Greg the aging leg

Mr_437

Reaction score
Fassell get what he wants, while, blowing games with stupid call that the unimpressive HC goes along with.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Of course. Not every kicker can go into their 40s but early 30s for good kickers doesnt mean as much compared to RBs for example.

I mean guys like Folk was still in the league last(?) Year and we all remember his mental collaspe here when he was young.

The op has a point in that as they get older their range does seem to drop. But iirc range wasn't an issue as it was accuracy, unless he was hooking kicks due to getting away from his technique in order to kick it that far.
Morten Andersen and Gary Anderson lasted a very long time

Maxmadden

Reaction score
We should bring back Brett Maher. He was really good beyond 50.
Too bad he sucked at 30 and 40 yards

fivetwos

Reaction score
Zuerlein couldn't kick for Garrett.

He loves those 60 yard attempts early in the game.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Fassell get what he wants, while, blowing games with stupid call that the unimpressive HC goes along with.
I think some of those calls were pure desperation.....knowing the defense had no shot if they gave the ball right back.

At least that's what I hope.

I never...EVER again want to see a fake punt triple reverse from their own 20.

conner01

Reaction score
Trying attempts over 50 should be rare and only in very special circumstances like end of half
If Anger is the punter I’d have him kick off unless it’s a watermelon kick lol
90 kickoffs is to many for your FG kicker to be doing unless he’s the only one who can
I really liked our punter last year but he didn’t kickoff
I’m hoping we have many more kickoffs this year and about half as many FG attempts

conner01

Reaction score
I think some of those calls were pure desperation.....knowing the defense had no shot if they gave the ball right back.

At least that's what I hope.

I never...EVER again want to see a fake punt triple reverse from their own 20.
That was a dumb call because of field position and even if you were desperate enough to try it I’d try a better play call
With a healthy oline this year I’m hoping we only try 50 yard FG in very rare cases
If it’s 4th and 5 or less near mid field I’d go for it
Even if it fails you leave the opponent in worse field position than a missed FG

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
It bugs me that we didn't bother to bring in any competition for Greg Zuerlein.

It's May. Let's see what happens at training camp.

I would been down with taking 1 in the draft and signing one as a UDRFA.

One kicker was drafted this year (Bengals). I'm cool with bringing a couple in for camp but there's no need to draft one.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Didn't they not have him practice any kicks longer than 50 yards in camp last year because they said they planned on going for it at that point? Obviously that didn't happen. Hopefully the defense is improved enough that in that situation this year we can just punt it and play for field position.

Creeper

Reaction score
I have always been puzzled that every college team has a kicker and a punter and it seems so hard to find a good one for each of the 32 NFL teams. How many colleges are there? Then you add in soccer players, Aussie Football and so on. Seems like good kickers and punters should be easier to find.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It bugs me that we didn't bother to bring in any competition for Greg Zuerlein. He's 33 and has been kicking for 10 seasons, so his struggles from long range last year may just be a sign he's wearing down.

I guess Dallas is riding with the fact that he made all but one kick inside the 50 (31 of 32), but he was 3 of 9 from 50 and beyond. If we're not going to challenge him in camp, then we need to at least limit our 50-plus-yard attempts this season to end of half/game situations. No use giving the other team great field position if he's likely to miss those kicks.

It irked me that we cut forbash in camp last year.
Dude went 10 for 10 for us prior season.
Should have let them battle it out but:
We like our guys!!!

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
It's May. Let's see what happens at training camp.

One kicker was drafted this year (Bengals). I'm cool with bringing a couple in for camp but there's no need to draft one.
The one the bengals got could be a HoFer no reason to not try and get the best kicker in the draft with a 6th or 7th pick. Low picks rarely last long anyway might as well get the best kicker and create competition. I’m not glued to the idea or anything and waiting for RFA is fine tons of great kickers are found then.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It bugs me that we didn't bother to bring in any competition for Greg Zuerlein. He's 33 and has been kicking for 10 seasons, so his struggles from long range last year may just be a sign he's wearing down.

I guess Dallas is riding with the fact that he made all but one kick inside the 50 (31 of 32), but he was 3 of 9 from 50 and beyond. If we're not going to challenge him in camp, then we need to at least limit our 50-plus-yard attempts this season to end of half/game situations. No use giving the other team great field position if he's likely to miss those kicks.
100% agreed.

Maybe we can find one of them Aussie rugby good kickers to come try out? Or maybe some undrafted, hidden Jr. College FG kicker?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
oh I don’t know, howl old was Eddie Murray when he kicked the game winning FG in OT against the Giants to give us home field advantage in 1993, when Emmitt played with an amputated arm.

There are a lot of older kickers, so you have to look for signs that their legs are falling off. Zuerlein was 6-7 from 50-plus in 2017 and 4-6 in 2018. In 2019, he was 5-7, but 5-11 from 40-49 while playing injured. Last year was his worst season from 50-plus since 2015.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yep.

And handling the KOs will preserve Zeurlein’s leg. He has a great relationship with Fassel, and now his longsnapper is on the team.

He may not be reliable from 50+ out anymore, but anything from 45 or less should be money

It would be funny if the reason we changed long-snappers was because they think Zuerlein can kick better since he's more used to McQaide.

I agree that having someone to kick off will help preserve Zeurlein's leg. I'm just not a fan of failing to bring in competition. We failed to do it with Bailey when he was going downhill and we didn't do it with Maher when it was clear that we needed to. Zuerlein was money on kicks from 49 in, but his struggles from 50-plus might be a further sign that he's slipping.