Greeny, I want to be paid!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Greeny today was talking (well its what he does) and I swear he must have been reading my posts. He was saying how he doesnt want to hear about the talent the Packers have put around Rodgers. He said that QBs like Rodgers have put all those surrounding players kids' in private schools. That it is RODGERS that made the pack good, and if you put an avg QB on the pack that team would be 7-9.

Hello.... its what Ive been saying fopr years. These GMs, coaches, WRs, RBs...... they are fall within that bell shaped curve. Theya re all good, but none are significantly better than anyone else..... uneil the HOF QB is on the roster. Then all of the sudden that coach is just a little bit smarter than the others. That GM is just a little bit better.... those scouts are just a little bit better...... and.. here it is.......... The owner must be great. He must not get involved. He hires coaches and lets them coach.... bahahahahhahahahahahahhah

QB, it starts and ends right there and it was absolutely proven beyond any doubt last season when a 72 year old Tom Brady joined a Bucs team that had been below avg for a very long time went out and won a SB, AGAIN!

Those summer coaching classes that Arians took last year must have really paid off. Hes great!
Greeny tends to most often state the obvious to fill air time, often his show targetting casual sports fan. so Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers. Wilson are obvious ones..... who else? and rodgers hasn't made it to the superbowl in over 10 years...why? he doesn't have enough talent....he can raise their game to a certain extend....in the end they all need to have talent to be able to maximize that talent and that's the difference, all of the QBs have bad plays, bad games, bad quarters, etc....good QBs make more good plays than bad ones. they have more good quarters than bad ones. they have more good games than bad ones. you surrond these good QBs with some talent and they can elevate the offense.

..bucs had the talent. godwin, evans, couple of TEs, good OL, the problem was they had a bum called Winston...Brady knew all he had to do is thrown half his interceptions and they are a superbowl team.....which is exactly what ahppened.

Bigdog

Reaction score
and nobody has said that an elite QB is all that is needed... first off, Ive never seen the qb snap it to himself as well as run routes... but the point to all of this discussion is that the rest of the roster is much more interchangeable and not all that different from team to team.
That is not true at all. I have heard on this board by some that there was a qb in Philly who now plays for the Colts could do those things and more. He could throw the ball and run down and catch it for TD. He could walk on water. The God of all Qbs, lol.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Greeny today was talking (well its what he does) and I swear he must have been reading my posts. He was saying how he doesnt want to hear about the talent the Packers have put around Rodgers. He said that QBs like Rodgers have put all those surrounding players kids' in private schools. That it is RODGERS that made the pack good, and if you put an avg QB on the pack that team would be 7-9.

Hello.... its what Ive been saying fopr years. These GMs, coaches, WRs, RBs...... they are fall within that bell shaped curve. Theya re all good, but none are significantly better than anyone else..... uneil the HOF QB is on the roster. Then all of the sudden that coach is just a little bit smarter than the others. That GM is just a little bit better.... those scouts are just a little bit better...... and.. here it is.......... The owner must be great. He must not get involved. He hires coaches and lets them coach.... bahahahahhahahahahahahhah

QB, it starts and ends right there and it was absolutely proven beyond any doubt last season when a 72 year old Tom Brady joined a Bucs team that had been below avg for a very long time went out and won a SB, AGAIN!

Those summer coaching classes that Arians took last year must have really paid off. Hes great!

It doesn't start and end at QB. You have to get a QB, it won't work without a good one, but the Bucs did more than just add Brady. They put together a complete team on both sides of the ball. Adding Brady also handed them a free pro bowl caliber TE.

Look how many FAs played well for them. Look how many of their home grown players made an impact. Their D only gave up 30 points or more once, we averaged allowing that many. Their D also won them the super bowl, crushing Mahomes & Co.

Brady is goat as far as I'm concerned, but putting Brady on any random team doesn't yield a super bowl or even a playoff berth. Certainly wouldn't have the Cowboys. TB built a good team, Brady was the final piece to the puzzle.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
It doesn't start and end at QB. You have to get a QB, it won't work without a good one, but the Bucs did more than just add Brady. They put together a complete team on both sides of the ball. Adding Brady also handed them a free pro bowl caliber TE.

Look how many FAs played well for them. Look how many of their home grown players made an impact. Their D only gave up 30 points or more once, we averaged allowing that many. Their D also won them the super bowl, crushing Mahomes & Co.

Brady is goat as far as I'm concerned, but putting Brady on any random team doesn't yield a super bowl or even a playoff berth. Certainly wouldn't have the Cowboys. TB built a good team, Brady was the final piece to the puzzle.
Put Foles on the Bucs last year... NADA
Put Jimmy G on the Bucs.... nada
I can keep going and going UNTIL I start saying put Russel Wilson on Bucs.. and Wala, you start hitting super bowl paydirt. All that other stuff ..... uyea, blah blah blah

Reid1boys

Reaction score
If Mike Evans and Chris Godwin can have massive seasons with Jameis at QB a healthy Thomas is fine and dandy.
how awesome was a healthy Antonio Brown when his boy went down several years ago. He went from a fantasy MVP stud to almost not even startable..... . Every fantasy players cringes when their all world WR has his QB go down, even though said owner doesnt own that qb, because we all know what is about to happen to their player.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Put Foles on the Bucs last year... NADA
Put Jimmy G on the Bucs.... nada
I can keep going and going UNTIL I start saying put Russel Wilson on Bucs.. and Wala, you start hitting super bowl paydirt. All that other stuff ..... uyea, blah blah blah

Of course they wouldn't have won with those guys at QB. And they wouldn't have won with Brady and a Cowboys-like roster around him, either.

plymkr

Reaction score
Sometimes you just get beat by a better team or performance. And there’s also upsets.

Both the years they beat us in 2014 and 2016 to make championship game , I’d argue they weren’t necessarily that great of a team. Rodgers especially in 2016 was the difference in upsetting us.
The refs and Garrett helped as well.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Greeny tends to most often state the obvious to fill air time, often his show targetting casual sports fan. so Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers. Wilson are obvious ones..... who else? and rodgers hasn't made it to the superbowl in over 10 years...why? he doesn't have enough talent....he can raise their game to a certain extend....in the end they all need to have talent to be able to maximize that talent and that's the difference, all of the QBs have bad plays, bad games, bad quarters, etc....good QBs make more good plays than bad ones. they have more good quarters than bad ones. they have more good games than bad ones. you surrond these good QBs with some talent and they can elevate the offense.

..bucs had the talent. godwin, evans, couple of TEs, good OL, the problem was they had a bum called Winston...Brady knew all he had to do is thrown half his interceptions and they are a superbowl team.....which is exactly what ahppened.
bahahahahahahhahahahahaahhahaahahhahahhahhahahha..... So Jimmy G would have wona title with the Bucs? Easy as hell to say look at all that talent the bucs had, all the qb needs to do is not blow it. FACE it, the bucs sucked, hasdnt made playoffs in years, Tom Terrific shows up and bam, SB. i dont want to hear a word about how talented the Bucs were, they couldnt even win 9 games.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Understood but terminology and context is important . Sometimes you come off like an Elite QB is all you need.

And I’d add the rest of the team is different from team to team. You continue to downplay the other contributing factors.
I dont down play the other factors... I just dont think all those other factors have degrees of separation. I think they are VERY close top to bottom. One team might be stronger on the line, but the other is stronger in the LB corps... but overall, teams are very equal overall.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Rodgers wants to be paid. Like top of QB market paid.
His annoyance has come to the forefront as they couldn't agree on an extension.

I think he has every right to be annoyed at the team selecting an R1 QB when he feels he had/s 4-5 seasons left.

BUT, he has no real leverage. Like Watson and Wilson you can say all you want but it's nearly impossible to summon up the guts to walk away from from the game when making 30+M a year. --yes AR only had 14.5M in base but the Pack would certainly look to recover some of his signing bonus, plus his 6.8M roster bonus which was likely paid a month ago and likely make him sit a year before re-entering the league for someone else.

What deals could really be made? Maybe Russ? Maybe Watson? That'd have to be it for me were I GB.
And I'm not taking on Watson right now with a weird spa fetish in play.

DEN calling with only Drew Lock as QB compensation would be like those extended car warranty guys.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Maybe Rodgers to Denver
Keep hearing that but there isn't a trade for me to make with Denver if I am GB.
You gotta start any offer with better than Drew Lock.
GB is not a rebuilding team that just wants kids and picks.
They are a playoff team that wants to win.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Belichicks team was decimated from the get go and Cam Newton is a way below average QB.

Ive watch Belichick throw so many QBs for a loop that questioning his coaching just absolutely silly.

But Belichick has a 61-72 record without Brady. 1 playoff win. That’s a large sample size.

Also, in 2008 when Brady was injured Belichick didn’t even get his team to the playoffs. And that team was loaded since they were 16-0 the year before.

Brady was much more responsible for the Patriot’s success than the head coach.

As you said, it’s all about the QB.

Turk

Reaction score
But Belichick has a 61-72 record without Brady. 1 playoff win. That’s a large sample size.

Also, in 2008 when Brady was injured Belichick didn’t even get his team to the playoffs. And that team was loaded since they were 16-0 the year before.

Brady was much more responsible for the Patriot’s success than the head coach.

As you said, it’s all about the QB.
Its NEVER always about the QB.

Since when did football become a two man game?

Just complete Crap.

By the way that 2008 team went 11-5. And remember who they had at QB. A GOOD QB not only would have gotten them to the playoffs but made some noise

BB last year had his worst team since 2000. In all areas. I think winning 7 games with that mess and idiot winston at QB was actually a pretty good accomplishment.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Rodgers is the reason McCarthy is our head coach right now.

Rodgers made him and that shows every single year that passes.

Rodgers hasn't did anything he didn't do when McCarthy was there. McCarthy is a middle of the road coach but lets not act like he was holding Rodgers back. Rodgers is doing the same things.Which is great regular seasons and failing in the playoffs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I dont down play the other factors... I just dont think all those other factors have degrees of separation. I think they are VERY close top to bottom. One team might be stronger on the line, but the other is stronger in the LB corps... but overall, teams are very equal overall.
I disagree. And if we break it all down I think we can substantiate the degree of differences from top to bottom.

Start with the best offenses and their rosters with the bottom dwellers . Then do it defensively. Stark contrast in talent level.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure everyone knows that...Aaron Rodgers makes the Packers better lol.

But yes, there's really no such thing as a good GM. You hit on a QB, or you don't.
See Ozzie Newsome. Ravens have never had a Franchise QB. But collected Super Bowls. What Ozzie does is make sure the offense and defense supports and works for the QB he drafts. So there is such a thing as a good GM.

However, when you hit on a franchise QB it makes a below average GM good, a good GM great, a great GM a Pro Football contributor Hall of Fame selection.