Twitter: Gregory credits Garrett for his comeback

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
What makes you say that the playoff losses had nothing to do with coaching? Might I ask?

I just don’t understand how the playoff losses had nothing to do with coaching, But the games the team won to make the playoffs, had to do with coaching.
I could take Garrett or leave him. I won't feel all that different either way. But its irritating to hear things like when the Cowboys lose, "Garrett was outcoached ". But when the Cowboys win, there is never even one post saying Garrett outcoached coach X.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Garrett’s words work on young, naive players. That’s why Dez used to be a Garrett fanboy.

I think there is something to this. It's why many believe his style would be better at the college level, where you're coaching 18-22 year olds for 3-4 year windows. Listening to Romo and Witten in the booth now, it seems they appreciate Garrett for what he is but expected more.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
Butler has elite athletic ability and "hasn't been coached" all the way to 79 catches over six NFL seasons.

Amari Cooper has said playing in Dallas is a dream come true. I'll take that over anything Beasley says.

Yet Beasley has been here 6 years and Cooper has been here all of 9 weeks. Suffice it to say Beasley has a far larger sample size to inform his opinion. I’m curious to see how Cooper feels a few years from now.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Haters won’t acknowledge it since it means having been repeatedly wrong on this topic. But the haters have been repeatedly wrong in this topic.

My problem with Garrett has always been his stubborn refusal to move on offensively from 1992 and otherwise adapt in any way. IMHO, Tony Romo was great but could have been SO much better with a little help from his coach, and now, I think the way Garrett insists Dak become a classic drop back passer is the single greatest element holding this team back. I don't think Garrett's anything special as a HC but I'm not clamoring for his firing--unless he again refuses to bring in people to craft an offense that takes advantage of the talent he has. The team won Sunday. The Cowboys are division champs and we should all enjoy that triumph. Yeah, Garrett deserves kudos for turning things around from 3-5. But anyone who has watched the last three or so games and isn't at least a little bit worried about the direction of the team...I think isn't being objective.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Haters won’t acknowledge it since it means having been repeatedly wrong on this topic. But the haters have been repeatedly wrong in this topic.
My main complaint and what I questioned you on was that he never appeared to coach on the sideline. Specifically, he never seemed to talk to anyone. I’ve noticed him doing that much more often and correcting players when they mess up.

I always gave him credit for rebuilding the roster and us not sucking. The Alexander hire was a poor decision, but to his credit he fixed his mistake rather than continuing to fail. Now I’d like if he did something about Linehan.

So I haven’t always not liked him, but was definetly “hating” him early this season and I appear to have been wrong. He’s decent and he’s a big part of us turning our season around.

Tommy

Reaction score
Who the hell cares about motivating players, if it doesnt lead to anything???

U homers and your damn moral victories :facepalm:
Dumb post. You produce a lot of these.

When we lost to the Colts all the crybabies on this board we’re blaming Garrett for not motivating his players.

So now motivating players is pointless. It doesn’t mean anything.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Dumb post. You produce a lot of these.

When we lost to the Colts all the crybabies on this board we’re blaming Garrett for not motivating his players.

So now motivating players is pointless. It doesn’t mean anything.
Look yall, A garrett stan

:lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Tommy

Reaction score
I think there is something to this. It's why many believe his style would be better at the college level, where you're coaching 18-22 year olds for 3-4 year windows. Listening to Romo and Witten in the booth now, it seems they appreciate Garrett for what he is but expected more.
Cool story.

It works on these young naive football players who have been coached at football their entires lives.

But don’t try to pull that nonsense over on internet forum posters. We have watched way too much football on tv fo fall for that.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Let’s do it the other way, since it’s a debate I’ve already had a thousand times on this site in 2014 and again in 2016. You think we lost those playoff games because of the head coach? Beyond the routine second guessing of plays, what is it that you point to?

The team got off to an incredibly slow start against the Packers in 2016. They were not ready to play from the opening snap. I do think that goes on coaching.

I’m not trying to nitpick Garret. And any call that doesn’t work can be second guessed.

The difference in my perspective is that, ultimately, it’s his job for the team to win games. That’s the same for every head coach across the league. It’s a results oriented league. Nobody cares about the means, as long as the ends are what they are supposed to be.

So at the end of the day, without nitpicking individual plays. Garret hasn’t done enough for the team to get past a divisional round to this point.

Obviously it’s a difference in perspective. You clearly think the head coach isn’t that responsible for wins and losses. Which is your right to feel that way.

I feel differently.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The team got off to an incredibly slow start against the Packers in 2016. They were not ready to play from the opening snap. I do think that goes on coaching.

I’m not trying to nitpick Garret. And any call that doesn’t work can be second guessed.

The difference in my perspective is that, ultimately, it’s his job for the team to win games. That’s the same for every head coach across the league. It’s a results oriented league. Nobody cares about the means, as long as the ends are what they are supposed to be.

So at the end of the day, without nitpicking individual plays. Garret hasn’t done enough for the team to get past a divisional round to this point.

Obviously it’s a difference in perspective. You clearly think the head coach isn’t that responsible for wins and losses. Which is your right to feel that way.

I feel differently.

We scored on the opening drive that game. We were driving effectively on the second drive when we got hit with the unsportsmanlike conduct call on Butler for not joining a huddle that wiped out a 25 yard gain and gave us first and 20, effectively killing that drive. It really wasn’t a slow start.

The one tactical mistake I’d grant we made in that game is we tried to substitute defensively for Rodgers no-huddle and the team was so amped we got caught celebrating and gave up a cheap first down. That team was ready to play, and fought its tail off to close the margin. It was the poor coverage and weak rush (on top of an obvious holding call on Irving that went ignored again) that did us in in the end. Which was our Achilles’ Heel back in 2014, as well.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Yet Beasley has been here 6 years and Cooper has been here all of 9 weeks. Suffice it to say Beasley has a far larger sample size to inform his opinion. I’m curious to see how Cooper feels a few years from now.

Sure, fair enough. Cooper could just have "prison release syndrome" escaping Oakland but Beasley has been .... dramatic.... going all the way back to when he quit training camp as a rookie. You also didn't see guys like Deonte Thompson rip the team when he was cut, or Brice Butler say anything even though he has a track record of doing so.