Gregory Rousseau DE Miami . I would pick at 4

timb2

Reaction score
If Penei Sewell is off the board which I believe he could be #3 to the Bengals and with Jets & Jags drafting QBs at 1& 2. I pick the 6-7 ,265 DE from Miami.

REASON - He has only started 1 year and got 15 1/2 sacks in the ACC in 2019. In 2020 , he opted out over Covid and declared. I'm sure his agent has him at a sport training center getting stronger and faster for the Combine.... some former drafts guys with his size and measurables and stats would go 1st overall. Cowboys need a long term answer at RDE. Boys love picking edge rushers early........

cnuball21

Reaction score
Hard pass...one of the most overrated prospects in the draft this year IMO. His stats are inflated. If you watch the tape he gets a handful of coverage sacks and his pressures (40 something)is mediocre at best.

You also never really see him dip and bend around the edge so I think he’s best suited to play inside.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
The only played on year seems to be a Cowboy albatross just waiting to be tied around their necks. How many times has this team taken a guy who, played only one year, didn't start playing football until his senior year in high school, or some such, and had a real stud?

Not for the number 3 or 4 over-all pick.

timb2

Reaction score
He played LDE because Jonathan Garvin is show case himself as a Senior at RDE but Garvin was 245- 255. . Rousseau easily can get to 290 lbs if needed. I grab him. Cowboys been playing with expierments at RDE long enough. Just get the stud... Only other player I would consider at # 4 is Kyle Pitts and I love Pitts. Rousseau I believe is a need pick at DE vs,TE

timb2

Reaction score
Hard pass...one of the most overrated prospects in the draft this year IMO. His stats are inflated. If you watch the tape he gets a handful of coverage sacks and his pressures (40 something)is mediocre at best.

You also never really see him dip and bend around the edge so I think he’s best suited to play inside.
He is 6-7 he doesnt need to dip. He has long arms to ward off the blockers. 40 something pressures is good.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Guys can argue those are coverage sacks. Yeah but he got 15 1/2. That's nothing to sneeze at. He is only going to get better. Guys who can get to the QB are always hot commodities.

I would be much more impressed if he had more than one year of double digit sacks. The idea he's only going to get better is more opinion than fact at this point. Third or fourth over-all pick betting on the come with only one season to judge his talent is what gets this team into trouble.

At #3 I take Sewell, regardless of the clamoring for defense. He is a ten year plus started and a pro bowler like Tyron.

Rework some contracts and get FA inside defensive line. But not bargain basement. The DE's are here now. Draft defense, but make certain your OL is back to being close to the best. Because Dallas plays Washington twice a year and they WILL get better.

timb2

Reaction score
I would be much more impressed if he had more than one year of double digit sacks. The idea he's only going to get better is more opinion than fact at this point. Third or fourth over-all pick betting on the come with only one season to judge his talent is what gets this team into trouble.

At #3 I take Sewell, regardless of the clamoring for defense. He is a ten year plus started and a pro bowler like Tyron.

Rework some contracts and get FA inside defensive line. But not bargain basement. The DE's are here now. Draft defense, but make certain your OL is back to being close to the best. Because Dallas plays Washington twice a year and they WILL get better.

LDE Rousseau also had responsibilities to contain. Garvin RDE can run roughshod after the right handed QBs.( A right handed QB will try to escape to the right or forward because he is lined body for pass vs going to the left ) Rousseau let him go roughshod and see what he can do at RDE......I like Sewell but think he is gone by 3

timb2

Reaction score
The only reason we might not pick Rousseau and I was surprised 2 drafts ago by us drafting 2 Hurricanes( Notice both already gone) because Jerry for over 20 years did not draft a Miami Hurricane after Jimmie Johnson left. I always made my parody mock draft and that was one of my Jerry Jones rules... Jerry still hurts that he doesnt get credit for the 90s team. All of his cooky stuff we have to endure with some bad drafts.

stilltheguru

Reaction score

Hes a project if you think he will redshirt. He wont do a thing next year.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hes a project if you think he will redshirt. He wont do a thing next year.
Thats my big thing with him. He is both raw and wont have played in a year and a half by the time he hits camp. Extremely talented, but Im not spending a top 10, let alone a top 5 on him. I could see him getting leap frogged as the top edge rusher too

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Gregory Rousseau is the classic boom or bust pick. In two years he could be Calais Campbell on the boom side or he could be Taco Charlton on the bust side. I would take him if we trade down to 8 and pick up extra picks. I don’t think he is getting out of the top 6 if he test well at the combine.

cnuball21

Reaction score
He is 6-7 he doesnt need to dip. He has long arms to ward off the blockers. 40 something pressures is good.

So you think he’s going to win in the NFL bull rushing all the time?

There’s a lot more to evaluation than the stat sheet. His tape is not top 15 material.

Hardline

Reaction score
I would trade down. Get extra picks and take Kwity Paye over him and be the better off for it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Penei Sewell is off the board which I believe he could be #3 to the Bengals and with Jets & Jags drafting QBs at 1& 2. I pick the 6-7 ,265 DE from Miami.

REASON - He has only started 1 year and got 15 1/2 sacks in the ACC in 2019. In 2020 , he opted out over Covid and declared. I'm sure his agent has him at a sport training center getting stronger and faster for the Combine.... some former drafts guys with his size and measurables and stats would go 1st overall. Cowboys need a long term answer at RDE. Boys love picking edge rushers early........

I don't see it.

College stats don't translate well to the NFL in terms of differentiating the elite players from the good but not elite players.

The draft is about probabilities and the probability of him being an elite outside pass rusher worth a top 5 picks seems low to me.

It was hard to find snaps of him straight up beating an OT on the outside.

His sacks most often were from beating an OG or OC or from coming back inside against an OT when a QB was trying to step up in the pocket from other pressure.

He is a "length" player and reminds me of a smaller David Irving. He uses his length with very good strength for his size to his advantage but I don't see elite speed/burst.

He has the frame to get bigger but that's not going to make him faster and he probably can't get big enough to play as pass rusher at DT in the NFL.

He should be a good player, but the probability of being worth a top 10 pick just seems too low to me.

Xavier187

Reaction score
I'm passing on him

They are about to give Alton a long term deal and Tank already has one. So when does he play?
Sure he will get back up snaps but for real?
You wanna see Annae Gregory is there with Armstrong. Come on really.

This is a no Brainerd.
Sewell or trade back for Surtain or Horn. Js

cnuball21

Reaction score
I don't see it.

College stats don't translate well to the NFL in terms of differentiating the elite players from the good but not elite players.

The draft is about probabilities and the probability of him being an elite outside pass rusher worth a top 5 picks seems low to me.

It was hard to find snaps of him straight up beating an OT on the outside.

His sacks most often were from beating an OG or OC or from coming back inside against an OT when a QB was trying to step up in the pocket from other pressure.

He is a "length" player and reminds me of a smaller David Irving. He uses his length with very good strength for his size to his advantage but I don't see elite speed/burst.

He has the frame to get bigger but that's not going to make him faster and he probably can't get big enough to play as pass rusher at DT in the NFL.

He should be a good player, but the probability of being worth a top 10 pick just seems too low to me.

All accurate...honestly, I could see him having a Crawford type career.

Solid pro, but definitely not a top 20 pick.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
It will be tough evaluating these prospects who sat out the season, especially if you're picking in the Top-5. I like him and his potential but it's a lot to gamble on the future of your franchise with a cornerstone draft pick.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I don't care about his sack totals, a lot of them took a LOONNNGGGG time to get, and that doesn't really work in the NFL.

I do like a lot about him, just not at #4. Reminds me very much of Randy G.

Side note - anyone who makes a highlight reel of a defensive player and includes plays where the guy is unblocked should be banned from Youtube.