Gregory to apply for reinstatement tomorrow

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
He has probably failed tests already. And then thats another 60 days for him to fail another one. Then you have the issue that he is really just a rookie that hasnt played football in a new years. I wouldnt expect anything out of him or I wouldnt even expect him to be available for the team at all.

But dont let me spoil it for you. :thumbup:
I wouldn't expect you would know what you're talking about seeing as how Gregory hasn't failed a test in almost 2 years but keep throwing made up lies out there

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
A couple of years ago, I could buy into our best pass rusher being a player who hasn't proven it yet. Now, we've got proven pass rushers in Lawrence and Irving. Now, I'd love for Gregory to be better than both of them, but right now, we don't know if he's even better than Charlton.
I know a ton of guys are giving him a hard time on that statement but I think he meant potential best pass rusher. Nobody can deny that Gregory has potential to be the best pass rusher on the team but right now we can't say that. It's just potential at this moment

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
He'll be coming to camp on his rookie contract if reinstated and then if he isn't the answer it will cost very little to release him 258K. If he shows promise he would only have a cap hit of 1.2 mil for the season. Either way it cost very little to see what he's got.

cern

Reaction score
He'll be coming to camp on his rookie contract if reinstated and then if he isn't the answer it will cost very little to release him 258K. If he shows promise he would only have a cap hit of 1.2 mil for the season. Either way it cost very little to see what he's got.
it just makes sense. there is no question he has talent.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Is it really going to happen?

I mean, we've seen the headlines touting Gregory applying for reinstatement for almost two months now.
This.

It's like being teased by the same bartender every Friday and she's yet to go home with you.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
He has probably failed tests already. And then thats another 60 days for him to fail another one. Then you have the issue that he is really just a rookie that hasnt played football in a new years. I wouldnt expect anything out of him or I wouldnt even expect him to be available for the team at all.

But dont let me spoil it for you. :thumbup:
He has some heavy endorsements on his side, one being HOF Cris Carter,, that alone carries some weight.
Don't think Carter would lay his reputation on the line with a false representation of Gregory.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He has some heavy endorsements on his side, one being HOF Cris Carter,, that alone carries some weight.
Don't think Carter would lay his reputation on the line with a false representation of Gregory.

And what endorsement did Carter give?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
And what endorsement did Carter give?
From Mike Fisher
Randy Gregory’s representatives “worked into the weekend,” I’m told, to finalize the suspended Dallas Cowboys player’s bid for NFL reinstatement, with Tuesday as the target date.

They “hope for some good news to give,” one source says, all as a result of two years of passing drug tests and what I’m told is a 2,000-page presentation featuring those test results plus testimony from prominent Dallas Cowboys teammates, industry powerhouses, civic leaders and influential celebrities.

Among those names: Hall-of-Fame receiver Cris Carter, who overcame drug addiction early in his career to eventually become a role model for those with similar struggles -- seemingly including Gregory.

“I have been associated with (Gregory),” Carter says (via his FOX Sports show). “I have been in contact with him over his journey. And I have recently written a letter to the NFL on his behalf, hoping for his reinstatement.”

In addition to the tests and the testimony, the calendar now matters more than ever -- thus the “work into the weekend.” NFL rules call for the commissioner to hand down a judgment within 60 days of receiving an application for reinstatement.

Sources tell me the first goal was to assemble all the testimony (again, not just from assorted teammates like Tyrone Crawford, Sean Lee and Jeff Heath, as has been widely reported, but also from circles of influence that go far beyond the Dallas locker room, and far beyond Carter, too) and to submit it by May 1. The sheer volume of information made that target unreachable.

But the 60-day clock is about to start ticking in this sense: I’m told the Cowboys are scheduled to report to training camp in Oxnard on Wednesday, July 25. That is 71 days out from Tuesday ... meaning no more than an 11-day window between now and the start of the 60-day period.

There is the urgency.

“I have been proud of Randy during this offseason,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says. “I’m very aware of how hard he’s working to get back in the league and get back on the field. We know that his talent level.''

“I don’t want to be presumptuous in any way whether or not he’s going to qualify to be reinstated,'' Jones says, and that is wise. But it is not “presumptuous” to recognize that Dallas is well aware of the calendar. Nor is it “presumptuous” to report on how many those with knowledge of Gregory’s situation -- the former second-round pick hasn’t played since the regular-season finale in 2016, and the league suspended the pass-rusher on January 6, 2017, for at least a year for violating its substance abuse policy -- share his camp’s optimism.

Adds coach Jason Garret: “We’ll go through the process. Any way we can help to support him, we’ll certainly embrace that opportunity. He’s someone that has worked very hard at this and we’re excited about his future.”

It is the plan of the Gregory camp for that "future'' to begin Tuesday ... and for some “good news” to come in the 60 days thereafter.

.......sorry for the tracking encryption BS,, hate that stuff......

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
it just makes sense. there is no question he has talent.

He has possible POTENTIAL talent. So far he has 5 sacks in his 1st two seasons in the NFL. That doesn't translate into sure fire talent. He had a good college career but the list is a mile long of players that were good in college but never equaled that talent in the NFL. We all need to wait and see what happens before anointing him as anything.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I can't shake the feeling that the end result of this will be Zeke getting another six games.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
From Mike Fisher
Randy Gregory’s representatives “worked into the weekend,” I’m told, to finalize the suspended Dallas Cowboys player’s bid for NFL reinstatement, with Tuesday as the target date.

They “hope for some good news to give,” one source says, all as a result of two years of passing drug tests and what I’m told is a 2,000-page presentation featuring those test results plus testimony from prominent Dallas Cowboys teammates, industry powerhouses, civic leaders and influential celebrities.

Among those names: Hall-of-Fame receiver Cris Carter, who overcame drug addiction early in his career to eventually become a role model for those with similar struggles -- seemingly including Gregory.

“I have been associated with (Gregory),” Carter says (via his FOX Sports show). “I have been in contact with him over his journey. And I have recently written a letter to the NFL on his behalf, hoping for his reinstatement.”

In addition to the tests and the testimony, the calendar now matters more than ever -- thus the “work into the weekend.” NFL rules call for the commissioner to hand down a judgment within 60 days of receiving an application for reinstatement.

Sources tell me the first goal was to assemble all the testimony (again, not just from assorted teammates like Tyrone Crawford, Sean Lee and Jeff Heath, as has been widely reported, but also from circles of influence that go far beyond the Dallas locker room, and far beyond Carter, too) and to submit it by May 1. The sheer volume of information made that target unreachable.

But the 60-day clock is about to start ticking in this sense: I’m told the Cowboys are scheduled to report to training camp in Oxnard on Wednesday, July 25. That is 71 days out from Tuesday ... meaning no more than an 11-day window between now and the start of the 60-day period.

There is the urgency.

“I have been proud of Randy during this offseason,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says. “I’m very aware of how hard he’s working to get back in the league and get back on the field. We know that his talent level.''

“I don’t want to be presumptuous in any way whether or not he’s going to qualify to be reinstated,'' Jones says, and that is wise. But it is not “presumptuous” to recognize that Dallas is well aware of the calendar. Nor is it “presumptuous” to report on how many those with knowledge of Gregory’s situation -- the former second-round pick hasn’t played since the regular-season finale in 2016, and the league suspended the pass-rusher on January 6, 2017, for at least a year for violating its substance abuse policy -- share his camp’s optimism.

Adds coach Jason Garret: “We’ll go through the process. Any way we can help to support him, we’ll certainly embrace that opportunity. He’s someone that has worked very hard at this and we’re excited about his future.”

It is the plan of the Gregory camp for that "future'' to begin Tuesday ... and for some “good news” to come in the 60 days thereafter.

.......sorry for the tracking encryption BS,, hate that stuff......

Very glad to hear all of that. I had not seen that. Certainly impressive to see he hasnt failed any tests. However, I am not holding my breath. Gregory claimed the same kinds of things when he was drafted and he let everyone down multiple times. And then we have the 2 year layoff problem. Can this kid stay clean long enough to actually get up to speed and be a difference maker in the NFL? Its hard for me to get my hopes up.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I can provide other links,,, just give me some time,,, I have to find them, of Cris Carter actually being a very big part of RGs recovery program, actually being a role model and friend through his recovery process,, give me a couple days to dig through my research,,, lol,, sorry, it there just real busy right at the moment, but I will revisit this thread, and provide those links.
And I certainly understand the frustration from a fans perspective,, but I'm willing to buy into a potential talent with issues turning the corner when notable and respected players like Carter are endorsing.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I know a ton of guys are giving him a hard time on that statement but I think he meant potential best pass rusher. Nobody can deny that Gregory has potential to be the best pass rusher on the team but right now we can't say that. It's just potential at this moment

We already have one of last year's top pass rushers in the league on the team. Gregory will have to go a long way to be better than Lawrence already is. I understand potential, but it's bold statement considering what we know we've got. I'd be happy to get six to eight sacks from Gregory if he's reinstated. I'd consider that a win.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The NFL is under no obligation to decide within 60 days

Goodell could and has extended the banishment with no explanation and he has also given a limited re-instatement that meant the player could practice but that is it....no games

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
A couple of years ago, I could buy into our best pass rusher being a player who hasn't proven it yet. Now, we've got proven pass rushers in Lawrence and Irving. Now, I'd love for Gregory to be better than both of them, but right now, we don't know if he's even better than Charlton.

Ill chime in on that one. If Gregory actually gets on the field then I would put my money on Gregory over Soft Taco. Even with the long layoff.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Exactly....DAL has control for 3 more cheap seasons

RGregory right now

2015- 435k.......rookie contract year one- 12 games......ACCRUED
2016- 605k.......second contract year- 2 games......DID NOT ACCRUE
2017- 735k.......third contract year- SUSPENDED.....contract tolls
2018- 735k.......third contract year again......Eligible for re-instatement........CAP HIT 1.03m
2019- 955k.......fourth contract year
2020- RFA........2nd round tender

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The NFL is under no obligation to decide within 60 days

Goodell could and has extended the banishment with no explanation and he has also given a limited re-instatement that meant the player could practice but that is it....no games

Yes the league has 60 days to make a determination of reinstatement after the papers have been submitted. goodell extended his suspension after a second failed test while serving his first suspension. goodell can't extend his suspension without cause but he can deny his reinstatement but is unlikely since Gregory hasn't failed any other tests.