Gregory to apply for reinstatement tomorrow

Reaction score
I'll wake up when he actually makes a positive contribution in a real game.

He will peak my interest if he's actually good against the run, which he showed no signs of being at 235 pounds.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He will peak my interest if he's actually good against the run, which he showed no signs of being at 235 pounds.

I think he had 6 solo tackles in his last game against the Eagles.

And I don't need him to do much against the run. If he's a situational pass rusher this year, it's a huge win.

He needs 3 league years before he's a free agent.

Jerry will be beside himself if he gets both Jaylon and Gregory on the field. People like to whine when he swings for the fences. Will they cheer if he hits them both out of the park?

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
You'd be crazy not to be excited about Gregory. The guy was a top 5 talent in his draft.

Sure, he might flop after a couple years not playing football. But he's motivated, apparently been working out, he's likely put on muscle and weight, and he's talented as all get out.

We should be looking at this like Gregory's rookie season. An unknown ceiling and an unknown floor. But the idea of that possible ceiling is awfully exciting.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
People like to whine when he swings for the fences. Will they cheer if he hits them both out of the park?

The gamble on the players is to get a top 5 talent. Right now, just getting them on the field is considered an accomplishment. They need to become great players to justify the gamble.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
If he gets reinstated, he's going to have one hell of a party - I bet the whole team will be invited.
Hopefully they passed their yearly drug test last week and are good to go for the rest of the year

Otherwise they will get tested in July during TC....either way they are good until late June

Iago33

Reaction score
No goodell can't extend it without cause. He has 60 days to make a determination and he can either reinstate him or deny his restatement but that is unlikely because Gregory hasn't failed another test. goodell can't change the NFL by-laws just because he wants to. If goodell does not reinstate Gregory I suspect there will be legal action taken because Gregory displayed he has lived up to the conditions needed to get reinstated. I'm not sure why you think that goodell can just make up when he decides but that's not the case.
It's an indefinite suspension. You can't extend indefinite.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The gamble on the players is to get a top 5 talent. Right now, just getting them on the field is considered an accomplishment. They need to become great players to justify the gamble.

The gamble on Jaylon was over his ability to recover. He has already recovered enough to justify the pick. We got at minimum a two thirds discount on a top 5 pick in terms of draft value and salary.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The gamble on Jaylon was over his ability to recover. He has already recovered enough to justify the pick. We got at minimum a two thirds discount on a top 5 pick in terms of draft value and salary.

A high 2nd round pick is supposed to be producing from day 1 and most are expected to start. This going to be his 3rd year and he's nowhere close to living up to a high 2nd round pick yet. Last season he had a couple of nice plays but the majority of the time he was out of position, slow to react, if he was in coverage he was 3 steps behind who he was supposed to cover, he missed to many tackles. To justify using that high 2nd round pick Smith would need to be an All Pro this season to make up for all the time he missed and the extremely spotty play when he did play and we all know that isn't going to happen. Until he is an All Pro he will be a wasted pick.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I disagree. The gamble of not having him play at all, was that if he did recover, he was a top 5 talent. He needs to play like a top 5 talent to justify the pick. You don't gamble a premium pick for a JAG. You can pick those up in the late rounds and UDFA. As is, he may have been on the sidelines for the team's best shot at actually winning something. We'll see if that good of an opportunity comes around again.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
A high 2nd round pick is supposed to be producing from day 1 and most are expected to start. This going to be his 3rd year and he's nowhere close to living up to a high 2nd round pick yet. Last season he had a couple of nice plays but the majority of the time he was out of position, slow to react, if he was in coverage he was 3 steps behind who he was supposed to cover, he missed to many tackles. To justify using that high 2nd round pick Smith would need to be an All Pro this season to make up for all the time he missed and the extremely spotty play when he did play and we all know that isn't going to happen. Until he is an All Pro he will be a wasted pick.

Smith has only 1 league year tallied. He needs 3 more to become a free agent. Last year was effectively his rookie season. 50 Tackles. A little less than Hitchens, who tallied 55, and everyone raved about. That would have been a fine rookie season for a healthy 34th pick.

The bold part is just delusional. All Pros don't grow on trees.

NorthoftheRedRiver

Reaction score
If reinstated, he'll bump out others for that position and then probably be suspended again during the season. I'm all for redemption and hope he gets his life straightened out. But, I think he ran out of strikes as a Cowboys player some time ago.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I disagree. The gamble of not having him play at all, was that if he did recover, he was a top 5 talent. He needs to play like a top 5 talent to justify the pick. You don't gamble a premium pick for a JAG. You can pick those up in the late rounds and UDFA. As is, he may have been on the sidelines for the team's best shot at actually winning something. We'll see if that good of an opportunity comes around again.

Jaylon was consensus top 5 when we picked him. Consensus top 5 is far from *guaranteed* top 5.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll wake up when he actually makes a positive contribution in a real game.

That gets lost in the shuffle. He really wasn't impressive in the little he played.

I wish I could find a crap to give about this. I just don't care.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Prior to be injured,yes. So far, shell of his former self. Bad pick so far. Actually, horrible pick so far.
Not even close to horrible...... a horrible 2nd round pick gets cut

a horrible 2nd round pick only plays STs

Jaylon has already far exceeded those levels.......he had the same numbers as our 45m ex LB Hitchens

The pick has already paid off and it now about to explode in value

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Not even close to horrible...... a horrible 2nd round pick gets cut

a horrible 2nd round pick only plays STs

Jaylon has already far exceeded those levels.......he had the same numbers as our 45m ex LB Hitchens

The pick has already paid off and it now about to explode in value
Let's hope.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If reinstated, he'll bump out others for that position and then probably be suspended again during the season.

That's a realistic fear. I'm not sure how solid the evidence is that he stayed clean while out, and even if he had, it's reasonable to think he'd slip again.

This year, at least, he's extra if he plays. We shouldn't count on him til he gets through a couple of seasons clean.

But it's not like we'd be dropping Reggie White to keep him. We picked up Ealy for nothing. Last 53 roster I saw, Tapper was projected gone. Congentical bad back who can't make the field.

If we really have just too many wonderful young DEs, I can live with cutting Crawford too.

I think he's more than worth the risk of a roster spot. If our 54 is half as good as Gregory, we've got ourselves a fantastic team.