Greater emphasis on keeping Irving

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes and no. When he was in, his production was pretty good. When he wasn't, well, he wasn't and that's a problem.

Think about it thou. Does this team get rid of really talented players for 2nd round picks usually? Why would they do that?

Hes a talented player with suspensions and is a head case. Tough to sign those guys to long term deals. Some would say take the 2nd rounder and move on.

zack

Reaction score
I think the position of the team is pretty simple, at least from what I've observed. If we get a 2nd, he's gone. If we don't, we are going to leverage his stupidity into a more team friendly contract.

Simple as that, to me.

Dallas has had a hit or miss with a second round picks. Give me the player that is arguably more of a play maker than Demarcus Lawrence. To me it’s just stupid that they are thinking of moving on from him.

Reactions: BAT

Sydla

Reaction score
Sydia--- not trying go gloss over...just that concussions happen to just about every player at one point or another so....its not the same as injury prone like shaun Lee....that was the point i was making...i guarantee there is no one in this draft in round 2 that could step in and have the success of Irving the first year...so i hope we at least keep him one more year and then lose him

The talent is useless if he gets another concussion. And given the severity of his one last year, he has a greater chance of getting one in the future.

It’s a situation that i believe has the Cowboys hesitant.

Gameover

Reaction score
I've said all along the Cowboys need to keep Irving. I think it's unlikely his production can be replaced by a 2nd round choice unless the Cowboys get lucky with that pick. Agree to a deal and move on. Last thing the Cowboys need is more drama.

Agreed

Who are the Cowboys to be giving up defensive talent?! A freak of one at that!

Gameover

Reaction score
Hes a talented player with suspensions and is a head case. Tough to sign those guys to long term deals. Some would say take the 2nd rounder and move on.
Then watch him go to LA and have a 15 sack season? If this forum isn’t miserable enough already

cern

Reaction score
A second round tender will set the price for Irving should another team make him an offer. Then we can match it or not. Good negotiating policy, imo.

Wood

Reaction score
dear CZ---- I am assuming most of you saw the article...comparing David Irvings stats in only 8 games to the top DT's in the league playing 16 games...and how much they made?....a deflected pass is worth at least 80% of a sack...Irving had 7 sacks and 6 deflections in 8 games...only Malike Jackson and Geno Atkins had more sacks than Irving but they played twice as many games...no one had even close to his 6 deflections

David Irving ( 7 sacks...6 deflected passes..450,000 thousand )
players like Suh ( 4.5..sacks.. 2 deflections... 19+ million )
Fletcher Cox..(5.5 sacks...1 deflection............17.1 million )
Kawaan Short (7.5 sacks..1 deflection...........16.1 million )
Marcell Darius( 2 sakcs..0..deflections..........15.85 million )
Malik Jackson (8 sacks..3 deflections...........18.2 million )
Gerald McCoy (6 sacks..1 deflection..............13.6 million )
Luvall Joseph (3.5 sacks..0 deflections.........12.5 million )
Jimmy Jernigan ( 2.5 sacks 0 deflections......12 million )
Geno Atkins ( 9 sacks...0 deflections.......12.6 million )
Kyle Williams ( 3 sacks...2 deflections.......10 million )

you here Irving is kind of a squirrley dude ....well the good organizations learn how to influence their players
and tailor their leadership that impacts players...Irving is not a drug abuser or does he have an injury history other than a concussion ( those occur for almost every player )....take his word for it that the vitamins he endorsed gave him a positive pee test...and lead a budding superstar for your team....the big problem is we will lose this on the verge elite player in free agency and only get a second round pick for him...at least if you are going to screw it up get a first round pick?...this really ticks me off..we let budding great players and coaches move on to have great careers on other teams...Irving will be a war daddy...we could potentially have 3 or 4 war daddys on this team...Lawrence..Irving....Collins...Tapper...Taco..maybe Gregory??...3 for sure

comes down to reliability. I agree he definitely flashes but buyer beware on those type of players. My sense is that Irving will be productive on field but miss time due to assortment of random and non-random events.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Dallas has had a hit or miss with a second round picks. Give me the player that is arguably more of a play maker than Demarcus Lawrence. To me it’s just stupid that they are thinking of moving on from him.

If they are thinking that at all.

kskboys

Reaction score
DLaw? Hasn't he had 2 suspensions? 3 is a season long one. And he's had back problems, scary stuff. I'd prolly just franchise him for a season and be done w/ it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dear CZ---- I am assuming most of you saw the article...comparing David Irvings stats in only 8 games to the top DT's in the league playing 16 games...and how much they made?....a deflected pass is worth at least 80% of a sack...Irving had 7 sacks and 6 deflections in 8 games...only Malike Jackson and Geno Atkins had more sacks than Irving but they played twice as many games...no one had even close to his 6 deflections

David Irving ( 7 sacks...6 deflected passes..450,000 thousand )
players like Suh ( 4.5..sacks.. 2 deflections... 19+ million )
Fletcher Cox..(5.5 sacks...1 deflection............17.1 million )
Kawaan Short (7.5 sacks..1 deflection...........16.1 million )
Marcell Darius( 2 sakcs..0..deflections..........15.85 million )
Malik Jackson (8 sacks..3 deflections...........18.2 million )
Gerald McCoy (6 sacks..1 deflection..............13.6 million )
Luvall Joseph (3.5 sacks..0 deflections.........12.5 million )
Jimmy Jernigan ( 2.5 sacks 0 deflections......12 million )
Geno Atkins ( 9 sacks...0 deflections.......12.6 million )
Kyle Williams ( 3 sacks...2 deflections.......10 million )

you here Irving is kind of a squirrley dude ....well the good organizations learn how to influence their players
and tailor their leadership that impacts players...Irving is not a drug abuser or does he have an injury history other than a concussion ( those occur for almost every player )....take his word for it that the vitamins he endorsed gave him a positive pee test...and lead a budding superstar for your team....the big problem is we will lose this on the verge elite player in free agency and only get a second round pick for him...at least if you are going to screw it up get a first round pick?...this really ticks me off..we let budding great players and coaches move on to have great careers on other teams...Irving will be a war daddy...we could potentially have 3 or 4 war daddys on this team...Lawrence..Irving....Collins...Tapper...Taco..maybe Gregory??...3 for sure

The best approach with players that Irving are to treat them as if they are replaceable. It's the Jimmy method or remember Parcells and TO?

When teams treat them like prima donnas you end up with Dez disrupting games.

Mike Irvin was 10x better than Dez but when they watched him running to the plane because he was late, Jimmy told the pilot to leave without him. He was never late again.

kskboys

Reaction score
The best approach with players that Irving are to treat them as if they are replaceable. It's the Jimmy method or remember Parcells and TO?

When teams treat them like prima donnas you end up with Dez disrupting games.

Mike Irvin was 10x better than Dez but when they watched him running to the plane because he was late, Jimmy told the pilot to leave without him. He was never late again.
No one should be above the team.

Tristan

Reaction score
No way I risk losing him! Long term contract? Not yet, but I think he has shown to be a possible "war daddy" who can disrupt and take over games. We need to keep all our potential War Daddies! If he comes thru, Laurence stays healthy and Taco takes the next step then we could have a terrorizing trio of "war daddies'

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Irving is the most talented interior lineman in the NFL short of Donald, that's worth the entire 2009 draft and then some tbh.

Reactions: BAT

Johnny23

Reaction score
DLaw? Hasn't he had 2 suspensions? 3 is a season long one. And he's had back problems, scary stuff. I'd prolly just franchise him for a season and be done w/ it.
Nope. He was suspended the once for his back surgery where he took a substance that was banned after the fact. A script from the doctor. In college he was suspended for taking Adderall ala the Seahawks.