Graziano: Tony Romo 15th in Jaws' QB countdown

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score
You should seriously consider proof reading what you're saying before posting, but you're about to get laughed at. HAHA.
Those people you just named, have won a million playoff games, and Brady has gone back to the Super Bowl multiple teams, WITH , and average team around him. Tell me again what Romo's done?

Talk about missing the point. Maybe you should re-read it. The people I named played for TEAMS that won a million playoff games. They won them because various parts of the TEAM were excellent when it mattered the most, not just the QB. Besides, the playoff games are irrelevant. He could win a hundred of them and still be labelled a choker until he won a SB. And at this point it doesn't even matter any more. He could win it this season and it will be the defence that gets the credit. The more ardent of media and fans will not just suddenly backtrack after years of criticism. They will simply find another reason to explain his success. At this stage he is in a no-win situation.

Personally, I dont think he ever will win one. But it wont be down to his failings alone.

Gemini Dolly

Reaction score
Its alright, guys. Tony is Top 5 in looks.
clear.png

DanteEXT

Reaction score
I think simply put he should not have throw that ball. T

But one thing, you are right. That wasn't into a crowd. It was a floater to a RB and the defender stepped in front. So Romo short arms the pass when the guy was covered - instead of poutting the ball to the only spot where the defender could not undercut the receiver - which is the sidelines to the receivers left shoulder. It can go out of bounds or the receiver have the only play on it. He had a defender in the back field, but he threw a ball on 2nd and 6 and under threw it. So that wasn't Tony's fault at all.

The receiver hadn't looked back and the defender watched the ball into his hands. Romo had a clear vision of the defender before he tossed the ball because the rush was still a yard or more in front of him.

It was Tony's mistake.

I do not know how this constitutes "clear vision". Nor "receiver hadn't looked back".

IMAG0457.jpg

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
15th is about right for last season. Between int's and fumbles Romo averaged over 1.5 miscues per game, as we all know, that will cost you games. A good QB will average about 1 per game.

We can all scream "it's a team game," but QB's can greatly effect play of others, it's that silly little thing called MOMENTUM. A great QB lifts his team, ala Aikman, Staubach, a bad QB will kill you. Last year Tony was middle, at times he raised the team, many times he sucked the wind right out of our sails.

It has to improve this year.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I do not know how this constitutes "clear vision". Nor "receiver hadn't looked back".

IMAG0457.jpg

How convenient you put this shot up since Murray was near the sidelines when the ball arrived and his head was not looking back at Romo.

But more importantly, are you telling me Romo cannot see the linebacker in this play? Really?

DanteEXT

Reaction score
How convenient you put this shot up since Murray was near the sidelines when the ball arrived and his head was not looking back at Romo.

But more importantly, are you telling me Romo cannot see the linebacker in this play? Really?

I'm saying the LOS is obscured slightly by Tyron as Romo is preparing to throw.

And I've watched the play multiple times. And from the pic I posted you can tell Murrays head was turned towards Romo. And it was the whole time.

DanteEXT

Reaction score

Here you go, I even added some identifying marks to help you out a bit. It's not the best quality pic, but it will do.

I circled the ball for you. And added an arrow to point out we are looking at the back of Murrays helmet. The other arrow points out how Murray is turning his body slightly along with position is hands in order to attempt to receive the pass.

Untitled-1.jpg

Lazarus_Logan

Reaction score
The numbers don't lie and the numbers clearly suggest that Romo's been a top-tier QB on a mediocre team. Disagree and join the idiotic masses if you must. You'll have plenty of mouth-breathing company.

Take a look at the coaching of those teams.

Lazarus_Logan

Reaction score
I will say it is hard defending those INT's in the last game of the season against Washington...

Romo was blitzed repeatedly right up the middle in that game. Fletcher had free reign, and Haslett just kept calling his number. Garrett did absolutely nothing to protect Romo. No screen passes to Murray, no slant passes to Austin from the slot. Those two things would have made the Commanders pay dearly for the blitzing, and less likely for Romo to throw INTs. Romo was rushing his passes more than usual as a result. I put that loss more on Garrett than Romo.

Lazarus_Logan

Reaction score
You can't win it all with a mediocre team and football's the ultimate team sport. Remember when Peyton Manning was a choker? How about LeBron James? Remember the perception of Tim Tebow back in 2011?

This team is not mediocre. This team is one of the more talented teams in the league. In fact, talent-wise, I would say this team is top 10. Coaching-wise, bottom 10, and as a result you get smack-dab in the middle with an 8-8 record.

You tell me. You have Romo, Bryant, Austin, Witten, and Murray (THESE GUYS ARE NOT MEDIOCRE), and yet the offense is only able to generate more than 10 points in the FIRST HALF in just TWO GAMES, all last year. 10 POINTS MAX in just the first half save two games. GARRETT IS THE FREAKING PROBLEM. I've seen too many coaches do far MORE with LESS.

Yes I know the OL sucks, but a good coach would be able to playcall and/or design a system that would be able to overcome that.

Coaching makes all the difference.

Nav22

Reaction score
This team is not mediocre. This team is one of the more talented teams in the league. In fact, talent-wise, I would say this team is top 10. Coaching-wise, bottom 10, and as a result you get smack-dab in the middle with an 8-8 record.

You tell me. You have Romo, Bryant, Austin, Witten, and Murray (THESE GUYS ARE NOT MEDIOCRE), and yet the offense is only able to generate more than 10 points in the FIRST HALF in just TWO GAMES, all last year. 10 POINTS MAX in just the first half save two games. GARRETT IS THE FREAKING PROBLEM. I've seen too many coaches do far MORE with LESS.

Yes I know the OL sucks, but a good coach would be able to playcall and/or design a system that would be able to overcome that.

Coaching makes all the difference.

Terrible defense, terrible offensive line. You can't be better than mediocre with those 2 ingredients.

Lazarus_Logan

Reaction score
Terrible defense, terrible offensive line. You can't be better than mediocre with those 2 ingredients.

Sorry. But a defense with Ware, Spencer, Ratliff, Lee, Carter, Carr, and Claiborne is not terrible. Injuries played a part in the play of the defense, but also the chief culprit was Fat Rob. And once agian, a good HC, would be able to overcome that. Ray Lewis himself stated that Garrett's offense was one of the simplest offenses in the league. But you might have a point. You have a so-called genius in Garrett, who runs the most simplisitc and predictable offense in the league, and then a fat idiot in Ryan who ran one of the more complex defenses in the league that the players never fully picked up because he was often absent from meetings... yeah, you can get 8-8 out of that.

Lazarus_Logan

Reaction score
Romo has to eat the last play. Did it lose the game? Maybe. It sure didn't win it or make things better. The failure of the offense last year was not scoring in the RZ. The major failure on the team last year was the defense. Look at all the injuries for that one. It had problems in the RZ but elsewhere as well. You could point to several plays in every loss last year as being pivotal. But Romo can't escape that play. That one was on him. I'm not that hung up on ranking although it's fun to do as long as you don't take it too seriously. Romo is in the top ten in the league. But you cannot totally ignore pivotal plays by the QB who handles the ball on almost every play on offense.

Has anyone considered that it shouldn't have even had to come down to that last play or even last game? A better HC, would of had the Cowboys in a much better position to win.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Has anyone considered that it shouldn't have even had to come down to that last play.

You are exactly right, if Romo would have protected the ball better it wouldn't have had to come down to that last play.. You do realize he threw 2 interceptions(that were his fault) before the 3rd one right? You also realize that Romo played excellent football in the previous 2 games with ZERO interceptions but then choked against Washington with the division and the playoffs on the line. As beat up as our defense was against Washington they still managed to keep us in the game and only down 3 despite the offense turning the ball over multiple times. Imagine if our offense actually put points on the board instead of turning the ball over on those drives. That is back breaking for a defense.

Last edited:

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Here you go, I even added some identifying marks to help you out a bit. It's not the best quality pic, but it will do.

I circled the ball for you. And added an arrow to point out we are looking at the back of Murrays helmet. The other arrow points out how Murray is turning his body slightly along with position is hands in order to attempt to receive the pass.

Untitled-1.jpg

I had not seen this since it happened. I tend to not watch these things over and over and pull off the scab.

But in your mind, does this absolve Romo for short arming that pass? For throwing it to begin with?

It was 1st and 10 and he could have lobbed this into the Commanders bench. This play is why Jaws put him at 15. Because that was a mistake a younger player makes.

And if he is this elite quarterback all claim, that was an absolutely ridiculous decision for an 8 year vet.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
I had not seen this since it happened. I tend to not watch these things over and over and pull off the scab.

But in your mind, does this absolve Romo for short arming that pass? For throwing it to begin with?

It was 1st and 10 and he could have lobbed this into the Commanders bench. This play is why Jaws put him at 15. Because that was a mistake a younger player makes.

And if he is this elite quarterback all claim, that was an absolutely ridiculous decision for an 8 year vet.

Not at all. Honestly, I really believe as he is starting his throw he did not realize the LB peeled off and was following Murray. But to me, the worst mistake was throwing off his back foot while fading backwards. Poor technique with pressure coming at him. Have to give the Commanders credit here for forcing Romo into making a bad decision and rush his throw. Granted had he stepped into the throw he may never had got up. I do not fault him for the decision to throw the pass to Murray (I sometimes think it may have been a called play to beat the blitz). A little more on that pass and Murray may still be running. I think he had he could/would have got away from the LB and had a Crayton size field to work with.

TD3, my previous post was a bit snarky. My apologies, it was uncalled for. Was having a bad day in the real world and I let it affect my comment.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
15th is about right for last season. Between int's and fumbles Romo averaged over 1.5 miscues per game, as we all know, that will cost you games. A good QB will average about 1 per game.

We can all scream "it's a team game," but QB's can greatly effect play of others, it's that silly little thing called MOMENTUM. A great QB lifts his team, ala Aikman, Staubach, a bad QB will kill you. Last year Tony was middle, at times he raised the team, many times he sucked the wind right out of our sails.

It has to improve this year.

Romo threw 19 INTs last year but INT% is a better stat IMO. He was at 2.9% in 2012 which is middle of the road for him. Brady was at 2.1% last year and Rodgers 1.7% for comparison. I think that's actually a little high for Brady since that offense was just so incredibly efficient last year. Still it is what it is. Romo fumbled 6 times last year but two were recovered . That's one turnover by fumble every fourth game. If you put some of those INTs on the receivers then it's not hard to get down to roughly him responsible every game for one TO. Now that I've minimized his TOs a little let me say Tony Romo has had a problem with ball protection since day one.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Has anyone considered that it shouldn't have even had to come down to that last play or even last game? A better HC, would of had the Cowboys in a much better position to win.

That's irrelevant to the discussion of what Romo should have done under the actual game situation. But you're right. Many many things could have gone differently to alter the game making a CBW unnecessary. It would have been nice to just take a knee there.