Pet loss thread

1LoyalCowboyFan

Reaction score
I had to put down my little Chihuahua / Scottie mix today. She went from running 100mph a few days ago to severe kidney failure today and then gone. Gonna miss that little sweet dog. I'm not looking for sympathy, I just wondered if anyone wants to talk about the dog they miss. I can't believe how a dog can become such a family member, but it's true. I'm taking shots right now to deal with the pain.

man I’m really sorry. I have my first dog. I can’t imagine that. Yes, they become family. Hang in there.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I taught my dog to shut the door behind him, but it wasn't a slider. The way I did it was I opened the door and let him watch me put a treat behind it. I made him wait until I said, "Close the door, and pointed to it." I did this with the door farther and farther open, until he learned what I wanted him to do. He was a very smart dog, so it only took about 10 minutes. Maybe you can use that idea somehow?

I will definitely give this a whirl. Thanks!
Thanks, hold that one tight. It goes fast.

Isn't that the truth. Feels like just few years ago I got my Samoyed, Glacier. (Story time! lol) I remember having to drive something like 70 miles away to go get her. I brought this little box to put her in for the trip back. I show up to the house and here comes my new pup and she is way bigger than I was anticipating. haha This box isn't going to hold her. I do the transaction with the family and then get ready for my trip back. I put her in the back of the car and of course she is excited. I start driving and for the first like 5-10 miles she is all over the place. Back seat, jump to the front seat, jumping up on me, just all over. I'm thinking, "Great. This is going to be the longest trip back ever!". So this song comes on, and instantly out of nowhere, she jumps in my lap, and lays there calm and still. I literally repeated that track the entire way back, just to be safe, as she seemed to be calmed by it. I REALLY wish I could remember what track it was. You would think I would remember, having had played it over 20 times, but that was in 2008. For some reason I just can't quite put my finger on what it was. Maybe for good reason.

aria

Reaction score
I had to put down my little Chihuahua / Scottie mix today. She went from running 100mph a few days ago to severe kidney failure today and then gone. Gonna miss that little sweet dog. I'm not looking for sympathy, I just wondered if anyone wants to talk about the dog they miss. I can't believe how a dog can become such a family member, but it's true. I'm taking shots right now to deal with the pain.
Sorry to hear this bud. I’ve lost a few pets over the years, most recently my 21 year old cat, and it’s never easy. Those guys are always there for you when you come home, a familiar face that love you unconditionally. I’ve cried like a baby every time one of them has died yet I’m very unemotional with much worse things I’ve seen or dealt with in my life.

Keep your head up and when you’re ready, save another life. I now have two more kitties since my other one died a few months ago and they’re a lot of fun to have around.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this bud. I’ve lost a few pets over the years, most recently my 21 year old cat, and it’s never easy. Those guys are always there for you when you come home, a familiar face that love you unconditionally. I’ve cried like a baby every time one of them has died yet I’m very unemotional with much worse things I’ve seen or dealt with in my life.

Keep your head up and when you’re ready, save another life. I now have two more kitties since my other one died a few months ago and they’re a lot of fun to have around.
Thanks, man. Sorry about your cat and wow on it making it to 21! Nice long life for a pet.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
I had to put down my shepard mix of 14 years on 9 Sep. Great, great dog. Miss him very much. He just loved to be around his people and go on car rides. Two months later, it's still tough. He was a rescue and I think he was very thankful for us taking him in and gave us way more in return than we gave him. Dogs are the best.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I had to put down my shepard mix of 14 years on 9 Sep. Great, great dog. Miss him very much. He just loved to be around his people and go on car rides. Two months later, it's still tough. He was a rescue and I think he was very thankful for us taking him in and gave us way more in return than we gave him. Dogs are the best.
Sorry to hear that. I'm still not dealing with it very well. I keep wondering if I missed some signs that she was sick and could have saved her if I had taken her to the vet sooner.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I'm still not dealing with it very well. I keep wondering if I missed some signs that she was sick and could have saved her if I had taken her to the vet sooner.
Dec 2016 we had to put down our beagle of 8 years...he was 12. He had cancer. Same feeling on the signs. We took him to the vet regularly, but we thought the same thing....what if. Can't do that to yourself. If you loved your animal and gave them the best possible care...life happens. Love them....grieve them...never forget them. They know you did the best for them.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

What's up Brother? Sorry to hear about your dog. Yeah, I'm not too far from having to do that myself. When the kids were young, we went out and got a dog because the kids and my Wife wanted one. I grew up with dogs, mostly hunting dogs or hounds but the kids were still small and they all wanted a dog. So...... of we go to find a dog. Ended up finding one, little pup with a bunch of energy. There were about 6 or 8 pups in a little area and mostly they were all sleeping but not this one. She ran up to the edge of the little fence and was yapping and jumping and wagging her tail so she kinda picked us, so to speak. Off we went with a new little dog. That was 18 years ago and the kids are all gone now but she is still here. She's had a long life and I don't expect she will make it through another winter so I don't think it will be long but just, I guess, telling you that I do understand.

ABQ

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What's up Brother? Sorry to hear about your dog. Yeah, I'm not too far from having to do that myself. When the kids were young, we went out and got a dog because the kids and my Wife wanted one. I grew up with dogs, mostly hunting dogs or hounds but the kids were still small and they all wanted a dog. So...... of we go to find a dog. Ended up finding one, little pup with a bunch of energy. There were about 6 or 8 pups in a little area and mostly they were all sleeping but not this one. She ran up to the edge of the little fence and was yapping and jumping and wagging her tail so she kinda picked us, so to speak. Off we went with a new little dog. That was 18 years ago and the kids are all gone now but she is still here. She's had a long life and I don't expect she will make it through another winter so I don't think it will be long but just, I guess, telling you that I do understand.

ABQ
18 years??? Wow, that's a good run!!

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score

ABQ
I appreciate it man. Hoping for the best for yours.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I appreciate it man. Hoping for the best for yours.

Whatever happens, it will be for the best. I'll be mostly like you I expect, sad to see her go but, I know it will be for the best. I'm glad that you had the opportunity to have a good dog, to be able to enjoy that part of life with a good dog. I'm glad for me too, everybody doesn't get that opportunity. After a time, maybe you find another, who knows?

Chin up Brother.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Liotta Eyes. I have had to do it twice in my lifetime and understand what you are going through. Dogs are incredible creatures and truly a gift bestowed upon us by a higher authority. Their unwavering loyalty, affection and friendship are a true blessing to anyone who is fortunate enough to have had the experience. I can't imagine what life would be like without sharing it with a dog.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Liotta Eyes. I have had to do it twice in my lifetime and understand what you are going through. Dogs are incredible creatures and truly a gift bestowed upon us by a higher authority. Their unwavering loyalty, affection and friendship are a true blessing to anyone who is fortunate enough to have had the experience. I can't imagine what life would be like without sharing it with a dog.
Thanks man. Dogs are awesome and I'm glad to still have the other one. He's been depressed since this happened and I'm doing my best to cheer him up.

RodeoJake

Reaction score

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm facing the same thing with my mini weenie dog. We've been together over 16.5 years. She was supposed to be someone else's dog but she adopted me.

She's 18 weak and blind. She struggles to walk and I have to carry her in and out of the house. I just ain't ready to say goodbye.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss. I'm facing the same thing with my mini weenie dog. We've been together over 16.5 years. She was supposed to be someone else's dog but she adopted me.

She's 18 weak and blind. She struggles to walk and I have to carry her in and out of the house. I just ain't ready to say goodbye.
Thanks man and sorry to hear your little one is near the end.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I understand where you're coming from, but if she's hurting more often than not, you need to think about it from her perspective.