Great International Restaurants

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Okay, so I've been on the road in Italy, England (visiting family and friends), and Barcelona (my second night) for some time now (I go home for a week and a half before New Jersey). With the unbelievable food I've had, I feel the need to make a thread about International Restaurants. Specifically, the best ones I've been to.

La Terrazza - Maiori, Italy - Great Pizza and great service. Pizza is personal, but a very large one for a personal pizza. Knife and fork recommended for pizza.

There was a great restaurant in Florence that I can't quite recall, but the food was fantastic. Same with Rome. There was one near the Pantheon across the street from a gelato shop and another near there.

Then there's Toby's Carvery in Christchurch, England. Absolutely Terrific! Massive food. Get the king plate.

And now...for what I had today.

The Venue - Barcelona, Spain. Italy has great food. However, this was the best steak I've ever had (demolishes Ruth's Chris for me). In fact, this was the best meal I can remember having. Absolutely unbelievable. Without sauce, best steak ever for me. However, they also had whiskey gravy and peppercorn sauce to dip the steak into. Phenomenal!!! And the chips (fries) don't need ketchup. Just use the sauce left over.

These are my most memorable from this trip.

What restaurants outside the US have been your most memorable?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay, so I've been on the road in Italy, England (visiting family and friends), and Barcelona (my second night) for some time now (I go home for a week and a half before New Jersey). With the unbelievable food I've had, I feel the need to make a thread about International Restaurants. Specifically, the best ones I've been to.

La Terrazza - Maiori, Italy - Great Pizza and great service. Pizza is personal, but a very large one for a personal pizza. Knife and fork recommended for pizza.

There was a great restaurant in Florence that I can't quite recall, but the food was fantastic. Same with Rome. There was one near the Pantheon across the street from a gelato shop and another near there.

Then there's Toby's Carvery in Christchurch, England. Absolutely Terrific! Massive food. Get the king plate.

And now...for what I had today.

The Venue - Barcelona, Spain. Italy has great food. However, this was the best steak I've ever had (demolishes Ruth's Chris for me). In fact, this was the best meal I can remember having. Absolutely unbelievable. Without sauce, best steak ever for me. However, they also had whiskey gravy and peppercorn sauce to dip the steak into. Phenomenal!!! And the chips (fries) don't need ketchup. Just use the sauce left over.

These are my most memorable from this trip.

What restaurants outside the US have been your most memorable?

There were so many in Italy that I lost track. This was one we ate at in Verona. They had the lightest, most delicious gnocchi I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. These things were so light and fluffy, I don't know how they stayed on the plate! And the food kept coming in waves! One of many fantastic dining experiences. Thankfully, it was within walking distance of out hotel because after all of the food I consumed, I needed to walk it off.

https://www.osteriacasavino.com/

I'll dig up some others from my trip as I find them.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
There were so many in Italy that I lost track. This was one we ate at in Verona. They had the lightest, most delicious gnocchi I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. These things were so light and fluffy, I don't know how they stayed on the plate! And the food kept coming in waves! One of many fantastic dining experiences. Thankfully, it was within walking distance of out hotel because after all of the food I consumed, I needed to walk it off.

https://www.osteriacasavino.com/

I'll dig up some others from my trip as I find them.

I will have to check out that place.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I ate in several restaurants in Paris, but none really knocked my socks off. Clearly I'm going to have to go with a list of restaurants that are supposed to be very good.

The best restaurant I ate at in Rome was basically three tables sitting outside of someone's house. It was off the tourist paths, but that's also how I found it. An Italian friend here in NY that grew up in Rome told me if I want a great meal, to leave the tourist paths and walk down neighborhoods and look for small restaurants that look like homes with tables sitting outside.

I couldn't even pronounce what I ordered. If I had to liken it to a dish, it was like a pasta carbonara (visually), but definitely not. I'm not a huge fan of carbonara, but whatever this was, was very good.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I ate in several restaurants in Paris, but none really knocked my socks off. Clearly I'm going to have to go with a list of restaurants that are supposed to be very good.

The best restaurant I ate at in Rome was basically three tables sitting outside of someone's house. It was off the tourist paths, but that's also how I found it. An Italian friend here in NY that grew up in Rome told me if I want a great meal, to leave the tourist paths and walk down neighborhoods and look for small restaurants that look like homes with tables sitting outside.

I couldn't even pronounce what I ordered. If I had to liken it to a dish, it was like a pasta carbonara (visually), but definitely not. I'm not a huge fan of carbonara, but whatever this was, was very good.

He's 100% correct. The best spots in Rome are further back from the tourist spots.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The golden arches will be in most countries your visit. Stay away.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The golden arches will be in most countries your visit. Stay away.

Though, they do make for a cheap lunch if in a pinch. Actually, while zoo food is pretty bad usually and usually overpriced, the hot dog and chips (fries) I had yesterday at the Barcelona Zoo were quite nice and not unreasonably priced.