Griner sentenced to 9 years

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by Silver Surfer, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

3,446 Messages
    6,928 Likes Received
  2. JohnnyTheFox

JohnnyTheFox Achilleslastand

8,533 Messages
    16,298 Likes Received
    They always used to tell us at Camp Pendleton if you into Mexico/Tijuana and get into trouble and thrown in jail there is literally nothing we can do. Their Country/their rules.

Montanalo, chagus, ShortRound and 3 others like this.
  3. paladin

paladin Well-Known Member

628 Messages
    984 Likes Received
    Meh
    Self-inflicted problem.

4. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

13,186 Messages
    8,548 Likes Received
    Ironic she now has to beg the country she disrespected to save her from her horrible decisions…

5. zrinkill

zrinkill Cowboy Fan

42,231 Messages
    17,463 Likes Received
    I want to post a quote from her ........ but I wont

Hope she eventually gets back safely, and learns to appreciate the USA

6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

31,475 Messages
    13,591 Likes Received
    Not sure why any American would go to Russia.
    BG really should have picked a different country for her international basketball.

As it's obviously excessive hopefully she can be returned inside a year from now.

7. darthseinfeld

darthseinfeld 26 years of 26 years

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    27,288 Messages
    30,322 Likes Received
    There's the saying "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" She won her stupid prize even before sentencing.

8. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

33,791 Messages
    36,363 Likes Received
    paladin, DFWJC and Jammer like this.
  9. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

16,898 Messages
    28,978 Likes Received
    All efforts should be made in bringing the jailed Marine home. I'm not going to exchange a singe Russian prisoner for the basketball freakshow.

paladin, justbob and JohnnyTheFox like this.
  10. Silver Surfer

3,446 Messages
    6,928 Likes Received
    Which, in all probability, she had been doing for years without incident. Do you really believe this was the first time she brought drugs into and out of the USSR? The difference this time was that Putin wanted to use her as a means of embarassing or punishing the US for its support of the Ukraine.... its not that hard to figure out.

I'm not really that sympathetic her situation. I think people from our country are ignorant and often act entitled when they visit other countries, especially the famous and wealthy who've been able to get away with lawlessness in our country. They often think their status follows them around the globe, which it might have for many years.... but in this case, the situation changed and Griner was oblivious to the risk she was exposing herself to.

Flamma likes this.
  11. terra

terra Well-Known Member

1,953 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    stupid is as stupid does. She was always a thug and finally gets whats coming to her.

Robbieac likes this.
  12. Silver Surfer

3,446 Messages
    6,928 Likes Received
    Gee... Its almost as if some of you guys just don't like her personally. :D

13. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

10,741 Messages
    10,370 Likes Received
    The Russians teams pay very well. That is why most to of the Americans go over there to play.

jterrell likes this.
  14. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

31,475 Messages
    13,591 Likes Received
    Definitely makes sense but I'd sure take a lot less to play in Spain or Italy.

15. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

10,741 Messages
    10,370 Likes Received
    True but it’s hard with what they offer you to turn it down. I think they pay the most

16. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

33,791 Messages
    36,363 Likes Received
    Then she shouldn't have been doing it for years.

paladin likes this.
  17. terra

terra Well-Known Member

1,953 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Greed. Leads to stupidity and many other things.

kskboys likes this.
  18. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

39,560 Messages
    9,710 Likes Received
    Sucks for her and the punishment is absolutely ridiculous but when you go to another country you play by their rules.

Her sentence is obviously more political than it is just. You won't convince me that Russians are treated the same way with their drug policies.

Guess that's why you shouldn't travel to countries that are ruled by a dictator. It kinda sucks.

JoeyBoy718 and DFWJC like this.
  19. Montanalo

Montanalo Well-Known Member

3,360 Messages
    8,992 Likes Received
    Full disclosure: I lived and worked in Russia shortly after the breakup up of the FSU, married a Russian (that had previously immigrated to Canada) and, at least until the Russian Ukrainian war, traveled to Russia every few years to see family.

Now, do I belive BG is a pawn in the greater Russian/US politics? Without question.

Do I think 9+ years is harsh punishment for her crime? Yes. However, it is not an outlier in the Russian judicial system.

Do I think she was unlawfully detained? No. She was carrying banned drugs and admitted to doing so. She broke the law.

Do I think she accidentally packed the banned items. No, but that is purely speculation on my part. I know when I travel to Russia (or, any other country for that matter), all medications are packed in their original containers and I am careful not to pack any banned items. I even leave my non-THC CBD ointment at home over concerns it may trigger questions from border officials.

I have mixed views on the US government's response to BG's situation. First, I believe they are playing directly into Putin's hands. Second, we have other US citizens detained elsewhere overseas. Where is the US government response to them?

20. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

10,741 Messages
    10,370 Likes Received
    Yup

kskboys likes this.