CFZ Half empty glass thinking when we don't know

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK, I get it. Bad way to lose a playoff game and it wasn't the first time the Cowboys got bounced so there is that "here we go again" attitude but why go to the negative side when we really don't know about several players that will be asked to step up?

This negative vibe so early in the year is not healthy. Don't give into the dark side so quickly and throw in the towel before the draft happens.

What don't we know?

Steele at RT full time unless they go after an OT.
Whomever at LG because that will not be McGovern because they already tried that.
Elliott healthy because he wasn't last season. Shades of Emmitt when they thought he was done and he played on a bad ankle all year. Bad wheels on a RB is not good.
Pollard's contribution because I think that is increasing.
Lamb as the #1WR. They thought he might struggle at OU when Brown left for the NFL and he was better than Brown. And the QB seems to like Lamb and Gallup, along with Schultz, as his favorite targets.
Gallup asking to be more, do more than he has been asked to do before. And he's saying all the right things. He is a very good WR, the only question is the timing of his 100% return.
The #3 WR is not on the team yet.
The effect of McC and Moore being put on the spot because the offense fizzled at the end.

Parsons soph year and how he is implemented in the defense because what we do know is that Quinn stayed. We do know this is a very special player and he's becoming a leader.
The DL is not complete, we do know this.
What the LB corps is going to look like.
The secondary is incomplete but it led the NFL in picks in 2021 and Diggs is still improving.
What players from the D heavy 2021 draft are ready to take the next step because we didn't get to see enough of them.

We do not know what the East is going to look like but I like the Cowboys chances with Jones, Wentz and Hurts as the other QB's. You might be disappointed by the lack of action in FA with the Cowboys but what have the others done to improve?

My point is why just default to the negative when we don't know?

What we do know.

This coaching staff and team went 12-6, swept the East by 20ppg and yes, they only went 6-5 outside the division but that was last year, not this year.

There are reasons to be positive and negative, the choice is yours but with so little known at this time, why not give yourself a break and at least hang in the middle until you do know more. At least give yourself until the draft.

morasp

Reaction score
Potential areas of improvement include a second year jump for a lot of last years rookies and probably some contributions from our first three draft picks this year. I'll withhold judgement until free agency and the draft is over. But if we start the season as the team with the 7th most salary cap space I'll be extremely disappointed.

Creeper

Reaction score
First, last year's team and accomplishments are irrelevant now. They and the rest of the league are 0-0 and have won nothing yet.

This team is clearly worse for losing Collins, Cooper and Gregory. The Cowboys are clearly sticking to the philosophy of not signing tier 1 free agents so the replacements for the guys they lost will be rookies or low priced inferior players. The Cowboys are already pumping up Basham, Armstrong and Golston as DEs to replace Gregory. This is what we know we are going to be in 2022. The glass isn't half empty, it is well below the halfway park. There has been a talent drain in Dallas this offseason. We should expect the worst when the games begin.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I'm hoping the team is high on Ball based on what they saw of him. When you cut one OT for less cap benefit than a team normally gets for cutting a starter and that OT also has position flex at OG (and you desperately need an OG) and your other OT is pretty much a guarantee to miss 3 plus games you better have more than a young guy like Steele who may be good but we still don't know for sure in your back pocket

fivetwos

Reaction score
OK, I get it. Bad way to lose a playoff game and it wasn't the first time the Cowboys got bounced so there is that "here we go again" attitude but why go to the negative side when we really don't know about several players that will be asked to step up?

This negative vibe so early in the year is not healthy. Don't give into the dark side so quickly and throw in the towel before the draft happens.

What don't we know?

Steele at RT full time unless they go after an OT.
Whomever at LG because that will not be McGovern because they already tried that.
Elliott healthy because he wasn't last season. Shades of Emmitt when they thought he was done and he played on a bad ankle all year. Bad wheels on a RB is not good.
Pollard's contribution because I think that is increasing.
Lamb as the #1WR. They thought he might struggle at OU when Brown left for the NFL and he was better than Brown. And the QB seems to like Lamb and Gallup, along with Schultz, as his favorite targets.
Gallup asking to be more, do more than he has been asked to do before. And he's saying all the right things. He is a very good WR, the only question is the timing of his 100% return.
The #3 WR is not on the team yet.
The effect of McC and Moore being put on the spot because the offense fizzled at the end.

Parsons soph year and how he is implemented in the defense because what we do know is that Quinn stayed. We do know this is a very special player and he's becoming a leader.
The DL is not complete, we do know this.
What the LB corps is going to look like.
The secondary is incomplete but it led the NFL in picks in 2021 and Diggs is still improving.
What players from the D heavy 2021 draft are ready to take the next step because we didn't get to see enough of them.

We do not know what the East is going to look like but I like the Cowboys chances with Jones, Wentz and Hurts as the other QB's. You might be disappointed by the lack of action in FA with the Cowboys but what have the others done to improve?

My point is why just default to the negative when we don't know?

What we do know.

This coaching staff and team went 12-6, swept the East by 20ppg and yes, they only went 6-5 outside the division but that was last year, not this year.

There are reasons to be positive and negative, the choice is yours but with so little known at this time, why not give yourself a break and at least hang in the middle until you do know more. At least give yourself until the draft.
The best and probably only chance this team has to improve in 2022 is if last years draft class takes a very serious second year leap forward....which is possible.

It's was Parsons and a long list of guys who did absolutely nothing, and most considered it a great draft.

Now we think this year will be different and nail all kinds of immediate help up and down the draft while the rest of the league bungles it?

Not gonna happen. They need to bring in some vets or pray that the staff can get a LOT more out of last year's group.

Big_D

Reaction score
But we do know the owner and his son are out in left field somewhere! I don’t see this team overcoming that anymore! The free agent philosophy here is just ridiculous and has been for a long time! They overpay all their own players and completely balk at FA. And it’s happening again. Notice how they only signed their own guys? No other team does that. Not to the level of these 2 clowns!

Reactions: ICP

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think we can provide critical thinking on actions being taken in off season thus far including FA and our prospects for 2022 season.

The draft and then training camp is always a time for renewed optimism . Adding talent to the roster is always a good time.

But perhaps it’s also time not to go into a season with these high hopes following the hype from our Super Bowl or Bust owners rhetoric .

J_Allen

Reaction score
We need to implement a new culture here in Dallas. Let's not complain about every single move and free agent miss. I did not want Von Miller for 6 years 120 million. I never wanted Randy Gregory for 70 million. Six sacks? That's insanity. We get a younger player with almost identical stats in dorrance armstrong.

I'm glad Collins is gone because he let us down last year and the year before that. Williams is also gone. Thank god. Some people said he was a good lineman here and I'm sure those are the same people who said Brandon car was a good cornerback. I have no idea what they're watching.

Just be patient. This needed to be blown up after the first round loss. Yet again.

Big_D

Reaction score
I think we can provide critical thinking on actions being taken in off season thus far including FA and our prospects for 2022 season.

The draft and then training camp is always a time for renewed optimism . Adding talent to the roster is always a good time.

But perhaps it’s also time not to go into a season with these high hopes following the hype from our Super Bowl or Bust owners rhetoric .

He thinks he has a shot every year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He thinks he has a shot every year.
It doesn’t even matter what he thinks. It’s what he sells publicly. And far too many fans buy into it.

I prefer taking the lower expectations and hopeful to be surprised. To each their own.

But it’s difficult to see how this is going to be a more talented roster than last year. More importantly is how do our divisional rivals upgrade their rosters. And the rest of the NFC. If we can’t win our division we are going to be a marginal playoff team.

Sydla

Reaction score
Why default to the negative?

Well for starters, it's not just one bad way to lose a playoff game. It's a quarter century run where the team has won 3 total playoff games. And over that quarter century, the same two men have primarily made all the personnel (and coaching) decisions. Look at your list of what we don't know. It's pretty extensive. And yet the front office is just sitting on their thumbs waiting for the cheap deals to shake out. That strategy has won us what, exactly?

You asked about our NFCE brethern? One of the Eagles biggest issues last year was pass rush. They shed a boob in Barnett and then signed one of the better pass rush options in FA in Reddick. We have clear issues at LG/C on the OL and no real options at this point. Or DEs are Lawrence, Basham and Armstrong. That's it. And yet the front office is acting like we are rolling out a 2000s Giants pass rush with JPP, Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiura. We have no real depth or even solid options at LB right now outside of Parsons and he may end up playing a lot of DE again this year. A bunch of pretty cheap, competent LBs just went off the board for pretty manageable contracts. Does anyone think we will actually sign Wagner? I hope we do but I've learned long ago to curb my expectations.

I think the question to ask isn't why people get so negative early. The better question to ask is why people remain positive or are willing to give the Jones' the benefit of the doubt year after year after year?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A big segment of our fans are causal or fringe. They aren’t as invested as most of us on this forum.

If they can’t get fired up about our potential or prospect they lose interest. This is why our owner feels the need to hype and promote .

Gaede

Reaction score
Sorry, this is not the right time for this.

We came off a playoff loss and jettisoned 6 starters/major contributors, Cooper, Gregory, Collins, Williams, Wilson, LVE. We might lose 7 if Kearse walks. Whether they are great players or not doesnt matter. They were the best we had last year and we have done nothing to replace them. Literally nothing. The team is objectovely weaker today than it was before. If we lined up today, your starting

Unlike last year, we likely won't land a generational talent in this draft. We're picking bottom third each round, not the top half . And even if we did somehow land a phenom (in a draft that is severly lacking in top tier talent), what do we do with the other 6 positions that need starters? What do we do to upgrade starters that actually suck (C, DT, RB)? How do we look ahead to replacing departing players next year?

This team has no plan outside of pray for the best. What is there to feel optimistic about?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why default to the negative?

Well for starters, it's not just one bad way to lose a playoff game. It's a quarter century run where the team has won 3 total playoff games. And over that quarter century, the same two men have primarily made all the personnel (and coaching) decisions. Look at your list of what we don't know. It's pretty extensive. And yet the front office is just sitting on their thumbs waiting for the cheap deals to shake out. That strategy has won us what, exactly?

You asked about our NFCE brethern? One of the Eagles biggest issues last year was pass rush. They shed a boob in Barnett and then signed one of the better pass rush options in FA in Reddick. We have clear issues at LG/C on the OL and no real options at this point. Or DEs are Lawrence, Basham and Armstrong. That's it. And yet the front office is acting like we are rolling out a 2000s Giants pass rush with JPP, Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiura. We have no real depth or even solid options at LB right now outside of Parsons and he may end up playing a lot of DE again this year. A bunch of pretty cheap, competent LBs just went off the board for pretty manageable contracts. Does anyone think we will actually sign Wagner? I hope we do but I've learned long ago to curb my expectations.

I think the question to ask isn't why people get so negative early. The better question to ask is why people remain positive or are willing to give the Jones' the benefit of the doubt year after year after year?
I don't give him the benefit of the doubt at all. He kept McClay so he puts stock in his board.

Any positives I have are in spite of Booger.

As far as remaining positive, why do this at all? Are people so masochistic they need this team? Not enough in society in general to bring a funk.

I will share what I have learned and it took me 64 years to learn it. Optimism's reward is not in the destination but in the journey. I have enough in my life that I know about to get down about, when presented with the unknown, even with history, I choose to give the positive side an even break.

I do not expect this to change anyone's attitude but posters seem so miserable I thought it worth a shot to consider another approach.

Some make this mistake of thinking if they're optimistic, they're buying into Booger's BS and I think that's wrong. I see just as much reason for optimism as the other side so it becomes a matter of choice.