Guys, it is just a game.

aquavita

Reaction score
Some of the comments I read here just make me sad. Words like 'disgusted, knucklehead, hate' etc.

I've been a Cowboys fan for 26 years, but I never let myself get hateful of these young men out there playing to entertain us. That's the key word, entertainment. It is not war, it is not life and death. When the Cowboys lose, you would think that world war 3 has launched, based on what is seen around here.

I'm just trying to remind you that when you're making fun of, or feeling hatred for these guys, they are still people too. You mess up at your own job and have bad days just like they do, yet you are not under intense international scrutiny for all of your mistakes. Keep that in mind.

I just wanted to change the pace a bit, and suggest that people relax a little. Even if it is not our season this year, the Cowboys will return again one day. Just try to not have a massive coronary before then. :) :starspin :starspin :starspin

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Wrong. It's a billion dollar business with anti-trust protection. Pop Warner football is "just a game."

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
I think I need to be held now, after reading that post.

Someone hold Dallas

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
Didn't you watch Michael Irvin's HOF speech, and the paver the zone bought?
"Don't tell me it's just a game" comes to mind.

I do know what you are saying though, I never let feelings and disappointment go past game day.

tunahelper

Reaction score
aquavita;2403765 said:
Some of the comments I read here just make me sad. Words like 'disgusted, knucklehead, hate' etc.

I've been a Cowboys fan for 26 years, but I never let myself get hateful of these young men out there playing to entertain us. That's the key word, entertainment. It is not war, it is not life and death. When the Cowboys lose, you would think that world war 3 has launched, based on what is seen around here.

I'm just trying to remind you that when you're making fun of, or feeling hatred for these guys, they are still people too. You mess up at your own job and have bad days just like they do, yet you are not under intense international scrutiny for all of your mistakes. Keep that in mind.

I just wanted to change the pace a bit, and suggest that people relax a little. Even if it is not our season this year, the Cowboys will return again one day. Just try to not have a massive coronary before then. :) :starspin :starspin :starspin

It's just a game, huh?
Hurry lets mob him!

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
aquavita;2403765 said:

New to the world of message boards huh?

:laugh2:

Eskimo

Reaction score
I do think there has been a monumental let-down given preseason expectations of another Lombardi.

I never expected that but did hope for it. I'm more just disappointed that obvious problems weren't corrected in the offseason (weakness at ILB) and a potential strength of the team was destroyed for a future sixth rounder (trading Fergy away for next to nothing when he could give us a true NT).

Most of all, I'm just disappointed that I don't think we're winning another championship until JJ dies given his reluctance to bring in a proper GM who would set a proper organizational philosophy which we stick to.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
aquavita;2403765 said:

That's the speach I use on my soccer parents. Difference is the kids aren't making millions and costing me bets.:D

aquavita

Reaction score
panchucko;2403788 said:
"Don't tell me it's just a game" comes to mind.

I know to those guys who leave their heart on the field that it can often help them find meaning in their lives, but leave it those guys to do that. We as fans shouldn't let ourselves start developing ulcers and other things just because the Cowboys aren't doing as well as we like.

Life is all about ups and downs. The Cowboys will have ups soon enough, I'm sure.

Most of all, I'm just disappointed that I don't think we're winning another championship until JJ dies given his reluctance to bring in a proper GM who would set a proper organizational philosophy which we stick to.

I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand I'm not sure it's really a GM problem, as we have exceptional talent on this team. On the other hand, I'm being increasingly convinced that coaching really is a problem on this team. And the GM does play a part in that, certainly. I don't know. I guess we will find out the next step after this season!

skinsscalper

Reaction score
aquavita;2403765 said:

I agree that it's just a game. I also agree that it's a multi billion dollar business and some accountability is in order to a bunch of people who make more in one contract than the entirety of this board may make in their lifetime (ok maybe a couple of contracts).

But the problem isn't whether or not it's a game, or whether those that play it are accountable. What the entire firestorm stems from is the emotional (and often financial) investment that so many fans have in this thing we call the Dallas Cowboys. For some it's much, much more than a game. It's an ideology. Hell, to some it's a freaking THEOLOGY! It's a way of life for some of us. That may sound over the top, but it's the God's honest truth. Some of us live and die with the successes and failures that occur between September and January (sometimes, fortunately February).

The whole "it's just a game" mantra, that many of us get from friends and family, falls on deaf ears to someone who wraps themselves in the cloth of the Dallas Cowboys. It's more than just a game to some of us *******it! (apologies to those offended by the term)

I ended a post the other day during the game that pretty much sums up my feelings about the Dallas Cowboys and I think it holds true with a few on this board. It's basically this: I love this team so damn much that sometimes it makes me hate them even more. Is that pathetic? To some it may be. But, I've enveloped myself in this team since I was 9 years old. 27 years later not much has changed.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I'm with you, aquavita.

Just speaking for myself, I never expect us to win any game, except against the true dregs of the league. I'm happy when we win and disappointed when we lose, but mostly I just enjoy getting ready for and watching our games each week of the season.

The time that really sucks is the last day of the season for us, when there's no more football for seven months. :(

Big Dakota

Reaction score
aquavita;2403765 said:

This will not end well.;)

aquavita

Reaction score
skinsscalper;2403808 said:
I agree that it's just a game. I also agree that it's a multi billion dollar business and some accountability is in order to a bunch of people who make more in one contract than the entirety of this board may make in their lifetime (ok maybe a couple of contracts).

But the problem isn't whether or not it's a game, or whether those that play it are accountable. What the entire firestorm stems from is the emotional (and often financial) investment that so many fans have in this thing we call the Dallas Cowboys. For some it's much, much more than a game. It's an ideology. Hell, to some it's a freaking THEOLOGY! It's a way of life for some of us. That may sound over the top, but it's the God's honest truth. Some of us live and die with the successes and failures that occur between September and January (sometimes, fortunately February).

The whole "it's just a game" mantra, that many of us get from friends and family, falls on deaf ears to someone who wraps themselves in the cloth of the Dallas Cowboys. It's more than just a game to some of us *******it! (apologies to those offended by the term)

I ended a post the other day during the game that pretty much sums up my feelings about the Dallas Cowboys and I think it holds true with a few on this board. It's basically this: I love this team so damn much that sometimes it makes me hate them even more. Is that pathetic? To some it may be. But, I've enveloped myself in this team since I was 9 years old. 27 years later not much has changed.

I don't think anything you said is pathetic, but keep in mind about salaries for these guys: Yes it's a lot of money to you and me but it's only a fraction compared to the amount they bring in for the owners and the league itself.

Chris Rock said it best: Shaq is rich....the white guy who signs his check is wealthy.

The time that really sucks is the last day of the season for us, when there's no more football for seven months.

I agree 100%. Other sports just don't compare and it's SO BORING along those lines waiting for something to happen untill the season starts.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
aquavita;2403765 said:

Welcome to our planet.

Yes, they are people too, those players.
Unlike us, though, they've been coddled since junior high school.
They've largely gotten a free pass on academics.
Traveled in high school, college and the pros to games and given the best medical care our money can buy.
They eat well and are worshipped by many.
They command millions in salaries and can endorse any produce and often get free cars, clothes, watches, sneakers, etc.
They are physcially intimidating and have agents, lawyers, personal assistants, personal trainers and rehabbers. And dietitians. Oh, and accountants.
Yes, they are people too.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Big Dakota;2403815 said:
This will not end well.;)

It's called "deliberately trying to lower fans' expectations." Good luck with that.

aquavita

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2403818 said:
Welcome to our planet.

Yes, they are people too, those players.
Unlike us, though, they've been coddled since junior high school.
They've largely gotten a free pass on academics.
Traveled in high school, college and the pros to games and given the best medical care our money can buy.
They eat well and are worshipped by many.
They command millions in salaries and can endorse any produce and often get free cars, clothes, watches, sneakers, etc.
They are physcially intimidating and have agents, lawyers, personal assistants, personal trainers and rehabbers. And dietitians. Oh, and accountants.
Yes, they are people too.

Yes, they really are. You're being sarcastic but nothing you say changes anything. These are people who cry, lose their family members, and in some extreme cases, harm themselves or committ suicide. We've all heard stories of celebrities and such killing themselves despite having every opportunity and advantage.

Perhaps there is more to the story? Money fame and a free ride do not guarantee or equal happiness for anyone.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I get disappointed with losses, and sometime upset with knucklehead mistakes, but I've never lost any sleep over a loss and I've never had my life be way better simply because Dallas won.

I'm happy when they lose, I'm disappointed when they lose, but it never goes beyond that.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2403829 said:
I get disappointed with losses, and sometime upset with knucklehead mistakes, but I've never lost any sleep over a loss and I've never had my life be way better simply because Dallas won.

I'm happy when they lose, I'm disappointed when they lose, but it never goes beyond that.

Yer happy when they lose?:D

Decleater101

Reaction score
JUST A GAME???

You sir, are in need of some serious mental evaluation. Nothing personal.

One of the great quotes of all time:

"Some people look upon football as a life-and-death situation. I assure you, it's much more serious than that!"