Gruden resigning as Raiders coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

fivetwos

Reaction score
He could’ve said much much more.
Obviously I didn't read them yet but this may very well have been a case where less is more. If what I'm hearing is true there's nothing he could have said to excuse it and not make it worse.

I'm kinda shocked. Not that he was a great guy, but that people still act this way.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Obviously I didn't read them yet but this may very well have been a case where less is more. If what I'm hearing is true there's nothing he could have said to excuse it and not make it worse.

I'm kinda shocked. Not that he was a great guy, but that people still act this way.
Yeah I was shocked by what he said.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
i wonder if they fire him if he was 5-0?

it's basically why Urban Meyers during Press Conferences is talking about how the team is desperate to win while Lawrence talks about being desperate for wins is a bad mindset.
Yes, they would have. This is culture outrage. You can't survive culture outrage with a winning record.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Why were those emails released now? Is the WAS investigation still going, if not, how long was it over?

That investigation wrapped up recently. The NFL sent the emails to the Raiders Organization to review first.

One that leaked early was an email with Gruden describing a physical trait of the NFL Players Union that was an obvious decades old racist description. (Search if you want to know more). Gruden insisted it was confusion because he described people like that all the time who were liars, and it just happened to also be a racist description. Poor explanation, but it’s what he went with to his players.

Now apparently the rest of the emails are being revealed. I don’t know all the details but everything from the blatant racist description, to name calling the commissioner. Apparently Gruden was very upset with the strike at the time and sent these angry emails to the powers that be that also were involved in the lawsuit against the Skins for a hostile work environment.

NotForLong

Reaction score
The thing that sucks about a lot of internet places, with the exception of here and a lot of furry forums (because we furries are tight knit, and a lot of us area easily able to identify most other furries online). The internet allows for a lot of anonymity. Thus, a lot of people sadly seem to forget the manners (also something lacking in society) that one would normally have in civil discourse. That's what it really boils down to. Manners. If it wouldn't be said face to face, it shouldn't be said on the internet. As a furry and someone who is Catholic and bisexual/gay, I'm not sure why some seem to feel the need to say repugnant things about groups of people. We need to be much nicer to be each other in society.
Milo . . . I thought that was you

Reaction score
Gruden thought a lot of stupid things. Putting those thoughts in emails is even more stupid.

He should have known that being such a high profile personality, it was just a matter of time before this stuff comes out.

When the internet is involved, there is no such thing as privacy.

Last edited:

Plankton

Reaction score
What's their deal with wanting to suspend him? Why did the league not want to?

It's not that they didn't want to - it's two things. One, they always would prefer the teams to discipline their own employees if possible. The second is that since Gruden was not an employee of the NFL when these emails were sent, legally, any discipline could be challenged.

Status
Not open for further replies.