His movement skills are really good and you combine that with his superior instincts and feel for the position, and it is easy to see why he looked so good playing the game at Washington. The guy is just a football player, and a really smart, tough one at that.

Having said all of that, it does concern me some that he timed in the 4.7’s in the 40.

If he ends up in Dallas, I’d be fine with it... but I like Abram better and really would like for him to be the pick.

Last edited: