Greeny, I want to be paid!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Saban is a better recruiter because Bama obviously pays players.

The best thing he's done as an actual coach is evolve from ground and pound to a vertical, attacking passing game.
I’m sure other Bama coaches cheated too but didn’t have as much success.

Coaching matters in attracting and assembling talent.

Aven8

Reaction score
Imagine that, Rogers isn’t happy again. And people blamed Mike. It’s just Rogers that isn’t happy regardless of whomever is there.

MikeB80

Reaction score
All these teams are similar..

QBs and coaching is what separates teams.

Not defense.. Not skill players.. It’s the QB.

interesting.

KC had their QB and the better head coach. How did they lose to Tampa?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Imagine that, Rogers isn’t happy again. And people blamed Mike. It’s just Rogers that isn’t happy regardless of whomever is there.
That’s what it’s beginning to look like. Send him to the Jets. See how he likes it. Lol

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I hear ya. But those coaches made choices along the way ending up with the talent they did.
agree... but my point being that the ones that ended up with that qb were lucky. Belichek had NO CLUE Brady would end up being so great. If he did, he would have drafted him in the first rd.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
agree... but my point being that the ones that ended up with that qb were lucky. Belichek had NO CLUE Brady would end up being so great. If he did, he would have drafted him in the first rd.
No doubt. But Belichick deserves some credit for surrounding him with enough support.

It’s one thing having the talent . Then doing something with it.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Uhm.... well it isnt like Brady is the only Elite QB. he has to compete against the other Elite QBs...I did this once before. You pretty much have to have elite QB or an all time great defense to win the SB.

There are RARE exceptions to this rule. But go back to 1995 and look and see, Its not complicated, and those great coaches have zero to do with it.

George Seifert was awesome.... with Joe montana and Steve young under center. How great was he when he went to Carolina?
Your right. There are rare occasions to this rule with not having a great qb to win a SB. The 4 teams that come to mind are the 85 Bears, the Giants when beat the underfeated Pats, Ravens and Bucs in the early 2000. All did not have great qbs but had great defenses. Having a great qb does hide a lot of weaknesses on your team. The only thing is great qbs want to get pay in an cap league if teams decide to allocate all their resources to the qb position than they may be weak at others.

Bigdog

Reaction score
You dont think Michigan or Syracuse coach cant also spot that top 10 recruit? But im pretty sure the top LB in the nation that is offered a full ride to Syracuse will chose Bama over Syracuse. So does that make Saban better ?
I would go to Bama too. Syracuse is cold in the winter time and is constantly snows.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
interesting.

KC had their QB and the better head coach. How did they lose to Tampa?
Good question.

Perhaps they didn’t have the best QB and HC to begin with. Definitely arguable. And close enough that it wasn’t a definitive difference.

History has proven that a great defense is often the answer to great QB’s. And sometimes the better team loses. We call it an upset.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Your right. There are rare occasions to this rule with not having a great qb to win a SB. The 4 teams that come to mind are the 85 Bears, the Giants when beat the underfeated Pats, Ravens and Bucs in the early 2000. All did not have great qbs but had great defenses. Having a great qb does hide a lot of weaknesses on your team. The only thing is great qbs want to get pay in an cap league if teams decide to allocate all their resources to the qb position than they may be weak at others.
Yep..Great defenses mask a lot of weaknesses too.

And you can’t hold great defenses together long in Cap era.

QB is about the only position we see consistently signed to additional contracts.

Bigdog

Reaction score
FYI..They play in the Carrier Dome in Syracuse.
I know that. Grew up about 2 hours away but it snows constantly there during the winter months which could last from October-May. There are no mountains to block the snow and they get dump on every year. I almost went to school at Oswego St but instead went to school 2 hours north of there where the winter months were even colder. Yeah I am gluten for punishment, lol.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I don’t think he’s saying it just takes a QB. If he is then he’s wrong.

Bit it does make it a lot easier the greater QB you have. And why teams go to such extremes and investments to land one.
Agreed

conner01

Reaction score
Or maybe Tampa was already good and didn't need to overcome 30 picks and 12 fumbles from the QB position last year like previous.
Bucs were a very good team without a QB
Hard to win without a QB
You can win without a top 5-6 QB if you are good enough
But you can’t win if your QB gives the ball away like their previous one din

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Uhm.... well it isnt like Brady is the only Elite QB. he has to compete against the other Elite QBs...I did this once before. You pretty much have to have elite QB or an all time great defense to win the SB.

There are RARE exceptions to this rule. But go back to 1995 and look and see, Its not complicated, and those great coaches have zero to do with it.

George Seifert was awesome.... with Joe montana and Steve young under center. How great was he when he went to Carolina?
It’s not rare at all for non-elite QB’s to be on a winning SB team. Nick Foles, Joe Flacco, Rypien, Hostettler, Doug Williams, Phil Simms, Theisman, Plunkett, Dawson. Not rare at all.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Greeny today was talking (well its what he does) and I swear he must have been reading my posts. He was saying how he doesnt want to hear about the talent the Packers have put around Rodgers. He said that QBs like Rodgers have put all those surrounding players kids' in private schools. That it is RODGERS that made the pack good, and if you put an avg QB on the pack that team would be 7-9.

Hello.... its what Ive been saying fopr years. These GMs, coaches, WRs, RBs...... they are fall within that bell shaped curve. Theya re all good, but none are significantly better than anyone else..... uneil the HOF QB is on the roster. Then all of the sudden that coach is just a little bit smarter than the others. That GM is just a little bit better.... those scouts are just a little bit better...... and.. here it is.......... The owner must be great. He must not get involved. He hires coaches and lets them coach.... bahahahahhahahahahahahhah

QB, it starts and ends right there and it was absolutely proven beyond any doubt last season when a 72 year old Tom Brady joined a Bucs team that had been below avg for a very long time went out and won a SB, AGAIN!

Those summer coaching classes that Arians took last year must have really paid off. Hes great!

Good QBs increase a team's chances of winning. Who knew? That's the kind of in-depth analysis I could get from my grandmother, God rest her soul. :muttley:

Good QBs don't win when surrounded by garbage. Which is why Brady got bounced in the wild card round his last year in New England, and looked bad doing it.

So how does a good QB get a supporting cast that is not garbage? Smart GMs and good coaches.

Tampa Bay was a scoring machine in 2019 while New England was anything but, because Tampa had the same receivers Brady threw to last year. So why did Tampa fall short in 2019? Jameis Winston committed 42 turnovers (30 picks, 12 fumbles). Brady cleaned that up and the rest is history.

No one, not even Brady, wins on his own.