Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Chargers scouting corner
Chargers.com - Free Exclusive Content
Monday, January 31, 2005

This page presented by

Jimmy Raye with Dennis Abraham
Leading up to the 2005 NFL Draft, Chargers Director of College Scouting Jimmy Raye will update fans on the team’s preparations for the draft and provide an insight into the Bolts’ scouting department. In his first installment, he breaks down the scouting process and discusses the recent Senior Bowl.

The Chargers college scouting department has nine people, including me. There are five area scouts, and then we have two other guys, John Spanos and Mike McCarthy, that scout a limited area. We also have Ed Langsdorf, who is a scout for the National Scouting Combine, which is an NFL scouting service.

My job as director of college scouting, more or less, is to organize the college scouting season. In the offseason, I’ll map out the schedules for each of our college scouts. Every one of our scouts is located in a different area of the country. What we do is take the schools from each of those areas and condense the list down to the best schools for the scout to go to that year. After that happens, I visit all the top players in each of those guys’ areas. Basically, I’ll cover the top-150 players in the country. I serve as one of the over-the-top guys for all the area scouts.

How we evaluate players is first, the area scout will write his report on a player. Then we’ll have another scout cross-check the player and write his report. I’ll write my report and, in a way, I serve as a tiebreaker if there isn’t a consensus opinion between the prior two scouts. Sometimes there will be a fourth guy, which is Assistant General Manager Buddy Nix, who also looks at a player. All of that information helps General Manager A.J. Smith make an overall decision before the draft.

A basic report includes a “skills” section, where the scouts will break down each guy’s specific skills. If it’s a defensive back, it might be his backpedaling, ball skills or defending the run. Then there is a summary section where the scout will take into consideration all of the player’s skills and tell you how he best fits the Chargers’ needs and where the player might fall in the draft, etc.

When I scout players at schools, I watch a player on game tape to get some background information and collect data. Then I’ll watch him practice. Some teams will stick around for the games on the weekends. I’ll only do that in specific instances because I’m usually traveling to our games. I try to get all my work done while I’m at the school during the week.

The reason I like watching practice is because many times a guy can look a certain way to you on tape and you might say, ‘This guy looks about 6-5, 300 pounds.’ But then when you go to practice, he might be a thinner-hipped, skinny-legged athlete. His build or physique may not fit what we’re looking for. So it’s always good to see a player in person and up close.

The schools we visit and the players we look at are determined before the season. The National Scouting Combine will meet in the spring and they’ll compile a list of players to look for. They’ll give us a list with grades for the players, and then we decide which players to go see.

Some places you automatically go to, such as the schools in the Big Ten, Pac-10, SEC and the other major football conferences. But there are always a few schools, like Troy St., Grambling, Louisiana Tech or Eastern Washington for example, that always seem to have pretty good players. So you have to check them out. During the summer, we’ll watch tapes of the schools not mentioned by the scouting service to determine if there are any other places we need to visit during the year.

All of our ground work is done in the fall. At this time of year, we’re checking and double-checking ourselves to make sure what we thought during the fall is the end result when draft time comes. So let’s say I thought a guy was a first-round player when I went to the school to see him in October. Now, I’ll see him in an all-star game or at the Indy Combine or at a workout, and his performance will either solidify what I saw during that prior visit, or I’ll make another determination.

Generally, I’ll go to two or three postseason all-star games to scout college players. This year, I went to the East-West Shrine Game and the Senior Bowl. The practices leading up to the game give you a chance to see players in a controlled environment for a week against some of the better players in the country. At the same time, you finally get to interview the kids and sit down face-to-face. You also can attain accurate body measurements, if you haven’t already. It’s another way to nitpick a guy in an NFL setting.

The Senior Bowl, which took place last week, always has the best talent of any of the all-star games. It’s coached by NFL staffs, so they run their practices just like we would here. It’s easier to evaluate a guy when he’s going against the best of the best. Not every top guy shows up, but most of them do. When you see guys go against elite competition each day, it separates the great players from the good players and lets you know how guys play against certain levels of competition. It also gives you a chance to see players from smaller schools play against better competition.

During the week, I had a chance to catch up with scouts from other teams. As you might imagine, you have to be careful what you discuss to a certain degree. I think everyone knows which players are the best. If L.T. were at the Senior Bowl, everyone would know who the best running back is. But you draw the line when it comes to talking in-depth about some of the lesser-known guys. Nobody wants to tip anyone else off. After all, the competition doesn’t end at the football field.

Your Take

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have an opinion on this story? Share it with other Chargers.com readers on the team's official message boards.

Top Chargers.com Stories (more)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chargers scouting corner - 01/31/05
Staying the course - 01/28/05
Trip of a lifetime - 01/27/05
Past meets present - 01/26/05
Special teams growing up - 01/24/05

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
A non Pats story? Who are you and what did you do with Nors?

:D

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
He keepsscreming 3-4, 3-4

So I post a scouting article from a 4-3 team looking 3-4

junk said:

Friday, January 28, 2005
Broncos at the Senior Bowl: Searching for the Next Generation
By Andrew Mason
DenverBroncos.com

MOBILE, Ala. - When Ted Sundquist was the Broncos' director of college scouting, the practices prior to the Senior Bowl represented a culmination of sorts; a cap on his efforts of supervising the study of every possible prospect in that year's draft class.

BRONCOS TV: BRONCOS AT THE SENIOR BOWL

But tasks change with a shift in jobs. When he became the team's general manager three years ago, Sundquist's focus broadened by necessity from looking at college players. So as Jim Goodman -- his successor in the college scouting slot -- now directs the efforts of the Broncos' cadre of college scouts, Sundquist's reach and sight broadened.

So much so, in fact, that as the 2004 regular season progressed, he had to focus on this year's upcoming unrestricted and restricted free agents. For Sundquist, the week of practices in Mobile, Ala. became less about confirming what he already knew about the year's draft class, and more about getting to know them in the first place.

"It's kind of catch-up because I have spent the majority of the season grading the free agents," Sundquist said between practices at Mobile this week. "I spent a lot of time with Rick Smith, our director of pro personnel, and Chris Trulove, one of our pro scouts, in getting that information gathered together."

But beginning with what he saw in person this week at the practices, this year's college prospects come into focus.

"I've had the opportunity to see a number of these guys play on television," Sundquist said. "I have begun my evaluation process on a few of the teams, but this is an opportunity to see some of the best and brightest young guys coming out this year, and I always get excited coming down here to Mobile to get that opportunity."

It's the four days of practice which often prove more telling and revealing than the game itself (ESPN2, Saturday, 2 p.m. MST). But the week isn't a tell-all week -- and to believe in it as such is to commit a fallacy of drafting. It's important, but it must remain only a portion of the large whole of evaluating a player.

"I think it's true throughout the scouting process -- it's possible to get too excited one way or the other," Sundquist said. "You've got to take it in the big, broad perspective."

Doing so entails several aspects.

"You've got to look at how he played as a junior, and what his jump was from his junior to his senior season," Sundquist said. "You've got to look at how he played in his games throughout that senior season. You've got to take into account how -- when he was elevated in competition level surrounded by the top all-stars -- he practiced during the week (of the Senior Bowl or other all-star game), and then how did he perform during the game. You've got to take a look at how he handled the Combine process, how he handled the interview process, and then the actual workout and how he came out of it health-wise from the medicals.

"Then you go through your entire process as a club as you evaluate these guys and try to put your board together, that's a big, broad picture that you've got to paint, and if you focus too much on any one of those areas, you're more apt to make a mistake."

That being said, Sundquist believes that turning down the chance to play in the Senior Bowl is a mistake -- just as he feels that bypassing a Scouting Combine workout next month in Indianapolis is the wrong thing to do.

"I feel that any time that you have an opportunity to show your wares in front of the head coaches, general managers, player personnel directors and the college scouts, you should take advantage of that opportunity," Sundquist said. "It can't hurt you."

After all, one can't bypass a challenging task in the NFL.

"If you feel like you have what it takes to play in the National Football League, then you should be willing to step up to that challenge, because for 16 weeks, there is going to be a major challenge on Sundays," Sundquist said. "There's not a (time) there where (you'll think), 'This week I'm afraid I might get hurt,' or 'I don't want to come out and look bad against the Raiders this week, so I think I'm just going to take it off.' You've got to step up to the plate and be ready to compete.

"These are opportunities that we're giving you, and we expect you to (compete)."

It is an opportunity that represents something far different than just playing a college regular-season game. The practices -- particularly those of Tuesday and Wednesday, which took place in full pads -- were characteristically intense, including some jarring hits from Auburn safety Junior Rosegreen, Louisville linebacker Robert McCune and even a forearm shiver from West Virginia running back Kay-Jay Harris, who ran over a secondary defender on a long carry.

The difference was immediately evident to the players.

"It's a lot more physical," said UCLA wide receiver Craig Bragg, who played two seasons in Westwood under former Broncos receivers coach Karl Dorrell. "You can tell by the people that are here. Everybody seems to be a little bigger and faster than in a typical college game. So I'm sure it's going to be a step up from that in the NFL."

And a chance for players like Stanford tight end and Denver native Alex Smith to commensurately step up their game.

"You see a lot of great players out here," said Smith, whose father, Ed, played defensive end for the Broncos from 1973-75. "It just makes you want to compete that much more -- to see how you stack up to the best. There's really no time to be in awe because these are going to be guys you have to go up against in the pros."

COLORADO CONNECTIONS: Smith isn't the only Coloradoan in the contest. Tight end Joel Dreessen, a native of Fort Morgan, will play following a stellar four years at Colorado State. Wide receiver and Colorado Springs resident Vincent Jackson also spent the week practicing with the North Squad following four years at Northern Colorado and made a series of solid catches as the week progressed.

"There's not very many people that come out of Colorado year-in and year-out," Smih said. "Colorado's not really known as a football powerhouse. To be able to be on the stage right now and know that I'm from Colorado -- that means a lot to me."

Grand Junction resident and former Arizona State quarterback Andrew Walter was invited to the game but could not play because of a shoulder injury incurred to the season. However, he did spend part of the week in Mobile.

k19

Reaction score
junk said:

I thought the same thing. Seems Nors infatuation of the day is the Chargers :confused:

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
K19 said:
I thought the same thing. Seems Nors infatuation of the day is the Chargers :confused:

98 Reggie Hayward, Defensive End

Height: 6' 5"
Weight: 270 lbs.
College: Iowa State
Born: in Chicago, Ill.
High School: Thornridge High School
Resides: Parker, Colo.
Acquired: Draft #3 (87th overall), 2001
Pro Year: 4th
Year with Broncos: 4th
NFL Games Played/Started: 47/20
Postseason: 1/0

Order your own Reggie Hayward jersey!
Broncos Gameday -- The Sack Attack -- Oct. 10, 2003
2003 Audio Highlight: Hayward sacks quarterback Rick Mirer in the Week 13 game at Oakland
BRONCOS TV: The Remarkable Turnaround for Hayward -- Sept. 24, 2003
2004 AUDIO HIGHLIGHTS FROM BRONCOS RADIO 850 KOA:

AFC Wild Card Game at Indianapolis: Hayward sacks Manning
Week 16 at Tennessee: Hayward's 1st sack
Week 16 at Tennessee: Hayward's 2nd sack
Week 16 at Tennessee: Hayward's 3rd sack
Week 12 at Oakland: Hayward's sack
Week 11 vs. New Orleans: Hayward's INT and return
Week 8 vs. Atlanta: Hayward's fumble recovery
Week 2 at Jacksonville: Hayward sacks Leftwich
Week 1 vs. Kansas City: Hayward and Fatafehi sack Green
Reggie Hayward, who returned from spending the last seven games of 2002 on injured reserve, enjoyed his finest season in NFL last year and looks to soar even higher in 2004 as an every play starter. In 16 games a year ago, Hayward posted career highs in tackles (44, 32 solo) and sacks (8.5 for -47 yards), which tied for second on the team. He also added five passes defensed, two forced fumbles and two fumbles recovered. In 2002, Hayward’s season was cut short when he was placed on injured reserve with a fractured right hand Dec. 4, and he missed the final seven games. During his rookie season, Hayward showed flashes of the superior quickness and agility that made him an attractive pass-rushing defensive end coming out of college. Hayward played in the final six games of his rookie season after being inactive the first 10 weeks and managed 22 tackles (16 solo), including three sacks (-21) in reserve duty. That year, he collected three sacks in the same game vs. Seattle (12/9/01), tying the Broncos single-game record for a rookie. Hayward was chosen by the Broncos in the third round (87th overall) of the 2001 NFL Draft.

• Hayward led the Broncos with 10.5 sacks (-73.5 yds.), which tied for the third-highest total in the AFC, and his 60 tackles (45 solo) led the team’s linemen.
• His three sacks (-23.0 yds.) at Tenn. (12/25) tied a career high set Dec. 9, 2001, vs. Seattle.
• His 76-yard interception return, the first of his career, at N.O. (11/21) was the longest non-scoring interception return in team history and was the fourth-longest overall interception return by a Bronco.
• His four-game streak with at least one (1.0) sack this season was the longest by a Bronco since Alfred Williams in 1996.

2004: Hayward was Denver’s top pass-rushing threat in 16 games (15 starts), and the defensive end led the Broncos in sacks (10.5 for -73.5 yds.) to tie for the third-highest sack total in the AFC. He totaled 60 tackles (45 solo), one interception (76 yds.), five pass breakups, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery. Hayward displayed remarkable consistency in 2004, posting a four-game streak with at least one (1.0) sack to mark the longest such streak by a Bronco since 1996 (DE Alfred Williams). He totaled a sack (-8 yds.) on backup quarterback Jim Sorgi vs. Ind. (1/2) in a two-tackle performance. With three sacks (-23.0 yds.) at Tenn. (12/25), he tied a career high set Dec. 9, 2001, vs. Seattle, and the pass rusher finished the Titans game with four tackles (all solo), a forced fumble on a sack and one pass breakup. At K.C. (12/19), Hayward recorded one tackle and a pass breakup. He added two tackles (both solo) vs. Mia. (12/12) but saw his four-game sack streak (the franchise’s longest since 1996 – DE Alfred Williams) come to an end. At S.D. (12/5), he sacked Drew Brees for a loss of nine yards in the second quarter to mark his fourth consecutive game with a sack and led the Broncos’ defensive linemen with five tackles (4 solo). He continued to create pressure on the quarterback vs. Oak. (11/28) with a 5-yard sack of Kerry Collins in the third quarter that was one of three tackles (all solo) against the Raiders. In the fourth quarter at N.O. (11/21), Hayward intercepted the first pass of his career late in the fourth quarter and took it 76 yards to the Saints’ 5-yard line. His 76-yard interception return was the longest non-scoring interception return in team history and was the fourth-longest overall interception return by a Bronco. He finished the game with three tackles (1 solo) and one sack (-3 yds.) while helping to limit Saints running back Deuce McAllister to only 42 rushing yards. He led all Broncos linemen with six tackles (5 solo) vs. Hou. (11/7), including a 3-yard sack on Texans quarterback David Carr that ended the first half. Hayward totaled three stops (all solo) vs. Atl. (10/31) and recovered a T.J. Duckett fumble that was forced by Al Wilson in the second quarter with the Falcons inside the Broncos’ 30-yard line. He led all Broncos linemen in tackles on Monday Night Football at Cin. (10/25) with six tackles (5 solo). Hayward recorded his 100th-career tackle in a five-tackle game (3 solo) at Oak. (10/17) as the Broncos held the Raiders to only 31 yards rushing. He contributed three tackles (two solo) in a start vs. Car. (10/10) as the Broncos’ run defense surrendered only 64 rushing yards. Hayward tied for the team-lead among linemen with three tackles (2 solo) at T.B. (10/3). He sacked Drew Brees late in the fourth quarter for -7 yards vs. S.D. (9/26) and had four tackles (3 solo) for the Broncos, who held LaDainian Tomlinson to his lowest rushing total (60 yds.) in 15 games. He made his first start of the season at Jac. (9/19) and totaled six tackles (5 solo), tying a team high, with one sack (-4 yds.) at right defensive end in one of his finest performances as a pro. On the Jaguars’ first play of the game, Hayward sacked Jaguars quarterback Byron Leftwich, and the pass rusher followed that up with a tackle on Fred Taylor on the next play. He played a part in limiting Jacksonville to only 67 yards rushing on 22 carries (3.0). He had four tackles (1 solo) along with half a sack for -11.5 in Denver’s game vs. K.C. (9/12). Hayward and defensive tackle Mario Fatafehi combined to sack Kansas City QB Trent Green for -23 yards on a first-quarter drive that eventually would stall.

2003: Hayward played in all 16 games, starting two (vs. Oak., 9/22 and at Min., 10/19), and tallied 44 tackles (32 solo), including a career-high 8.5 sacks (-47), tying for 10th most in the AFC. He also had five pass deflections, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. In the opener at Cin. (9/7), Hayward posted a sack of Jon Kitna (-6) among his career-high eight tackles (6 solo) while adding a deflected pass, a forced fumble and a recovered a fumble. The forced fumble and the recovery were career firsts for Hayward. He registered his first start of the season in Wk. 3 vs. Oak. (9/22) and recorded three tackles, including a season-high 2.5 sacks of Rich Gannon. Hayward's biggest sack of the night came on a crucial third-and-2 play when he dropped Gannon for a 10-yd. loss to force an Oakland punt. He recorded two solo tackles in Wk. 6 vs. Pit. (10/12), including a sack of Tommy Maddox (-8). In Wk. 7 at Min. (10/19), Hayward made his second start of the season and recorded three tackles (2 solo). In Wk. 8 at Balt. (10/26), he split a sack of Kyle Boller (-3) with Bertrand Berry among his three tackles (1 solo). Hayward recorded just one solo tackle against S.D. (11/16), but his lone tackle came on a sack of Chargers quarterback Doug Flutie on which he stripped the ball and recovered it himself. He registered three tackles (2 solo) at Oak. (11/30), including 1.5 sacks (-10.5), and a pass breakup. Both sacks came at the expense of Raiders quarterback Rick Mirer, one for a 10-yd. loss in the third quarter. The following week vs. K.C. (12/7), Hayward recorded two solo tackles before suffering a mild AC sprain in his right shoulder in the 4th qtr. He bounced back vs. Cle. (12/14) to make a solo tackle and break up a career-high two passes. Hayward recorded a pair of solo tackles at Ind. (12/21). At G.B. (12/28), he notched his second-highest total of the season with six tackles (5 solo), including a sack (-0) of Packers quarterback Brett Favre in the second quarter. Hayward also added a pass deflection. He saw action in a reserve role and registered three solo tackles and a fumble recovery in the Broncos' AFC Wild Card game at Ind. (1/4).

>2002: Hayward played in a reserve role in nine games and made 10 tackles (7 solo) before being placed on injured reserve with a fractured right hand Dec. 4. The injury occurred in Denver's 30-27 overtime loss at S.D. (12/1). Hayward posted two tackles on four occasions: vs. Buf. (9/22), vs. S.D. (10/6), at Sea. (11/17) and vs, Ind. (11/24). He was declared inactive for the first two games (vs. St. L., 9/8 and at S.F., 9/15) and again at Balt. (9/30).

2001: Hayward played in each of the final six games (at Dal., 11/22; at Mia., 12/2; vs. Sea., 12/9; at K.C., 12/16; vs. Oak., 12/30 and at Ind., 1/6) after being declared inactive for the first 10 and finished the year with 22 tackles (16 solo), including three sacks (-21). In his second career start, at Ind. (1/6), he posted four tackles (3 solo). Hayward made his first NFL start vs. Oak. (12/30), replacing Kavika Pittman at right defensive end after Pittman was placed on injured reserve for the final two games of the year. Previously, he saw the most extensive action of his young career at K.C. (12/16) after Pittman left with his strained calf in the first qtr. and tied for second on the team with a career-best nine tackles (5 solo). That effort also matched the best by a Broncos defensive lineman in 2001, equaling Pittman’s nine-tackle performance vs. Balt. (9/30). Hayward saw time vs. Sea. (12/9), registering five tackles (4 solo) and the first three sacks of his career (on Matt Hasselbeck) for a total loss of 21 yards. The three sacks were the most in a game by a Bronco in 2001 and tied the franchise record for a rookie held by Rulon Jones (12/14/01 vs. Oak.) while tying for the seventh-best effort overall in club history. Hayward played in his first NFL game at Dal. (11/22) and registered two solo tackles.

COLLEGE: Hayward was a first-team All-Big 12 Conference honoree in his senior season at Iowa State after two consecutive seasons of honorable mention consideration. A three-year starter, he never missed a game in his college career (44 games/33 starts) and did not redshirt. Hayward’s career numbers include 229 tackles (147 solo), 16.5 sacks (-102), four passes defensed, five forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries. Hayward received the Arthur Floyd Scott Award as a senior, given annually to the team’s outstanding defensive lineman, and was a team captain and Most Valuable Player. He was a sociology major.

PERSONAL: Hayward was an All-America selection by Reebok, Prep Football Report and Super Prep at Thornridge High School in Dolton, Ill. He was named one of the top players nationally by Prep Football Report and earned first-team all-state honors from the Champaign News-Gazette as a senior. Hayward also played tight end and served as the team’s punter, as well as lettering in basketball—earning all-conference honors as a junior and a senior—and track. Reginald Joseph Hayward Jr., was born March 14, 1979, in Chicago.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Senior Bowl part of draft preparation puzzle Andy Hart, Patriots Football Weekly

Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick believes that the Senior Bowl is a key part of the early draft preparation process.

ProShop

2004 AFC Lockerroom s/s Tee
Other Products 2004 Sideline Knit Hat Ltd Ed38 Results Tee 2004 2nd Season Cap Harrison Equipment Replica Jersey

Last week the bulk of the Patriots coaching and scouting staff spent time in Mobile, Ala., at the 2003 Senior Bowl. The game matches the best senior college football players in the country against each other, the North defeated the South 17-0, but more importantly it gives NFL talent evaluators a chance to observe this year’s draft crop. As important as the game action itself is, even more information can be gained about players based on the practice action from the week leading up to the game.

Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick, who did not attend this year’s Senior Bowl practices as he remained in the New England area to attend the funeral of Boston Globe football writer Will McDonough, believes that the Senior Bowl is an important piece of the talent evaluation process and draft preparation.

“The big thing about the Senior Bowl is that it’s run buy pro coaches so it’s a pro system that’s fairly similar to what we’re doing regardless of which team is coaching it,” Belichick said in an interview with Patriots Football Weekly on Jan. 17. “A lot of the bowl games are coached by college coaches – maybe a head coach from one school with a couple of head coaches from other schools as his assistants. This is a true [pro] football staff that is doing a pro program with the drills that we do.”

“It’s the first time you can see players working side-by-side against a high caliber of competition. You see a guy from one school playing against another and sometimes you get real good matchups here or there, but when you watch one-on-one drills at the Senior Bowl all of those guys are going to get drafted and all those guys are going to be in the NFL next year – they may not all make it but they’re all going to get to training camp and you can start evaluating them against each other. Generally there’s just a better crop of players at the Senior Bowl than at some of the other games.”

Belichick, whose staff spent Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of last week in Mobile evaluating the practices, believes that many times you can see more in those practices than in the actual game action.

“In a game on offense you only get maybe 65 plays and the guys alternate so you only get a guy for maybe 30 plays in a game and see them against the other team.” Belichick said. “In practice, you get to see the offensive linemen from the north blocking the defensive linemen from the north and you’re evaluating that, and then you go to the game and see the north against the south. Some of the matchups show up, some of them don’t. But in practices you get more looks and opportunities against different people.”

But as important as the postseason all-star type bowls can be in evaluating players against a high level of competition, they are also just a small piece of the draft process. Between college game films, scouting research into each player, the upcoming NFL Draft Combine and various other tools teams put together an abundance of knowledge on a player before selecting in April’s draft.

“I’d say it’s a piece to the puzzle,” Belichick of the Senior Bowl. “The downside to the bowl game is the guy is going there and learning a new system. It’s not really a true picture of a player who’s been in a program for three or four years, is really confident in the system, knows what he’s been doing and has worked with those people and has his timing of his teammates over a period of time. Some kids do better in one setting and some kids do better in another. I don’t think it’s the end all but it’s another look at them.”

For more of Belichick’s interview with Patriots Football Weekly check out the upcoming February issue.

Notes

According to Pro Football Weekly here are some of the interesting physical statistics from this year’s Senior Bowl. … Texas quarterback Chris Simms, Florida tight end Aaron Walker and Michigan linebacker Victor Hobson had the largest hands, all measuring and impressive 10 and a half inches. … Syracuse linebacker Clifton Smith had the smallest at 7 and three quarter inches. … Illinois offensive lineman Tony Pashos was the heaviest player at the game at 6-5, 339 pounds. … North Carolina defensive lineman Terrance Martin had the longest arms of any player at 36 inches. … The lightest player was slender Georgia wide receiver Terrence Edwards at 163 pounds.

Game Notes

Penn State running back Larry Johnson was the game’s overall MVP. Johnson rushed for 59 yards on 13 carries. Penn State defensive lineman Michael Haynes was the North defensive MVP with four tackles, two for a loss, one sack and two forced fumbles. Notre Dame wide receiver Arnaz Battle was the North offensive MVP with two rushes for 19 yards and three catches for 27 yards.

North Carolina wide receiver Sam Aiken was the South offensive MVP with nine receptions for 69 yards. Texas A&M defensive lineman Ty Warren was the South defensive MVP with five tackles and one sack.

Notre Dame defensive back Shane Walton had the game’s biggest play with a 99-yard interception return for a touchdown in the fourth quarter. The play was the longest return in Senior Bowl history, besting a 97-yard return by Fred Weary in 1998. Heisman Trophy winner Carson Palmer of USC had an impressive game completing 9-of-15 passes for 74 yards.