Grade the Starting Defense

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
D to and F with once in a great while a B or C. Very few games an A, but all teams have them once in a while.

But for years this Defense has been a solid D.
As long as Marinelli is here or any coach that runs his out dated system, it will still be a D.

But as fat as this year goes, F is the grade.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Team’s still shy away from throwing his way. Which means he’s still performing pretty well.

If my memory serves right M. Thomas only caught 1pass on Jones and that was on a crossing route with traffic. Even in the Commanders game T.McLaurin caught a lot of his passes on Cheeto.

That does not mean that Jones is a great player. When a QB goes at Jones, he is just as vulnerable as Chido.

CoachD

Reaction score
Prediction Time;

After two pretty bad losses the Cowboys and Jason Garrett find themselves (believe it or not) in a MUST win game this week against the Jets. The Cowboys defense looked absolutely awful last week against the Packers and their no name running back just embarrassed them. So what do the Cowboys need to do to get to 4-2, well how about this, run Zeke the freak! It's time the Cowboys got back to fundamentals and running the ball is a really good start. Now defensively it's really simple, TACKLE but it won't be easy because Leveon Bell is one of the best backs in the league. The good thing about the Jets is they're not very good but will still give the Cowboys all they can handle but so far the Cowboys have been able to beat the teams they're suppose to beat so I'll take the Cowboys in yet another struggle.

Cowboys 27
Jets 23

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Prediction Time;

After two pretty bad losses the Cowboys and Jason Garrett find themselves (believe it or not) in a MUST win game this week against the Jets. The Cowboys defense looked absolutely awful last week against the Packers and their no name running back just embarrassed them. So what do the Cowboys need to do to get to 4-2, well how about this, run Zeke the freak! It's time the Cowboys got back to fundamentals and running the ball is a really good start. Now defensively it's really simple, TACKLE but it won't be easy because Leveon Bell is one of the best backs in the league. The good thing about the Jets is they're not very good but will still give the Cowboys all they can handle but so far the Cowboys have been able to beat the teams they're suppose to beat so I'll take the Cowboys in yet another struggle.

Cowboys 27
Jets 23
Bell is averaging 2.9 ypc. I don't think their Oline is doing him any favors, nor has their QB play been helping. Darnold avg 4.3 ypa in his only game and Luke Falk has avg 5.7 ypa in his 4 starts. Their OL has also allowed 23 sacks in 4 games. I think this game helps the defense regain some confidence. Dallas 31 NYJ 14

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
This seems like a redundant exercise. We've all seen how bad this defense has performed. It's obviously not acceptable how they've been gashed by pedestrian RBs. The sacks are not coming at the rate we expected. Our DBs are underperforming as well. Assigning grades to it is just an agenda-driven petty thing for those who want to call out specific players. It's a team sport so I give the defense as a unit a "U" for unacceptable but I'm not into the pointing fingers because you just don't like a certain player.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Grade them- good, average or bad

tank- average
Quinn- average
Collins- bad
Woods- incomplete
LVE- bad
Jaylon- bad
Chido- average
Woods- average
Heath- woods
Jones- average
Brown- bad

I think the scheme Marinelli is playing has a lot to do with the D struggles.

The 4-2-5 Off man cover, Bend But Don't Break, isn't an attacking scheme.

Its designed to give up yards, a lot of yards, but dont give up TDs. Force teams to kick Field Goals.

We've had bad defenses for years now.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
D....as in doodie...no,INC. They can’t get takeaways,poor tackling,missed assignments,etc,etc. A flat tire who didn’t show up for class to take the exam. Thus...INC is my grade.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Overall: 6. On a scale of 1-10. Slightly above average.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A = Great ; B = Good ; C = Passable ; D = Average/Replaceable ; F = Cut ASAP

Tank - C
Quinn - B
Collins - B
Woods - C
LVE - C
Jaylon - C
Lee - B
Chido - B
Woods - B
Heath - F
Jones - A
Brown - C

The Secondary has been pretty good(Except Heath), the packers didn’t have a WR or TE go over 50yards, Jimmy Graham only had 41. Below him the next highest is 21yards.

Even in the Saints game M.Thomas has 95yards but that was mostly Scheme related or backShoulder amazing pass(Impossible to defend). Everyone else 30yards or below.

Uh no. The op-ed made clear the grading rules. You can't just implement your own willy nilly.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
I don’t know how this unit grades above a C and that is being generous. Sure there are arguments to be made for allowing only 12 pts to New Orleans and so forth. But inconsistent tackling, poor penalties, lack of turnovers (to at least offset some of the boneheaded ones our offense makes), erratic qb pressure, horrible run defense and a regression at LB has this defense either way under achieving. Or average is the ceiling for this group.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
7th in points allowed. Yes a bad week last week, and yes we haven't exactly played the greatest offenses in the world. However it isn't like were last in the league in defense.

I thought we started blitzing Rodgers a little to late last week. He had his top wr out. Yes i know he can make you pay, but when we blitzed i feel it was working. You have to trust your corners can cover the likes of valdez scantling, allison and jimmy graham.

That is where i think we messed up last week.

too much BBDB defense.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Maybe it is me, but when I watch the Patriots play their DB's are stuck all over the WR's and every single pass is a contested, difficult to catch, ball has to be perfectly thrown to complete, endeavor, and I PREFER that. Maybe I am alone who knows? But, I cannot stand how our DB's play. Hardly ever contests the pass, bad passes, poorly thrown balls, all are welcome because the WR can and usually catches them. I prefer attacking, pressing, in your face all over you style. If you beat that then you deserve it. This panzy lay off, soft zone Bull Stink is tiring.

BBDB defense is boring to watch.

CoachD

Reaction score
Bell is averaging 2.9 ypc. I don't think their Oline is doing him any favors, nor has their QB play been helping. Darnold avg 4.3 ypa in his only game and Luke Falk has avg 5.7 ypa in his 4 starts. Their OL has also allowed 23 sacks in 4 games. I think this game helps the defense regain some confidence. Dallas 31 NYJ 14

All of this may be true but the Cowboys do a great job at making bad quarterbacks look good plus they cant stop ANYONE on the ground! not only that they certainly dont know how to create turnovers and dont do a very good job at getting to the quarterback and that's why I think it will be close!

blueblood70

Reaction score
INCOMPLETE TBD....

pass or fail is done at the end of the year...16 cumulative RS stats etc the post season is new yr technically as different stats are kept..

I wish we played every 3 days so there wasn't so much time to have 75 posts blaming 75 different people that get argued over +over + over for 7 days...ughh

if you read these posts not knowing our record you'd think we were the Browns of what 4-45 over 3 yr type team, and 0-5 this yr..jeez

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don’t even want to be bothered by individually ranking the players of this C- defense being schemed by F+ defensive coaches..

Over-rated and over-entitled garbage.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Against losing teams: C

Against winning teams: F

Number1

Reaction score
Grade them- good, average or bad

tank- average
Quinn- average
Collins- bad

Woods- incomplete
LVE- bad
Jaylon- bad

Chido- average
Woods- average
Heath- woods
Jones- average
Brown- bad

about half of them have PB talent, performance has been average across the board,

and that's the problem - they aren't consistent and only make big plays once in a while

worse, not a real fanatic in the bunch