Greatest Organ / Keyboard Solos

pete026

Reaction score
Ray Manzerak, The Doors were one of my favorite bands growing up. This is an interesting video Ray made about Riders on the Storm. I also included "When the Music's Over" even though the keyboards might not be a great example of his talent. Probably my favorite Doors song. In the words of Nietzsche, "Without music, life would be a mistake". I had a t-shirt with that quote on it.

pete026

Reaction score
Billy Powell - The story is he was a roadie for Lynyrd Skynyrd early on and they were trying to figure out the beginning of Free Bird and he said "How about something like this?" and he sat down at the piano and played the now famous intro. They all sat there with their jaws on the ground watching him play and forgot all about the song. They were like "Where did you learn how to play and why hadn't you told us?". So the band added piano to the mix.

His piano instructor did say he was one of those gifted kids that didn’t really need lessons.

Really wish I could have been at this concert. This was a couple months before the plane crash. Even though acoustics aren't very good at an outdoor concert; sure looked like a good time. I only had a chance to see them in reunion after the plane crash.

Last edited:

cowboyec

Reaction score

Elvis' 1st #1 hit and first gold record features floyd cramer on the piano run thrus on this classic.

pete026

Reaction score
ELP title song from the Trilogy album. Fabulous album; challenged to pick one but considering the thread is keyboard/organ, it was between "Fugue" and this.... tough decision.

Last edited: