Twitter: Gregory credits Garrett for his comeback

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL.

Most “haters” have acknowledged that players like Garrett and enjoy playing for him. So Gregory saying this is not a surprise to most.

The problem is, sometimes, the good guys like Garrett are just average head coaches.

Results matter. Garrett, for all his popularity, has made the playoffs three times in 9 years and if they don’t win a playoff game this year, he’ll have one win in 9 years.

3 NFCE crowns in 5 years. And two playoff losses that had nothing to do with coaching. If results mattered, popular consensus on Garrett would be about 180 degree different from what it actually is.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, Randy knows he's on thin ice and says what he has to say. Dude knows the meaning of words.

He had exceptionally high SAT scores .

Gregory has a high IQ.

Maybe he’s so smart he recognizes he has a good coach.

HungryLion

Reaction score
3 NFCE crowns in 5 years. And two playoff losses that had nothing to do with coaching. If results mattered, popular consensus on Garrett would be about 180 degree different from what it actually is.

What makes you say that the playoff losses had nothing to do with coaching? Might I ask?

I just don’t understand how the playoff losses had nothing to do with coaching, But the games the team won to make the playoffs, had to do with coaching.

khiladi

Reaction score
Jane Slater using this as evidence why Garrett has a job?

1. First of all, who is Jane Slater to tell us why Garrett still has a job?

2. Secondly, Gregory just quoting sound bites in an interview and giving typical ‘ra ra speech’. “We just work hard everyday like coach tells us too.”

3. The only reason Gregory is still on the team is because Jerry hasn’t released him because of his talent. Half this board a couples weeks back was saying he almost cost them the game a couple weeks ago and should be cut, while the smart guys were saying despite his stupid plays here and there he’s too much of a talent, so you can deal with those brain farts every now and than.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
Jerry has already stated Garrett is a walk around HC whose talent is in dealing with ambiguity well.

Jason isn’t doing anything in reality. He doesn’t call plays and he essentially just claps.

He was allegedly the offensive genius that could call plays and he failed at it. Jerry said they don’t want him on the offensive side of the ball.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Jerry has already stated Garrett is a walk around HC whose talent is in dealing with ambiguity well.

Jason isn’t doing anything in reality. He doesn’t call plays and he essentially just claps.

He’s just won his third NFCE crown with a team that most here feel hs the worst QB play in the league, a RB whose burst is apparently gone, an overrated offensive line, worst tight end play in the league, an erratic kicker, and an overrated defense led by a disappearing Lawrence. Stop me if I missed anything.

Garrett is Houdini!

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score

He was allegedly the offensive genius that could call plays and he failed at it. Jerry said they don’t want him on the offensive side of the ball.

Which is fine...as long as you have smart, creative coordinators.

khiladi

Reaction score
He’s just won his third NFCE crown with a team that most here feel hs the worst QB play in the league, a RB whose burst is apparently gone, an overrated offensive line, worst tight end play in the league, an erratic kicker, and an overrated defense led by a disappearing Lawrence. Stop me if I missed anything.

Garrett is Houdini!

Actually, the Cowboys won the NFCEast crown with a roster pretty much everybody said was talented and it’s only weakness in reality was the QB, and the best running back in the league.

khiladi

Reaction score
Which is fine...as long as you have smart, creative coordinators.

Which was forced from on top by Jerry, contrary to Jason’s wishes. Jerry is protecting Garrett’s job.. if he want family, he’d have been fired long ago.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Which was forced from on top by Jerry, contrary to Jason’s wishes. Jerry is protecting Garrett’s job.. if he want family, he’d have been fired long ago.

He needs better than Linehan, imo.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Actually, the Cowboys won the NFCEast crown with a roster pretty much everybody said was talented and it’s only weakness in reality was the QB..

I guess I dreamed all those other overreactions.

khiladi

Reaction score
He needs better than Linehan, imo.

Linehan is light years better than him. And Linehan is here, because Jerry compromised with Garrett and Jerry didn’t want to change the offense. If Jerry wasn’t attached to Garrett, we would have gone a different offensive route long ago.

khiladi

Reaction score
I guess I dreamed all those other overreactions.

No publications had Cowboys at the bottom ofthe East, while most had them a game behind the Eagles for the division title.

The only people taking about all those things you mentioned were Basically Dak homers on this board trying to make excuses for his garbage play.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
No publications had Cowboys at the bottom ofthe East, while most had them a game behind the Eagles for the division title.

The only people taking about all those things you mentioned were Basically Dak homers on this board trying to make excuses for his garbage play.

I’m not talking about preseason prognostications. I’m talking about the in-season teeth gnashing that consumes this board. Half the roster is supposed to be disposed of on a weekly basis.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What makes you say that the playoff losses had nothing to do with coaching? Might I ask?

I just don’t understand how the playoff losses had nothing to do with coaching, But the games the team won to make the playoffs, had to do with coaching.

Let’s do it the other way, since it’s a debate I’ve already had a thousand times on this site in 2014 and again in 2016. You think we lost those playoff games because of the head coach? Beyond the routine second guessing of plays, what is it that you point to?

khiladi

Reaction score
I’m not talking about preseason prognostications. I’m talking about the in-season teeth gnashing that consumes this board. Half the roster is supposed to be disposed of on a weekly basis.

So am I.. the excuses you mentioned were mainly from homers trying to excuse Dak’s incompetent pay. They’d blame OL play, while Dak was holding onto the ball way too long and kept rolling into pressure and not throwing the ball away. They blame the WRs not getting open and now Dak can’t find Cooper anymore when teams showed more zone and started doubling him.

That being said, I’m not sure what the point is. Garrett has no control over anything. He’s been stripped of playcalling per Jerry himself and Linehan calls the plays. This defense, Jason touches nothing. Jason is great a politics though.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Loved the pick but i cant lie I gave up him a long time ago. Glad he's back

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
So am I.. the excuses you mentioned were mainly from homers trying to excuse Dak’s incompetent pay. They’d blame OL play, while Dak was holding onto the ball way too long and kept rolling into pressure and not throwing the ball away. They blame the WRs not getting open and now Dak can’t find Cooper anymore when teams showed more zone and started doubling him.

I see it from far more than just Dak homers. There are folks who hate Dak and also think Zeke was a wasted pick, for example.

Sydla

Reaction score

One playoff win in 8 full years.

You can’t just blame everyone else for a streak like that.

But you’ll try, for sure.