Goodell a great Commish for the times

Pape

Reaction score
This thread has been an ... Interesting ... Read...

There are a few things that have been left out or omitted... Roger Goodell as commissioner has done one thing well... One thing... And for that, the owners continue to support him... That's grow the revenues of the league... Television rights, merchandising, streaming, public monies for stadiums, etc... all have made the nfl and the players a lot of money since 2006...

The way the nfl dealt with the pandemic was situationally ok... Nothing great, nothing bad... In some instances there should have been alterations to the schedule, an extra off week built in to deal with problematic scenarios, the browns losing their coaching staff for example, but the season was pushed forward regardless of the impact it had on the integrity of the game...

The NFL under Goodell has wiffed a few times though, and those decisions could impact the future of the league... The NFL has lost at least 1 (that I can recall off hand) anti trust lawsuit that could impact how merchandising is handled... They have basically lost the ability to cap the damage pool for head injuries, and they relinquished the tax exempt status of the league in order to limit the exposure of financial information... Two of these three things may lead to financial issues in the future, regarding income itemization discrepancies in dealing with merchandising contracts and in future negotiations with the nfl pa...

The way the league has handled the social reforms has given them 2 black eyes... One from each side of the sj issues... Personal politics play into it, so I will forego addressing this in further detail unless via pms

My personal opinion of Goodell is not favorable. I believe he listens to a few select people regarding the topic of punishments... The Patriots have been rail roaded three times by the league office... The punishments have been draconian and have out done of any prior examples... Deflate gate is the prime example of the league going after the Patriots regardless of the facts in order to appease some owners who were jealous of their successes... Those that claim he is just doing what the owners want, that's bs... He should have looked at it objectively and based any decision on that... That's what makes him a poor commissioner... He's bud selig

Ghost12

Reaction score
The leagues all made the right decision. The events that unfolded sparked the public perception for most.

It’s just another great example of Goodell’s leadership.
I can't say I know why your nose is so far up Goodell's ***, but he is little more than an idiot and a tool of ownership that has capitalized on the greatness of those who came before him, specifically Pete Rozelle, a guy who was the best Commissioner in the history of North American pro sports.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I can't say I know why your nose is so far up Goodell's ***, but he is little more than an idiot and a tool of ownership that has capitalized on the greatness of those who came before him, specifically Pete Rozelle, a guy who was the best Commissioner in the history of North American pro sports.
You’re certainly entitled to your opinions . Goodell’s force with players suspensions I’ve been very supportive of. I think he’s handled those well. These problem players must be put in their place. Personally I’d just release them like Landry used to do.

And of course his representation of the owners in the CTE litigation probably saved the league. Although that battle isn’t over. And his public support of the players stance on social injustice issue last year.

This years handling of the season was a punctuation on his tenure. I sincerely believe history is going to be favorable on his career despite some angry fans only concerned about their players or team.

We must always place the sum of the league above our own personal self interest. It’s something many fans don’t have the ability nor interested in doing. We have some owners who get too full of the themselves as well. And Roger has been a firm voice.

I think history is going to rank him up there with Rozelle as one of the greatest NFL commissioners. Pete was an Icon but he didn’t have the issues Roger has. In the end the growth of revenue and sovereignty of the league is the ultimate measurement since the league is after all a business first. His actions have always placed the image of the league a priority which ultimately correlates to the revenue.

And I take great pride being an advocate for him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This thread has been an ... Interesting ... Read...

There are a few things that have been left out or omitted... Roger Goodell as commissioner has done one thing well... One thing... And for that, the owners continue to support him... That's grow the revenues of the league... Television rights, merchandising, streaming, public monies for stadiums, etc... all have made the nfl and the players a lot of money since 2006...

The way the nfl dealt with the pandemic was situationally ok... Nothing great, nothing bad... In some instances there should have been alterations to the schedule, an extra off week built in to deal with problematic scenarios, the browns losing their coaching staff for example, but the season was pushed forward regardless of the impact it had on the integrity of the game...

The NFL under Goodell has wiffed a few times though, and those decisions could impact the future of the league... The NFL has lost at least 1 (that I can recall off hand) anti trust lawsuit that could impact how merchandising is handled... They have basically lost the ability to cap the damage pool for head injuries, and they relinquished the tax exempt status of the league in order to limit the exposure of financial information... Two of these three things may lead to financial issues in the future, regarding income itemization discrepancies in dealing with merchandising contracts and in future negotiations with the nfl pa...

The way the league has handled the social reforms has given them 2 black eyes... One from each side of the sj issues... Personal politics play into it, so I will forego addressing this in further detail unless via pms

My personal opinion of Goodell is not favorable. I believe he listens to a few select people regarding the topic of punishments... The Patriots have been rail roaded three times by the league office... The punishments have been draconian and have out done of any prior examples... Deflate gate is the prime example of the league going after the Patriots regardless of the facts in order to appease some owners who were jealous of their successes... Those that claim he is just doing what the owners want, that's bs... He should have looked at it objectively and based any decision on that... That's what makes him a poor commissioner... He's bud selig
You present some valid points.

But if fans can’t appreciate what the bottomline is then they’ll never appreciate Goodell. The majority of owners do of course and why they’ve rewarded him handsomely.

And I believe history is going to be favorable on his tenure. We shall see . But it’s why I’m advocating him. He deserves the accolades he’s finally receiving.

Pape

Reaction score
You’re certainly entitled to your opinions . Goodell’s force with players suspensions I’ve been very supportive of. I think he’s handled those well. These problem players must be put in their place. Personally I’d just release them like Landry used to do.

And of course his representation of the owners in the CTE litigation probably saved the league. Although that battle isn’t over. And his public support of the players stance on social injustice issue last year.

This years handling of the season was a punctuation on his tenure. I sincerely believe history is going to be favorable on his career despite some angry fans only concerned about their players or team.

We must always place the sum of the league above our own personal self interest. It’s something many fans don’t have the ability nor interested in doing. We have some owners who get too full of the themselves as well. And Roger has been a firm voice.

I think history is going to rank him up there with Rozelle as one of the greatest NFL commissioners. Pete was an Icon but he didn’t have the issues Roger has. In the end the growth of revenue and sovereignty of the league is the ultimate measurement since the league is after all a business first. His actions have always placed the image of the league a priority which ultimately correlates to the revenue.

And I take great pride being an advocate for him.

Im not sure you actually have followed any of the topics you are opining on here. You do realize that in regards to the CTE litigation the judge has firmly ruled in favor of the players, removing the cap from the settlement because it was found to be inadequate to meet the needs of the players impacted by CTE etc... So that which you are chalking up as a win is anything but... Please, read up on it because the issue has moved past the prior resolution and is ongoing...

The handling of the season was fine... nothing more or less than what any other group did or didn't do vis a vis the pervue of their authority... The NFL was in a better position than most spring leagues because they got to see what worked and what didn't... so I disagree that one can consider it a "crowing achievement"

As for history, just remember that history written is not always history remembered... History has much more nuance than simply writing words down on a piece of paper for posterity... What may considered a definitive viewpoint today or next year may not be the whole truth... The fact that you stated that you want to be on the "right side" of history indicates that you haven't the ability to view things in a proper historical context... We see examples of this every day in the modern age as historical eras and the major forces within are re-examined... It happens more and more the further away we get from said eras...

I admit it, I am biased and thoat absoltely does color my judgement of the way the league has been run over the past 15 years... I believe that Goodell has played the villains role to the detriment of not only the team I root for, but for the league as a whole...

Pape

Reaction score
You present some valid points.

But if fans can’t appreciate what the bottomline is then they’ll never appreciate Goodell. The majority of owners do of course and why they’ve rewarded him handsomely.

And I believe history is going to be favorable on his tenure. We shall see . But it’s why I’m advocating him. He deserves the accolades he’s finally receiving.

The Fans don't have to appreciate Goodell. Its not their job to do so. The fans job is to consume the product. As pointed out multiple times, fans have walked away from the league for a variety of reasons.

As for the owners, they are motivated by greed. Doesn't mean that their willingness to support Goodell because he is putting more dollars into their pockets is the correct decision. Goodell is paid a pittance in comparison to what a CEO of a fortune 500 company is really worth.

History written today, tomorrow or even in the next decade is always subject to reinterpretation... The role of a commissioner has evolved over the past decades, mutating from a powerful position where they literally ran the sport they were in charge of into to modern day version, which is more akin to the owners lapdog than a personage leading the sport into the future...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Im not sure you actually have followed any of the topics you are opining on here. You do realize that in regards to the CTE litigation the judge has firmly ruled in favor of the players, removing the cap from the settlement because it was found to be inadequate to meet the needs of the players impacted by CTE etc... So that which you are chalking up as a win is anything but... Please, read up on it because the issue has moved past the prior resolution and is ongoing...

The handling of the season was fine... nothing more or less than what any other group did or didn't do vis a vis the pervue of their authority... The NFL was in a better position than most spring leagues because they got to see what worked and what didn't... so I disagree that one can consider it a "crowing achievement"

As for history, just remember that history written is not always history remembered... History has much more nuance than simply writing words down on a piece of paper for posterity... What may considered a definitive viewpoint today or next year may not be the whole truth... The fact that you stated that you want to be on the "right side" of history indicates that you haven't the ability to view things in a proper historical context... We see examples of this every day in the modern age as historical eras and the major forces within are re-examined... It happens more and more the further away we get from said eras...

I admit it, I am biased and thoat absoltely does color my judgement of the way the league has been run over the past 15 years... I believe that Goodell has played the villains role to the detriment of not only the team I root for, but for the league as a whole...
I appreciate your honesty . I think it reflects many fans who are angry with him. Not everyone has the ability to look past the trees to the forest.

And I realize the CTC conflict is far from over but the changes we’ve seen in rule changes is another factor I’m in favor of which some fans are against.

And I also view many of the issues in modern era on what I believe is the right side of history. I believed in the 60’s and 70’s as a string activist and feel even stronger today with the issues of the day. We are on the right side of history .

But it’s a fair point to wait and see if Roger will be. After doubling the leagues revenue during his tenure thus far and the issues I’ve addressed I believe some credit deserved for steering us thru it’s my believe history will be more favorable than not and why I’m endorsing him. But the jury is still out although I enjoy being out in front much like I was back in the day. My instincts have always served me well.

Pape

Reaction score
We are on the right side of history .
This is a logical fallacy, though.

There is no right or wrong side of history.

Your own personal biases form the "right and wrong" side of the historical perspective. The biases of the author fashion the historical perspective. All are mutable as we gain a greater perspective of the events that unfolded.

If there are emails or letters from the league office (primary sources) that come to light that Goodell sent directives to teams that the come hell or high water, the health and safety of the players and employees be damned, we are playing football, then how will the moves the NFL/Herr Goodell made be received? And to be fair, the opposite scenario is true as well, if the league demonstrated careful and calculated considerations of the health and safety of players and personnel it would be viewed in a laudatory light...

with that said, not going to tit for tat about Goodell anymore...

my own opinion of the man is low... I think he has been put into place because he is willing to kowtow to the owners to drive a self perpetuating economic engine, all the while harboring biases and pettiness, making decisions based on personal vendettas and which ever way the powers that be are pushing him...

I don't see him as a leader, which above all else, a commissioner should be in a perfect world... That's why I disagree with your assessment of Roger Goodell.

eot/out

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Fans don't have to appreciate Goodell. Its not their job to do so. The fans job is to consume the product. As pointed out multiple times, fans have walked away from the league for a variety of reasons.

As for the owners, they are motivated by greed. Doesn't mean that their willingness to support Goodell because he is putting more dollars into their pockets is the correct decision. Goodell is paid a pittance in comparison to what a CEO of a fortune 500 company is really worth.

History written today, tomorrow or even in the next decade is always subject to reinterpretation... The role of a commissioner has evolved over the past decades, mutating from a powerful position where they literally ran the sport they were in charge of into to modern day version, which is more akin to the owners lapdog than a personage leading the sport into the future...
The Commish has always worked in the interest of the owners . I just think the perception has changed for some fans. Everything is more polarized now.

Fans probably forget how Rozelle ran off arguably the greatest talent of that era , Jim Brown, in a very controversial confrontation. But in that era it wasn’t as publicized .

Pete and Tex worked closely together and while Pete received much of the credit he was in fact working in the owners interest.

If it wasn’t for the suspensions he’s had to place on popular players more fans wouldn’t be as angry with him. But someone has to be the buffer and or hatchet man for the owners and the league in order to maintain their image to protect their investments.

And I believe Goodell has handled it about as well as could be expected. To the point he even embraces the boos spinning that into a positive . Remarkable!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is a logical fallacy, though.

There is no right or wrong side of history.

Your own personal biases form the "right and wrong" side of the historical perspective. The biases of the author fashion the historical perspective. All are mutable as we gain a greater perspective of the events that unfolded.

If there are emails or letters from the league office (primary sources) that come to light that Goodell sent directives to teams that the come hell or high water, the health and safety of the players and employees be damned, we are playing football, then how will the moves the NFL/Herr Goodell made be received? And to be fair, the opposite scenario is true as well, if the league demonstrated careful and calculated considerations of the health and safety of players and personnel it would be viewed in a laudatory light...

with that said, not going to tit for tat about Goodell anymore...

my own opinion of the man is low... I think he has been put into place because he is willing to kowtow to the owners to drive a self perpetuating economic engine, all the while harboring biases and pettiness, making decisions based on personal vendettas and which ever way the powers that be are pushing him...

I don't see him as a leader, which above all else, a commissioner should be in a perfect world... That's why I disagree with your assessment of Roger Goodell.

eot/out
There is a right side of history. If you’re on the right side you’d know. I enjoyed being on the right side early in my life as an activist in the 60’s and 70’s. And have been on several issues since. But I’ll admit the term can be used loosely.

Goodell is one I expect to be as well. The issues he’s been supportive of we are already seeing he’s on the right side of history. His personal tenure jury is still out of course but one day I expect him to be in the HOF for his contributions which will validate his career.

And I’d like to thank you for your contributions to this thread. Finally some well thought out responses on the issues at hand.

Ghost12

Reaction score
You’re certainly entitled to your opinions . Goodell’s force with players suspensions I’ve been very supportive of. I think he’s handled those well.
Yeah he did a great job with the Ray Rice situation.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
And of course his representation of the owners in the CTE litigation probably saved the league.
Whuh huh? The League hired a lawyer to argue that case and that lawyer was certainly not named "Roger Goodell". (Actually it was an entire crew of lawyers, but the point stands)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah he did a great job with the Ray Rice situation.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Whuh huh? The League hired a lawyer to argue that case and that lawyer was certainly not named "Roger Goodell". (Actually it was an entire crew of lawyers, but the point stands)
No doubt. They all dropped the ball on Rices situation which in turn influenced the reaction to other players violations. They couldn’t turn a deaf ear again and then a video come out.

Haimerej

Reaction score
I think your smarter than that. I mentioned the social injustice issue . That’s enough . If not then we will have to end it here.

But I suspect you don’t want to state your stance on the issue because then it labels you.

I'm still waiting for you to define social injustice. I'm familiar with justice. Is social justice different?

Haimerej

Reaction score
The leagues all made the right decision. The events that unfolded sparked the public perception for most.

It’s just another great example of Goodell’s leadership.

Yet again, Goodell was reactionary.

Here's an idea- post an issue showing Goodell was out in front. What has he done that was purely his idea and no media storm provoked him to act? That's what leaders do.

Haimerej

Reaction score

Why didn't he do anything about OBJ?

And of course his representation of the owners in the CTE litigation probably saved the league.

How? What did he do that saved the league?

His actions have always placed the image of the league a priority which ultimately correlates to the revenue.

The image of the NFL isn't what correlates to revenue. Fans correlate to revenue. If fans keep leaving, revenue will drop because sponsors won't be in bidding wars for airtime.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why didn't he do anything about OBJ?

How? What did he do that saved the league?

The image of the NFL isn't what correlates to revenue. Fans correlate to revenue. If fans keep leaving, revenue will drop because sponsors won't be in bidding wars for airtime.

TV viewership is a declining business overall. They will look for or attempt to create new revenue streams. But if it does dwindle it’s not likely to decrease to levels in 2006 which has doubled since then. Increasing the amount of games played is likely to help offset the decrease in viewership.

Thinning out some fans because of public stances the league takes could eventually attract other fringe fans simply for those causes. But measuring the revenue success merely on TV viewership appears using one fact to spin an agenda much like we might use a stat to spin an opinion on a player.

Fans who are in opposition to the players and leagues stance on social injustice are rooting for the league to be financially impacted enough that they’ll go back in time. But I don’t believe that’s likely. Public opinion isn’t going to accept the prejudice perception any longer.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yet again, Goodell was reactionary.

Here's an idea- post an issue showing Goodell was out in front. What has he done that was purely his idea and no media storm provoked him to act? That's what leaders do.
Of course he and the league was reactionary. Initially he and the league didn’t react properly to the Rice situation nor the social injustice. The important point is they eventually moved in the right direction despite the push back from the more misguided and misinformed opposition.

I don’t believe I’ve stated any of his actions were his idea or he was a great leader. He’s basically peddling the owners message. I even said he was like a buffer for the mob( owners). He’s basically a moderator for the owners. He’s not taking any of these issues on himself. He’s representing the owners. If you hate Goodell then you hate the owners. And that’s fine but be clear what your stance is.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for you to define social injustice. I'm familiar with justice. Is social justice different?
Look it up. You need to know what exactly the issue is. Google will define it much better than I can. Some of the verbiage and description wouldn’t be allowed in this forum.

Last edited:

Haimerej

Reaction score
I look for the league to generate revenue from other sources. The Cowboys for example increased their revenue in 2019 with a decreased tv viewing audience.

TV viewership is a declining business overall. They will look for or attempt to create new revenue streams. But if it does dwindle it’s not likely to decrease to levels in 2006 which has doubled since then. Increasing the amount of games played is likely to help offset the decrease in viewership.

Thinning out some fans because of public stances the league takes could eventually attract other fringe fans simply for those causes. But measuring the revenue success merely on TV viewership appears using one fact to spin an agenda much like we might use a stat to spin an opinion on a player.

Fans who are in opposition to the players and leagues stance on social injustice are rooting for the league to be financially impacted enough that they’ll go back in time. But I don’t believe that’s likely. Public opinion isn’t going to accept the prejudice perception any longer.

Sigh...

The only spinning here is your continued use of, "TV viewership." Again, they're including ALL platforms in that 91 million number for the Super Bowl. They even added in out of home viewers (e.g. people in sports bars) to get to that total, which is something they've not done in the past.

It's also funny that you tout Goodell’s efforts to combat CTE while ignoring the NFL putting players at more risk via Thursday night games, quick turnarounds, and now adding another game to the schedule simply because they want more money.

Maybe if he wasn't alienating a significant portion of his fanbase they wouldn't have to take these measures.