Gregory, Aldon and Gallimore

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I wasn't knocking the move to sign Griffin, as I thought it would be great move to sign a guy that has resume credentials as a immediate starter while we had two previously DEs that were previously out of NFL for such a long period to be rotation options,
or emergency injury sub starters if needed while Griffin and Dlaw manned the starting roles.

That would have been the perfect scenarios with guys (aldon, gregory) to have lesser toll and chance of hitting a fatigue wall after just returning to the game again.

o_O

I think everyone thought Griffen was a good signing. Props to anyone who predicted he would stink.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Aldon Smith has looked bad for the last month or so. Kind of weird. Maybe we could re-sign him for cheap.

robertfchew

Reaction score
If only the entire world wasn't stacked up against poor Randy he would have be great.

he couldn’t put the crack pipe down. Dude wasn’t just on weed. They have prescription meds that deal with anxiety even if he didn’t want benzos there are other options so either weed is addictive which goes against the narrative or he was on something else which is my theory. Same with josh Gordon

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
This season has been a tough one on many of our players and likely, all of them, to some extent. Aldon Smith did what he could for a while but this season has been a tough one for someone who hasn't been subjected to this sort of a grind for years. I'm hoping he'll be back next year. Let's hope he'll return well in 2021 and ready to compete even better.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
- I would never kick Gregory inside to nickel DT, even in obvious nickel rush downs, he makes his biggest impact when he's on the edge with his great 1st step get off and ability to turn, twist with
a counter move to get inside of tackle shoulder that over-play, over-committ his outside edge move.
Randy is a natural pass rusher and in terms of pure athleticism, is our most athletic pass rusher- and that includes Aldon and Dlaw.

- If anything i'd be more enticed to move DLaw inside to nickel DT,to match him up with OGs, even if it's on stunts and twists, which Marinelli did on occasion.
But I've noticed that this package move is not in DL coach Jim Tomsula's repeitore.

- Aldon is an agile rusher himself and he has unreal power in his extreme long arms and has a host of various rush moves, but I'm not seeing the explosiveness and block shed as I did early in the season. For a guy's that's being asked to start, he's disappeared and too much of a non-factor too often.
I had to worry if its either a low-profile injury that team is down playing, (neck?) or has he hit a physical wall from years of inactivity ?

Just saying I have seen Gregory have success inside this season rushing the passer. Agree, much rather have him rushing off the edge. I think he is an ideal fit for the strong-side LB role in Nolan's scheme.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
You wanna know whats happened to Aldon? He’s now been coached and they keep sticking him inside on passing downs which is idiotic. What the should do is line him up at DE and put Gregory standing up next to him on the outside. That would be a nightmare for QBs.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
i do wonder what may have been if Goody Dell had reinstated Randy Gregory earlier and he hadn't missed virtually a month per post suspension - though he's coming inas rotation -i'm seeing gregory more than i am aldon smith as per his 2 sack game vs Wash. on thanksgiving game

- i dunno what has happened to Aldon Smith who has really cooled off after a hot start that had him with 3 sacks vs seattle , maybe an injury that is being kept on the downlow ..or has he physically hit a wall?
what kind of production will we get from Smith if we do manage to re-sign him ?

- Gallimore had a great game vs Pitts, but has really been on the quiet since. i wonder if he was told not to
work on getting upfield and splitting double more so than just holding his ground vs run , but like the other DTs he has either one solo tackle or no tackles at all, that means not making plays, not making presence felt or showing up.

These guys (along with Trysten Hill) are being counted as supporting help with Dlaw in the very near future. We have to get breakout player. o_O
the NFL is about consistency and then consistency at a high level...

Aldon was out of football for 5 years. expectations were he would start strong, but as season wears on, hits add up and your legs and strength go.....so I am not surprised.

book on gilmore is TBD....has the potential to be a good rotation guy, but needs to play more consistently

quickccc

Reaction score
Just saying I have seen Gregory have success inside this season rushing the passer. Agree, much rather have him rushing off the edge. I think he is an ideal fit for the strong-side LB role in Nolan's scheme.

I've seen Gregory make a counter inside on a rush move to the QB, ….but not seen him actually lined up as a nickel DT inside. it's a difference.

o_O

quickccc

Reaction score
I think everyone thought Griffen was a good signing. Props to anyone who predicted he would stink.

Griffin was poorly used here .. and he'll be poorly used in Detroit where they play a 3-4 scheme. He's not a 3-4 DE.
And we had DEs, standing up, dropping into coverage, flip flopping to both sides on every two-plays, there were times when they got confused when to rush or when to drop in coverage.

Instead of letting Griffin line up do what he did best with Vikes in Zimmer's 4-3 scheme, we tried to make a square peg into a round hole, and be a hybrid which didn't confuse and wreck
havoc on opposing offenses ,.. it just caused our own defense more confusion and wrecked self-havoc upon ourselves.

:confused: